• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Intense heat in early August (and very late July)

Hoar_Frost

LOL 93 when everyone else stayed in the 80s. Its a themes that has been going on ALL summer (ie DET has already had FIVE less 90F days than DTW). Its starting to look suspicious. Stebo, any chance they need to recalibrate the thermometer at DTW?

No, I think it is pretty much right on. I have checked it against our backup system we have in office and it is pretty much right on 95% of the time, at worst it may be a half degree off, but when we are talking a huge airfield with a lot of concrete out there a half degree isn't shocking.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Saturday will be our last shot at 100 for awhile, and possibly the rest of the summer. NAM shows us over 100 again tomorrow too, but it is too warm most of the time. In fact, if the NAM verified every time we'd have well over 20 100 degree days this summer lol. Looks like 95 tomorrow, and maybe 100 Saturday if clouds hold off long enough.

No, I think it is pretty much right on. I have checked it against our backup system we have in office and it is pretty much right on 95% of the time, at worst it may be a half degree off, but when we are talking a huge airfield with a lot of concrete out there a half degree isn't shocking.

Cool, at least its accurate. (I figured they stayed up on calibration, back-up, etc for first-order stations). Makes sense I guess, esp with the concrete.

Cool, at least its accurate. (I figured they stayed up on calibration, back-up, etc for first-order stations). Makes sense I guess, esp with the concrete.

Yeah I would compare it vs ADG/ARB/JXN/YIP before DET, as they don't have the water influences that DET has.

Yeah I would compare it vs ADG/ARB/JXN/YIP before DET, as they don't have the water influences that DET has.

I always want to compare it to DET in the mindset that Detroits official station used to be in DET until 1966 when it moved to DTW, but the two stations are what, some 20+ miles away lol? When the switch first started in the 1960s, DTW came out decidedly cooler soley as a product of overnight lows (usually some 4-7F cooler than DET on radiating nights), even then the highs were often somewhat milder at DTW (just not as often as now). Whereas now while lows still average a tiny hair cooler at DTW, the highs are uniformly higher on most days.

LOL 93 when everyone else stayed in the 80s. Its a themes that has been going on ALL summer (ie DET has already had FIVE less 90F days than DTW). Its starting to look suspicious. Stebo, any chance they need to recalibrate the thermometer at DTW?

Metro Airport likely saw the most sunshine out of all of the sites yesterday.

The northern suburbs had to contend with an awful out of alto/cirrostratus for much of the day, where as it was more thin/passive down towards Metro Airport.

Archived