Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Medium/Long Range Discussion

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This paper is a good primer but there are a lot of not so clear cut scenarios and feedback processes (waves warm upper strat and that warming downwells...timing?). Hybrid placements occur usually and climatology of planetary waves, while subtle, does change from early to late winter. This paper suggests it's negligible, but it isn't.

A North Pacific Low is correlated well to a wave 1 but so is an upwelling high over the North Atlantic (there are mountains in Greenland and land/sea/ice differentials here). In fact this was part of the reason 2009 was so intense. If the N PAC low is further to the NW with a ridge into the NE PAC, this promotes a weaker back and forth wave 1-2 thing...hey just like this year!

HM, my question is, is their a stipulation to this? I mean is it that everytime you get a n pac low it starts the ball moving for the waves or does their have to be a timeline, say if its there for a week then it ignites the response?

Also, what designates a warm enso from a cold? Say el nino, does it refer to where the warming is like east based or west based?

Any good papers on what an ep flux. I looked up one and it was a lot of mind boggling calculations. Any clear cut explanations?

No. It has absolutely zero intuitive physical properties. Kinda like Q vectors. Just know that pointing upward and poleward is good for disrupting the polar vortex.

Can someone explain how to read the MJO forecast. Like What is the red green blue and yellow lines are. I know we want it in 1 7 and 8 but just want to know what is what on it.

The red and blue represent the month. Like that one i believe red is november and blue is october. The numbers are the days...so 4 in blue is october 4th...23 in red is november 23rd. The big bold black dot is the current state of the mjo, this case right on the circle bordering phase 3...from that dot on is the projected forecast...and the little dots are the forecast day and location of the mjo....the spaghetti lines are the diff gefs member forecasts

The red and blue represent the month. Like that one i believe red is november and blue is october. The numbers are the days...so 4 in blue is october 4th...23 in red is november 23rd. The big bold black dot is the current state of the mjo, this case right on the circle bordering phase 3...from that dot on is the projected forecast...and the little dots are the forecast day and location of the mjo....the spaghetti lines are the diff gefs member forecasts

However if the red line stays within the black circle, it's no good either right?

However if the red line stays within the black circle, it's no good either right?

The black circle is called the circle of death, basically their is weak convection in the tropics. When in the circle of death the mjo, which is used to help steer patterns doesn't. Which is hurting us now. The mjo is shot so its all these teleconnections fighting each other,

verbatim thats a rain event for us...sne get a snowstorm...the low tracks basically right over our area...hits the block and moves west to east. But the one after that looks good to my eyes.

Yeah its the follwoing wave that creates the 276 hr storm on the GFS. Euro has same players.

as shown by the other mjo forecasts, the roundy mjo has stronger convection firing the week before christmas in phase 7-8. Though, i still don't see much -olr and the +olr is just starting to fire around christmas time. So i would take a guess in reality the stronger convection would be post christmas time?

2012.png

Thanks Tom

Archived