Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Fall Foliage 2012 - Eastern PA, NJ, DE, northern MD and northern Nevada

Parsley

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the time has come to rake leaves in HL.

for what ever reason, the color were not perfect imby.

peak is here. but seems that this year was not great.

pumpkins seem decent though

That's the general impression I'm getting from the pictures. 2009 was a great year, I came back for that and it was gorgeous. I have a ton of pics. This year, seems not nearly so nice, but its only October 13th. Maybe its not done yet.

Fall 09:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.190773791604.167461.562511604&type=1&l=eeb87ba535

That's the general impression I'm getting from the pictures. 2009 was a great year, I came back for that and it was gorgeous. I have a ton of pics. This year, seems not nearly so nice, but its only October 13th. Maybe its not done yet.

Fall 09:

https://www.facebook...=1&l=eeb87ba535

Nice 09' pics.

Pictures are pictures, can't judge a place by a few, really. The color up in NE PA was solid (B+/A-), especially in comparison to what I've seen traveling around the past 2 autumns (which featured more drought/extreme heat) than this summer. Sure, it may not be the best ever but major improvement over the past few years. I do note that the color appears more muted across SE PA.....maybe that's because it's a little early, but maybe it's because of the dry/hot stretch early this summer that areas across northern PA didn't see to the same extent.

Hence the reason I like to go elsewhere each fall when looking for foliage, NE PA, upstate NY, New England all seem to produce a greater show.

I think it's still too early. Posters in NNE noted the muted color and worried of a bad season back in mid September, but the color exploded in the 7-10 days leading up to peak. After the cold nights/sunny day combo we've been having recently, I'd expect colors to become much more vibrant in the coming 10 days for SE PA, NJ, etc. The color that's out right now is actually on the early side - most years I recall predominately green trees up through October 15th. Oct 15th-23rd, third week of the month usually features the transition from low/mod color into high color range, then peaking the last week of Oct. We've had a very similar pattern to New England this fall, so I think its more about timing. Maybe I'm wrong but I expect things to pick up nicely in the next week or so.

I think it's still too early. Posters in NNE noted the muted color and worried of a bad season back in mid September, but the color exploded in the 7-10 days leading up to peak. After the cold nights/sunny day combo we've been having recently, I'd expect colors to become much more vibrant in the coming 10 days for SE PA, NJ, etc. The color that's out right now is actually on the early side - most years I recall predominately green trees up through October 15th. Oct 15th-23rd, third week of the month usually features the transition from low/mod color into high color range, then peaking the last week of Oct. We've had a very similar pattern to New England this fall, so I think its more about timing. Maybe I'm wrong but I expect things to pick up nicely in the next week or so.

You may be right. 2009 featured a cool (relatively speaking) September and a cool (again relatively speaking) October, and peak was still near the end of the month. I guess I started believing all the reports of an early peak this year. Maybe everyone forgot when peak was supposed to happen (last week of October for the Del Valley).

You may be right. 2009 featured a cool (relatively speaking) September and a cool (again relatively speaking) October, and peak was still near the end of the month. I guess I started believing all the reports of an early peak this year. Maybe everyone forgot when peak was supposed to happen (last week of October for the Del Valley).

I just checked back to my 09' pics and the color was awesome.

As for this year, things are definetely further along by 7-10 days. Leaf drop for example in my neck of the woods is further along than normal. Maybe it's just going to be a more drawn out foliage season, earlier start for some trees but same peak color (give or take a week).

We shall see.

Yeah have to admit I bought into it to - seeing how quickly NNE reached peak this year. But the first week of October featured a torch with warm nights, and we really just turned cold 5-6 days ago. Maybe peak will be a little early but obviously not too early given its mid October and we're still looking at 70% summer foliage.

Also the talk of the early spring bloom made it seem more likely for an earlier peak.

Its strange around here. Some trees are peak and many are still green. We have a week or 2 before peak IMO.

I don't think that's too unusual... species are varied and some peak early, others late. When I was a kid, I remember always hearing the "promise" of fall foliage in terms of how Northern New England sees it with wall-to-wall color, but always been underwhelmed by the mixture of some early, some late. The best foliage years are the ones where the early ones manage to hold them late while the later ones are still coloring up.

the time has come to rake leaves in HL.

for what ever reason, the color were not perfect imby.

peak is here. but seems that this year was not great.

pumpkins seem decent though

That's the general impression I'm getting from the pictures.

It doesn't seem to be that great here. There are spots that look good, but, as my wife said yesterday, everything looks kind of dull. There is emerging color, but it seems to not be very vibrant...at least not yet. Perhaps next weekend maybe.

we were rather cool last week...that sped things up a bit on the color transition side.

I do agree that Philly is about ten days away...the burbs will probably peak next weekend.

Since I last posted a couple days ago, there's definitely been a noticable increase in color, probably a delayed response to the recent cold nights. My guess would be 50-60% changed here in Monmouth County, getting close to high color explosion. Of course we have our usual situation with many maples full peak in beautiful oranges/reds, and some oaks just getting going. As I said I think most of us will note an uptick in the coming days.

Archived