12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Fall Foliage 2012 - Eastern PA, NJ, DE, northern MD and northern Nevada

Parsley

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really feel we are going to have amazing color this year...after a warm start, September has been amazing. With the cool shot coming end of the month...trees should start to respond shortly after

I too am quite optimistic. The past two summers had relentless heat and dry spells. It wasn't as bad this summer. Late last summer also featured too much rain and wind and I think it messed the foliage up in many areas. I know if did up in Lake George where I was in early October and the color was grab.

Walnut trees near my property line are about half bare already. They dropped glorious yellow-brown leaves. :axe:

These trees have definetely seen better days. Other than that, I don't have many trees on my property (a few japanese maples and a blue spruce), that's about it.

My neighbor's maples will be sure to dump plenty of leaves on my lawn by November.

Walnut trees near my property line are about half bare already. They dropped glorious yellow-brown leaves. :axe:

These trees have definetely seen better days. Other than that, I don't have many trees on my property (a few japanese maples and a blue spruce), that's about it.

My neighbor's maples will be sure to dump plenty of leaves on my lawn by November.

Theory I had when I lived in a more rural location:

He who has the least trees will end up with the most leaves...

I plan on doing a relatively short walk on the Perkiomen Trail this evening. Sunset is now before 7 PM and I can't get out on the trail before 5:45 PM, so I guess it has to be relatively short this time of year. I'll look for the subtle color changes. I will probably be hiking from Perkiomen Woods south towards Oaks.

I plan on doing a relatively short walk on the Perkiomen Trail this evening. Sunset is now before 7 PM and I can't get out on the trail before 5:45 PM, so I guess it has to be relatively short this time of year. I'll look for the subtle color changes. I will probably be hiking from Perkiomen Woods south towards Oaks.

Nice I've done everywhere from mile marker 1 near Oaks to mile marker 15 north of Spring Mount. I usually do 3-4 mile intervals. It's a great trail and a perk of living in the area.

I also usually do 3-4 mile intervals. I've been down to the parking lot near the mile 1 marker, and up to the Rahns Trailhead near mile marker 7.5, I believe. I may try to get down to Oaks again and finish that first mile, and then may move up to explore north of Rahns next week.

The stretch from Oaks, north to just south of downtown Collegeville (near where you live) is so serene. North of there, the trail is too close to Rt. 29 much of the time and it's not as scenic/peaceful. It gets nice again toward Graterford (mile marker 9) and especially once you get

north of mile marker 12 from Spring Mount northward.

What I'm getting at is miles 5-7 are my least favorite thus far. I'd like to get the extreme northern stretch done at some point before winter, but finding the time to do it is another story. Normally, if i have the time I'll walk to 10-8 mile markers (back and forth) as it's near my home.

Like I said, it's a hidden gem in our area.....so glad I use it as much as I do.

The stretch from Oaks, north to just south of downtown Collegeville (near where you live) is so serene. North of there, the trail is too close to Rt. 29 much of the time and it's not as scenic/peaceful. It gets nice again toward Graterford (mile marker 9) and especially once you get

north of mile marker 12 from Spring Mount northward.

What I'm getting at is miles 5-7 are my least favorite thus far. I'd like to get the extreme northern stretch done at some point before winter, but finding the time to do it is another story. Normally, if i have the time I'll walk to 10-8 mile markers (back and forth) as it's near my home.

Like I said, it's a hidden gem in our area.....so glad I use it as much as I do.

I agree - I almost always walk from mile marker 5 south towards the lower numbers to Oaks. There is nothing terribly exciting about going up towards mile marker 6, because you have to cross Route 29, and then you walk behind all of the strip malls and eventually cross Main Street at the Collegeville Diner. Might as well just be walking down an urban sidewalk, though I guess it is nice that the town is so walk-able. No matter what, I am glad I live here - it was definitely a reason my wife & I considered when we bought our house back in January. Now, if only we can get some snow this winter so I can use my cross-country skis on the trail!

I agree - I almost always walk from mile marker 5 south towards the lower numbers to Oaks. There is nothing terribly exciting about going up towards mile marker 6, because you have to cross Route 29, and then you walk behind all of the strip malls and eventually cross Main Street at the Collegeville Diner. Might as well just be walking down an urban sidewalk, though I guess it is nice that the town is so walk-able. No matter what, I am glad I live here - it was definitely a reason my wife & I considered when we bought our house back in January. Now, if only we can get some snow this winter so I can use my cross-country skis on the trail!

Now, watch it turn out that they plow it in Winter ;)

Oh well, at least I'll enjoy the changing of the leaves as I walk the trail over the next month (sorry for hijacking this thread - we now return to your regularly scheduled discussion of fall foliage).

It's all good...not alot of "leaf talk" to talk about anyway. :)

Oh, they don't plow the Perk. Trail so "IF" (and that's a big if) it snow, you should get to use those skis.

Archived