Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Weekend Storm Disco (Dec 18th & 19th)

WeatherNC

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird things happening in this pattern that keeps its "anti-snow" guns aimed right at western SC and southern NC. So far we've had a good strong northeast Vortex which keeps cold air in the east. A couple of times now it looked like much of NC would get snow from systems that have trended north . But the storm a couple weeks ago trended south with time (remember the one that gave a few flurries to the deep south- actually came a little north late). So some things are trending north , some are south, just depends on the strength and timing of the cold pressing south. All the Apps and points west have had some decent snow showers and now the good glazing in ATL to BHM regions, plus their numerous snow showers. Central and northern and eastern NC have had snow and ice twice now. Looks like my region to CLT is about the one spot that can't get much in this pattern, except brief token flakes or pellets, but nothing really. Its possible that the southern and eastern sections south of here could get backside snows Saturday night, and if that happens the big donut hole will be squarely on top of me and Burgers region .:yikes: We need some Gulf development , even though usually it comes at the expense of cold air. Sigh, winter weather lovers here have a hard time.

Now is the winter of our discontent. At least the pattern seems to be locked down which is one of those double edge swords. We get chances but if we keep missing out it's almost worse then not having the chances at all. Guess I'm a sadist though so it works out. If this thing makes a bullseye for the east I might just make a drive and chase.

850 is the freezing line correct? How low are we talking?

It's the freezing line at 850 mb or around 5,000 ft. (850 mb is the point at which you are below 85% of the atmosphere and above 15% of it). Sea level average is 1013 mb, I think.

Generally, the 850 mb line is a good gauge to use to determine whether you will get rain or snow, but it's possible that there are warm pockets at other levels of the atmosphere, plus the surface may not be cold enough.

Archived