• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer of 2012 BANTER thread...

ag3

Not trying to be a Debbie downer. Just bantering about not wishing for tornados or lightning strikes that burn down homes. I love blizzards and noreasters with winds overs 60...but I don't route for death which always comes w severe storms.

Death comes with those types of weather, too. And not a single person here "roots" for death with ANY weather. What an awful strawman.

I also wouldn't say tornadoes "always" cause death. The vast majority of tornado fatalities are caused by EF4 and EF5 tornadoes which account for a very small (~1%) percentage of occurring tornadoes. A very large number of weak tornadoes cause no fatalities.

pie2rb.gif

pie1rb.gif

Source: http://www.tornadopr...cale/fscale.htm

Even in an outbreak, like in May 2011 in Oklahoma, most tornadoes didn't cause any fatalities or even injuries. http://www.srh.noaa....24-tornadotable

The person dying in a snowstorm is no less tragic than a person dying in a particularly strong tornado. Let's not assign a rating scale to this....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Death comes with those types of weather, too. And not a single person here "roots" for death with ANY weather. What an awful strawman.

I also wouldn't say tornadoes "always" cause death. The vast majority of tornado fatalities are caused by EF4 and EF5 tornadoes which account for a very small (~1%) percentage of occurring tornadoes. A very large number of weak tornadoes cause no fatalities.

pie2rb.gif

pie1rb.gif

Source: http://www.tornadopr...cale/fscale.htm

Even in an outbreak, like in May 2011 in Oklahoma, most tornadoes didn't cause any fatalities or even injuries. http://www.srh.noaa....24-tornadotable

The person dying in a snowstorm is no less tragic than a person dying in a particularly strong tornado. Let's not assign a rating scale to this....

there were several guess the death toll threads in OT for recent tornado outbreaks.

LOL what?

Do you not remember the deaths that occurred to people in their houses in New York City just 2 years ago due to the snowstorm?

the snow did not cause that directly, lazy dot workers and a half asleep mayor did. City has handled worse storms than that before with no deaths.

there were several guess the death toll threads in OT for recent tornado outbreaks.

Okay? I don't see how that proves anything (other than that people here can be insensitive trolls). No one is saying tornadoes don't cause damage or death that is often severe. I just take significant issue with the idea that a) snowstorms are somehow much "better" to "root" for because they cause fewer fatalities and B) that all tornadoes cause death and destruction which is simply not true. Add in the strawman that people who root for tornadoes are "rooting for death" and you have one hell of a bad post...

Okay? I don't see how that proves anything (other than that people here can be insensitive trolls). No one is saying tornadoes don't cause damage or death that is often severe. I just take significant issue with the idea that a) snowstorms are somehow much "better" to "root" for because they cause fewer fatalities and B) that all tornadoes cause death and destruction which is simply not true. Add in the strawman that people who root for tornadoes are "rooting for death" and you have one hell of a bad post...

meh, im too tired to care either way tonight

projected snow totals this winter

AG3: 55 inches

Cool: 52.5 inches

Metfan: 32.5 inches

Allsnow: 21 inches

Mt. Earthlight: 0.1 inches, 20 inches of sleet

bmc10: 122 inches

PSV88: 80 inches

bxengine: 101 inches

tornado jay: 101.5 inches

Isotherm: TBD

forky: 9 inches

snowlover76: -10 inches

awesome! You rule, dude!

Who called for it to be in the 30's? NO ONE DID.

and guess what, it rained yesterday and it could rain today. So you are wrong there as well.

You should move to Death Vally if you like the heat so much.

um yes there was a poster who said upper 30s

numerous poster talked about an ugly week with rain chances.

one poster scoffed at my high temps that Mt Holly was spitting out of 76-78 and said lots of luck. I will look back in that thread and copy the posts

um yes there was a poster who said upper 30s

numerous poster talked about an ugly week with rain chances.

one poster scoffed at my high temps that Mt Holly was spitting out of 76-78 and said lots of luck. I will look back in that thread and copy the posts

What did you hit today? High of 74 with a low of 58 is almost a -10 departure! Can't get much colder then that in late June.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't believe that psv88 was suggesting that snowstorms were better because of causing fewer fatalities. I think it was implied that they cause just as many if not more deaths than tornadoes. I think his point was that they should be the preferred "poison" or poison of choice from mother nature if such a preference could be made, because they are simply much more interesting or exciting than elusive and fleeting tornadoes.

One other point, even if you accept the premise that not everyone gets excited by snowstorms (Forky for instance?), I think you could make the argument that at least there are some benefits that you can still get from stormstorms (hydration, ski industry, asthetically pleasing), but there is no real benefit whatsoever that can be derived from tornadoes. They may be interesting to study and photograph, but they only cause destruction and death, even the minor ones.

