Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Weekend Storm Disco (Dec 18th & 19th)

WeatherNC

Hey guys, check this out... :snowman:

There should be a rule in the main-side model thread about using the word Mid-Atlantic, or MA for short. It is in every other post, and from folks who, you guessed it, live in the MA. "Looks good for the MA" "All we need is another 50 mile shift and the MA is in play" "Brings 3-6" to the northern MA this run" etc... That thread goes from NAM initialization to MA weenie-fest in no time flat, forcing a mental cut and paste just to gain useful information. Some things never change.

Wow, anxious to see the Euro.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At face value, this run of the Canadian would be a warning type event for areas along and west of a Columbia - Fayetteville - Elizabeth City line. Very similar to the 0z run, so continuity is there, with respect to backside QPF details. A little disconcerting that it takes the QPF so far north into the MA and NE, as climo favors it shutting off above the Delmarva. This started looking like a NE NC and SE VA special yesterday, and this run adds more confidence to that scenario, however, central NC and even parts of SC (and N GA) can do well in these types of events.

Must be a good run of the Euro -- if it were bad, it would run on time ...

yeah its creeping. Its out to 18 hour now, and its recognizing the precip in Ala and Ga now, has it reaching as accum by the 18 hour, right to us. Temps aloft still below freezing, so if any thing can overcome this dry air, we may end up with some front end dusting anyway. Seems like the models have underestimated the precip in Ga and Alabama so far, although i know its light. Just snuck a peak at the 24 hour, and it has almost a .10 here, and by then we've changed over. The earlier and heavier the moisture , the more likely we have of a dusting anyway.

Hoping it pulls a rabbit out of the hat on Saturday . Good luck :snowman:

the euro is colder and further south in NC for early tomorow, with about .10" or more in southern NC now. I think its recognized theres more moisture. It has the 2m temps subfreezing at south of CLT at 24 hours, and then jumps it to above 40 deg. by 18z. Front end shenanigans are possible even down here overnight and early am.

I'm telling you, Dr. No is pissed that this run is a big hit for the Eastern Seaboard and so he's delaying release ....

the euro is colder and further south in NC for early tomorow, with about .10" or more in southern NC now. I think its recognized theres more moisture. It has the 2m temps subfreezing at south of CLT at 24 hours, and then jumps it to above 40 deg. by 18z. Front end shenanigans are possible even down here overnight and early am.

over .25" in n. NC and most of tha falls before going above freezing at the surface, so pretty decent winter storm there, but western VA is hit really hard. Overall more moisture in this for NC than previous runs. I think northern NC has a sig. snow to ice scenario tomorrow.

like I 40 north, or confined to near the border? Sorry for the IMBY question, just looking for some clarification.

Hmmm. Haven't been following all this closely, but at 72 hours, the 850 0c line is almost at N.C./S.C. border -- isn't that colder?

by 42 hours the wave is out to sea, and the moisture is .10" in all of NC atleast, .25" in northern quarter, .50" in western VA , ne Tn, srn WVA some .75" there as well. . The 850 then is from southern VA to boone to southern Mo.

Well. Its out to 78 hours and the news isn't good. The zero is CLT to Ark/LA border, but the wave is flat. Its gone, poof. Just passing sprinkles or light rain in N. Ga. By 84 hour, a 1012 is strung out off the SE coast, some pockets of trace (less than.10) over the eastern Carolinas and some dots of less than .10" scattered in the Southeast. A complete non event, just passing cirrus.

Dr. No is back and is pissed...

Well. Its out to 78 hours and the news isn't good. The zero is CLT to Ark/LA border, but the wave is flat. Its gone, poof. Just passing sprinkles or light rain in N. Ga. By 84 hour, a 1012 is strung out off the SE coast, some pockets of trace (less than.10) over the eastern Carolinas and some dots of less than .10" scattered in the Southeast. A complete non event, just passing cirrus.

Sigh ...

I have to admit, the euro hasn't been my fav. for storms this year since Oct. I think the GFS has handled things pretty well though. Theres a pretty big difference int eh southern stream seen on both. ECM is flat almost non-existent, whereas other models have more in tact. So it will be interesting to see if the GFS leads the way again on this, normally in the past it wasn't good to have the GFS on your side, but in some patterns the GFS is better. The cold air appears it will be here, but even that is close. We really need to amp that shortwave with a little pna ridging out west.

its doing the same as 00z last night northern stream looks better than a couple days ago but the s/w is getting crushed. either the nam and gfs and just about every other model are going to bust or the euro is having trouble with southwest energy again. but i think the american models are smoking something again like always.:arrowhead::lightning:

Archived