joxey
End of July 2012 obs/discussion

Ian

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would take some fancy resume work

Forum time= PhD?

Maybe you could be the public information person/consultant given your CWG experience. I've always cringed when local media goes on the air and says there's a "slight" risk. The outlooks aren't for public use IMO - they are for forecasters and the word "slight" is super misleading. It took me 6 years to hammer into my parents minds that "slight" does not necessarily mean that severe is very unlikely to occur.

Maybe you could be the public information person/consultant given your CWG experience. I've always cringed when local media goes on the air and says there's a "slight" risk. The outlooks aren't for public use IMO - they are for forecasters and the word "slight" is super misleading. It took me 6 years to hammer into my parents minds that "slight" does not necessarily mean that severe is very unlikely to occur.

If jobs like that exist within noaa would certainly consider.. thinking of exiting the policy world already. ;)

If jobs like that exist within noaa would certainly consider.. thinking of exiting the policy world already. ;)

You'd certainly do well in a position like that. I'm sure a few here and there exist - but I'd guess they are few and far between.

The disconnect between NWS and it's branches and the media can be really frustrating. Especially in a time when everyone wants to be an armchair weather forecaster.

So now I'm curious...

What does "slight" actually mean then? Honest question!

So now I'm curious...

What does "slight" actually mean then? Honest question!

Here's a link to a good read from SPC -

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/SPC_probotlk_info.html

It's all in the probability forecasting when compared to climo. I suppose this formula is fine for the forecasters who understand - but the general public really doesn't understand this type of forecasting. I have to explain to people that moderate risk days are very significant and that you seldom see probs of over 45% in this area. People don't understand that the risk means "within 25 miles of a point" - So when there is a risk for severe and their neighborhood doesn't experience anything, they assume the forecast was incorrect. In reality, the forecast meant something closer to: "there is a 45% chance of a severe hail report occurring within 25 miles of a point" - So while that person didn't experience the event, a person 15 miles away might have had a perfectly verified report of severe.

Here's a link to a good read from SPC -

http://www.spc.noaa....botlk_info.html

It's all in the probability forecasting when compared to climo. I suppose this formula is fine for the forecasters who understand - but the general public really doesn't understand this type of forecasting. I have to explain to people that moderate risk days are very significant and that you seldom see probs of over 45% in this area. People don't understand that the risk means "within 25 miles of a point" - So when there is a risk for severe and their neighborhood doesn't experience anything, they assume the forecast was incorrect. In reality, the forecast meant something closer to: "there is a 45% chance of a severe hail report occurring within 25 miles of a point" - So while that person didn't experience the event, a person 15 miles away might have had a perfectly verified report of severe.

Thanks.

The other big thing that was interesting to me is that isolated pulse-type storms aren't part of those forecasts - just "organized severe weather." Also, I thought it interesting - and sensible - to have the differences among SLGT, MDT, and HIGH risks associated with TORN, WIND, and HAIL.

5% tor up north now

...VT/NY/ERN AND CENTRAL PA...

THE FIRST AREA OF CONCERN WILL BE ACROSS PARTS OF VT/NY/ERN AND

CENTRAL PA WHERE FULL SUNSHINE IS RAPIDLY DESTABILIZING THE AIR

MASS. DEWPOINTS NEAR 70F WILL HELP YIELD EARLY AFTERNOON MLCAPE

VALUES OVER 2000 J/KG WITH LITTLE CAP. STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO FORM

BY 18Z OVER THIS REGION AND SPREAD SLOWLY SOUTHEASTWARD. A

SHORTWAVE TROUGH OVER ONTARIO WILL APPROACH THE REGION THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON...WHICH WILL STRENGTHEN LOW/MID LEVEL WIND FIELDS AND

INCREASE THE RISK OF A FEW SUPERCELLS. DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE

HAIL WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THIS REGION THROUGH THE AFTERNOON.

A SECOND ROUND OF SEVERE STORMS MAY AFFECT THIS AREA AFTER DARK...AS

THE MAIN UPPER TROUGH OVERSPREADS THE REGION. PRESENCE OF NORTHWEST

FLOW ALOFT AND STEEPENING LAPSE RATES COULD RESULT IN REPEAT

DEVELOPMENT OF STRONG/SEVERE STORMS ACROSS THE REGION WELL INTO THE

EVENING/NIGHT.

...OH/WRN PA/WV/ERN KY...

INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS ARE LIKELY TO DEVELOP SOUTHWESTWARD INTO PARTS

OF OH/WRN PA/WV/KY DURING THE MID/LATE AFTERNOON AFTER LOW CLOUDS

DISSIPATE AND HEATING ENSUES. THIS REGION IS IN AN AREA OF SLIGHTLY

WEAKER MID LEVEL WINDS AND WARMER TEMPERATURES ALOFT. HOWEVER...IT

STILL APPEARS POSSIBLE THAT ISOLATED SEVERE STORMS WILL OCCUR WITH

DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL. INCREASING SOUTHWESTERLY LOW LEVEL

WINDS WILL YIELD FAVORABLE SHEAR PROFILES FOR SUPERCELLS THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING...INCLUDING A THREAT FOR A TORNADO OR

TWO.

...VA/NC...

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO EXPECTED TO FORM THIS AFTERNOON

OVER PARTS OF VA/NC AS SURFACE TEMPERATURES WARM AND BL MIXING

DEEPENS. FORCING MECHANISMS ARE WEAK IN THIS REGION...BUT THOSE

STORMS THAT FORM WILL POSE A RISK OF DAMAGING WINDS AND HAIL.

post-1615-0-68824600-1343060295_thumb.gi

I like how the current day 2 outlook like avoids the LWX CWA like it's the plague :|

kinda matches the nam.. blows the complex into WV then redevelops it over VA.

5% tor up north now

A SECOND ROUND OF SEVERE STORMS MAY AFFECT THIS AREA AFTER DARK...AS

THE MAIN UPPER TROUGH OVERSPREADS THE REGION. PRESENCE OF NORTHWEST

FLOW ALOFT AND STEEPENING LAPSE RATES COULD RESULT IN REPEAT

DEVELOPMENT OF STRONG/SEVERE STORMS ACROSS THE REGION WELL INTO THE

EVENING/NIGHT.

I enjoy this part.

So there is an MD out for watch unlikely to our south... an STW just issued to our NE (well, NE PA :lol: ) and a new one to our west into WV that talks about SSE moving sups possible with large hail and an isolated tor possible :lol:

Yep, I'm watching those coming SE out of central Ohio..nothing too exciting yet. A broken showerery line passed through here around lunch time. It did nothing but raise the DP a little. DPs are pretty high now. It feels like you could slice the air with a knife.

Archived