I was the one who called for jacket weather ...50's and wind this morning is jacket weather. In fact I saw a few folks going to work wearing jackets. And yes somebody did post upper 30's for Wednesday morning but that poster was taking about well UPSTATE NY.

thank you. I hit 74 today and it was 60 with sun when I went out today for work and had my usual attire of cutoff sleeves and short and no I was not cold at all. It will hit 80 tomorrow, if I said that last week I would be laughed at as people were fascinated with the upper level low. Its almost as if every time an extreme cold or troughy solution is spit out it is treated like it will 100% verify

thank you. I hit 74 today and it was 60 with sun when I went out today for work and had my usual attire of cutoff sleeves and short and no I was not cold at all. It will hit 80 tomorrow, if I said that last week I would be laughed at as people were fascinated with the upper level low. Its almost as if every time an extreme cold or troughy solution is spit out it is treated like it will 100% verify

I understand it was not as doom and gloom as expected....but 10 degrees below normal is impressive for june.....i kno ur eye candy...but even i left the house in a hoodie today...

Nobody that knows what they are talking about said that the whole week would be cool. Just Monday to Wednesday.

Yesterday was a -6.

Today was a -8 to -10

Tomorrow a 0 to -2 likely

That's a good cold snap. Especially today. A -10 departure and 2 degrees off the record low for NYC is always impressive in late June.

Sundog, on 20 June 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

First off who said we have to pull out our ski pants for this upcoming cool down? Secondly we all know that forecasts that far out are skewed toward climo. You can look at this current heat spell for evidence of forecasts getting warmer as the event approaches.

)NEexteme: Exactly, and also take a look at this past weekend when temps struggled to get to 70 with lows in the upper 40's in some spots. As we got closer and closer the forecasts got cooler and cooler. The same deal will most likely happen again next week and beyond. Good luck with that 78-80 forecasts .

Sundog, on 20 June 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

First off who said we have to pull out our ski pants for this upcoming cool down? Secondly we all know that forecasts that far out are skewed toward climo. You can look at this current heat spell for evidence of forecasts getting warmer as the event approaches.

)NEexteme: Exactly, and also take a look at this past weekend when temps struggled to get to 70 with lows in the upper 40's in some spots. As we got closer and closer the forecasts got cooler and cooler. The same deal will most likely happen again next week and beyond. Good luck with that 78-80 forecasts .

I'm confused. How was yesterday and today climo????!!!!!

Yesterday was a -6 and today is around a -8 to -10!!!!!!!

How is that climo? Are you OK tonight?

those were not my posts, they were copies of two other posters last week. I had posted highs of 78, 76, and 80 for Mon-Wed as forecasted by Mt Holly last Thursday, these guys were basically saying these forecasts would be wrong. I had a high of 74 today which is close to the 76

My whole point in all this is that there were people thinking we would have an extended cooldown this week of major proportions. I think one cool day of the bunch and only one day where there was even a chance of rain made this upper level gloom and doom talk a big no show

those were not my posts, they were copies of two other posters last week. I had posted highs of 78, 76, and 80 for Mon-Wed as forecasted by Mt Holly last Thursday, these guys were basically saying these forecasts would be wrong. I had a high of 74 today which is close to the 76

My whole point in all this is that there were people thinking we would have an extended cooldown this week of major proportions. I think one cool day of the bunch and only one day where there was even a chance of rain made this upper level gloom and doom talk a big no show

Your high of 74 and low of 59 today is close to 10 degrees below normal. That is very impressive for late June. Why don't you understand that? Normal high temps for your area are 83-84.

Yesterday was a -6 departure. That's nothing to sneeze at either.

NYC's 58 degrees was 2 degrees off their record this morning.

The past 2 days have been way below normal. Tomorrow will likely be normal to -2.

snowlover76: -10 inches

thanks bra!

I will take my 80 to the bank...no prediction for the wild weather region of SW CT?

And yea any argument that blizzards are just as deadly as tornadoes/lightning is ridiculous.

Again, the difference is the ability to prepare. People cannot prepare for a tornado and the vast majority will have no clue one is coming or even how to take cover. I think landfalling hurricanes are pretty cool and any sensible people will evacuate or go to shelters, i dont buy the argument that some people cannot leave. The government always has places for people to go, schools, etc.

I think summer should be hot and dry, fall filled with noreasters and winter cold and snow. Spring is what it is.

Hoping for no rain this weekend, hosting a massive bbq and really dont want to deal with any storms, and any of you who route for storms/rain on the weekend are insane.