e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Fall Foliage 2012 - Eastern PA, NJ, DE, northern MD and northern Nevada

Parsley

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just look at those pics. and that topography and can't believe you don't get more snow. Then I look at how barren that area is and it makes much more sense. What a bummer.

Yeah, remember that THIS is what Elko actually looks like:

post-39-0-40709300-1350615682_thumb.jpg

The perennial water courses flowing out of the mountains are the only places trees grow outside of the mountains themselves. And the Humboldt River, which flows through Elko, doesn't even have trees... just a bunch of low willow bushes and a few invasive Siberian Elms and Russian Olives.

Yeah, remember that THIS is what Elko actually looks like:

I love the desert, but what always struck me funny was that it was the opposite of the east. Here, rural areas are forested, and the urban areas were cleared (to various extent) of vegetation and trees. Out in the desert, the rural areas are somewhat treeless, with only desert scrub, while the urban areas are planted up like an oasis. At least in AZ it was that way.

I love the desert, but what always struck me funny was that it was the opposite of the east. Here, rural areas are forested, and the urban areas were cleared (to various extent) of vegetation and trees. Out in the desert, the rural areas are somewhat treeless, with only desert scrub, while the urban areas are planted up like an oasis. At least in AZ it was that way.

Yes that's how it is in northern Nevada too. East-central Nevada, around Ely, there are a lot of scrubby pinion and juniper trees on the surrounding mountains so its not really like that so much.

Archived