joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Drought in Lower Lakes/Ohio Valley

Geos

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazed to see the D0 spread as close as it has to here on the latest update.  Feels nowhere even close to dry here.  Had a few week period in July where it finally dried out a bit, but it's generally been a very wet year.

I think one thing to consider is all that early season rain we had ran off.  So soil moisture is was not completely replenished.  At least down here in the west central part of the state that was the case.  Every rain we got was a big 3 incher and it came in a hurry then ran off.  It was getting try here a couple weeks ago really and I'd heard some people who'd done some digging and found no moisture quite a ways down.  I think that's just because of the drought last year and rains running off this year.  

August 7, 2012 was the peak of drought conditions in Indiana last year...25% of the state was in the exceptional category. Compare to this year's current map, which has the state in much better shape...with the abnormal dry area receiving rainfall in the past 7 days. Alas, our resident drought cheerleader weeps quietly. 

It can be as dry as it wants now, the crops are completely grown and we are locked in for a tremendous harvest.  Drying out this time of year will actually help farmers get into the fields and harvest at an early date, and help them to avoid much post-harvest drying.  Many of the fields around here that were flooded well into May dried out enough just in time to be planted with soybeans.  All of those fields look fantastic, and should yield great crop production. 

Wow, never thought we'd be back in a moderate drought after the ridiculously wet spring and early summer.  Severe drought now only 40 miles to the southwest.  I must say the grass around the neighborhood is about as dead as it was last summer. 

If it wasn't for the 0.70" of rain last week, the grass here would be in rough shape. But now it's really green and growing well. The D0 could easily fill back in, in northern IL in the next week if it doesn't rain.

If it wasn't for the 0.70" of rain last week, the grass here would be in rough shape. But now it's really green and growing well. The D0 could easily fill back in, in northern IL in the next week if it doesn't rain.

Yeah don't see any real soakers in sight.  The NWS did have several days in a row with 30% pops for us starting tomorrow, but I see it has been whittled away to just a 20% chance on Sat night lol. 

Severe drought now includes the QC, Cedar Rapids, and LaCrosse.  Severe only about 10 miles west of here now. 

We need a pattern change, like the GFS shows!

Trees are going to loose their leaves earlier this year if the dryness keeps up.

Writing's on the wall with re: to fall color and leaf drop. Trees are done nourishing their leaves.... Too late for rain to help any

Yeah you're pretty much right on with that. Seen about 0.80" of rain in the last 2.5 weeks. Their are some leaves on the ground here, but probably less than some areas that are drier.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived