northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Medium/Long Range Discussion

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modeled MJO PS diagrams are out of sync with the stat guidance from both Roundy and the Aussies. I wouldn't trust their results (and therefore, the long range outlooks, either).

Wasn't Roundy phase 8 toward the end of the month? The correlation coefficient with P1 is kind of poor for us even under more synchronized scenarios, all looks kind of meh by me. Even when I lived in NYC it didn't seem like winter "started" until the last week of December anyway.

That's exactly what I don't get. Around our area; Mt. Holly area, winter never really, REALLY picked up until last week of Dec. / early January and went through begining - mid March. To the many people expecting record breaking snows in Nov / Dec. have been and are going to be disappointed. Yea, we may escape with one or two storms (see 12/2005) but honestly - this general time frame isn't prime, ripe for our snows.

That's exactly what I don't get. Around our area; Mt. Holly area, winter never really, REALLY picked up until last week of Dec. / early January and went through begining - mid March. To the many people expecting record breaking snows in Nov / Dec. have been and are going to be disappointed. Yea, we may escape with one or two storms (see 12/2005) but honestly - this general time frame isn't prime, ripe for our snows.

At PHL, the 1981-2010 average date of the first daily snowfall of 1" or more is December 31.

DT with a pot of gold for january lol

but the 80's winter concern me snow wise, don't think much snow in 80 and 85 just cold

No you're right, snow may be moderate, but the cold appears to be coming... 1980 was decidedly the worst of the analog years.

Jan 1971

PHL Temp 27.8, Snow 7.7

ABE Temp 22.0, Snow 11.2

ACY Temp 28.8, Snow 7.2

Jan 1980

PHL Temp 31.7, Snow 6.1

ABE Temp 30.6, Snow 1.0

ACY Temp 30.8, Snow 6.3

Jan 1985

PHL Temp 27.3, Snow 11.9

ABE Temp 24.9, Snow 6.7

ACY Temp 26.7, Snow 15.1

Jan 2004

PHL Temp 26.1, Snow 7.6

ABE Temp 22.0, Snow 16.2

ACY Temp 26.8, Snow 7.9

I personally think theres not much of a chance for snow in the city in the next 10 days. I do think that day 8-10 storm showing up on GFS/EURO has legs. Youd figure the semi block we have would manufacture some kind of a big storm...Just not much cold air to play with. The Euro even bombs the day 6-7 storm out yet theres still not cold enough temps laid down. I do see a nice pattern change in the long range which could mean we switch to having a cold-snow pattern by January 1st.

My semi-educated opinion.

I personally think theres not much of a chance for snow in the city in the next 10 days. I do think that day 8-10 storm showing up on GFS/EURO has legs. Youd figure the semi block we have would manufacture some kind of a big storm...Just not much cold air to play with. The Euro even bombs the day 6-7 storm out yet theres still not cold enough temps laid down. I do see a nice pattern change in the long range which could mean we switch to having a cold-snow pattern by January 1st.

My semi-educated opinion.

IMHO, its not a lack of cold air, its the wind flow that causes it. If we had winds that usher in colder air then it would be colder. You can't get a snow storm on southerly winds. Look at the source region for southerly winds, its warm air. If the areas that i circled wind direction was from the n or ne, those temperatures would be colder. You also notice from this once the winds shift to that direction it cools off.

winds.jpg

IMHO, its not a lack of cold air, its the wind flow that causes it. If we had winds that usher in colder air then it would be colder. You can't get a snow storm on southerly winds. Look at the source region for southerly winds, its warm air. If the areas that i circled wind direction was from the n or ne, those temperatures would be colder. You also notice from this once the winds shift to that direction it cools off.

winds.jpg

And the wrong-direction, warm winds are driven by the fact that the pattern has the storm centers pass to our west?

Both winter events so far this year trended colder as it got closer...if a storm took the verbatim track on GFS someone would get clobbered...We need the preceding low to become strong so we get a pseudo 50/50.

yes as shown the same people who got crushed in the christmas storm 2010 would again, with a similar rapid qpf gradient decline going north. 50/50 shunts storm eastward. All that can be taken from this is there is a large storm signal showing up for the 19th

received 10" locally from that weeks storm, sign me up

I am really liking the potential for the 19th weather it be rain or snow I think it will very soon become a storm we can nail down well in advance. the signal just keeps showing up. Probably will see the euro come in play soon Providing it looses the cutting off it does with the energy out west for the storm. Should be interesting runs ahead.

Hey Tombo,

I totally agree with what you said on the GFS. If the Euro were to do that, then that would grab our attention.

im not saying this solution won't happen just merely saying before we really start going nuts lets get a little more model support. If people also remember a week or so ago i said the dec 10-20 period was the time to watch specifically 15-20...just glad to see a storm, if its rain or snow who knows.

Archived