joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Drought in Lower Lakes/Ohio Valley

Geos

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The drought must of been pretty bad in southern WI if we are still in the extreme category after 3-4 inches of rain the past 2 weeks.

Decent reduction in extreme conditions in Wisconsin, down to 9.1% from the 19.7% of last week's drought monitor.

On the opposite end, look at Missouri...92.8% of the state in the extreme category, up from the 68.9% of last week.

Posted in the thread on the main forum...

92.8% of Missouri, 88.3% of Kansas, 83% of Nebraska, 80.6% of Arkansas (44.5% exceptional), 71.6% of Oklahoma, 71.3% of Illinois, 65% of Colorado, 59% of Indiana, 40.9% of Georgia (24.6% exceptional) in the extreme drought category.

Slight increases in the extreme and exceptional drought categories.

Almost a quarter of Indiana in the exceptional drought category. Squeeze play for LAF to the north/northwest and south/southwest.

At least there's been an overall decrease in drought coverage...haven't seen that in some time

The rainfall deficit continues to increase here, with the deficit for the year to date at the highest level thus far...

Last...

7 Days: 0.07" (-0.83")

14 Days: 0.49" (-1.26")

30 Days: 1.94" (-1.80")

60 Days: 3.32" (-4.37")

90 Days: 6.10" (-5.66")

180 Days: 12.33" ( -7.43" )

Year: 13.96" (-7.71")

Water Year: 22.22" (-7.67")

Jan: 1.63" (-0.23")

Feb: 1.72" (+0.17")

Mar: 2.00" (-0.29")

Apr: 2.10" (-1.59")

May: 3.15" (-1.05")

June: 1.42" (-2.56")

July: 1.94" (-1.86")

Aug: 0.00" (-0.30")

Tree Lafayette has several rain gauges around Lafayette. I've gotten a few emails from them saying anywhere between 1.9 and 2.5" around the city total from last evening's and the overnight rain. Not sure how accurate those gauges are though. Only 1.02" at my place.

We had rain early this morning but apparently it didn't get recorded.

LAF is out of my precipitation total updates for Indiana now. Too many missing days.

24 hour totals, ending this morning, from local CoCoRaHS observers...

West Lafayette: 5.1 WSW: 1.95"

Lafayette 2.2 NE: 1.71"

Lafayette 2.2 S: 1.53"

Lafayette 0.5 S: 1.51"

Year to date totals from the above locations with minimal amounts of missing days...

Lafayette 2.2 S: 18.12"

Lafayette 2.2 NE: 15.66"

West Lafayette 5.1 WSW: 15.41"

Precip may be nearing normal, but the scene here looks nothing like what Geos is describing. It's still full of very brown patches, at least on some normally grassy surfaces. Hopefully cooler temps and rain on Thursday will do the trick.

Yes, I have huge patches of brown through the middle of my front lawn. The only part that's green is really around the edges and shady parts. The back yard is green though because I haven't cut it since early June.

I just got around to getting the high weeds chopped down around my fences. It's just been too hot and due to health reasons, I just don't do well outside when it's over 90 degrees. My neighbor had a heatstroke last weekend and was in the hospital for a couple days. I'd rather not have that experience.

As of 8 August:

1 August to date: 0.62" (second least of Kane County CoCoRaHS stations having minimal missing data)

1 June to date: 4.56" (least in Kane County)

1 April to date: 8.65" (least in Kane County)

1 January to date: 13.39" (least in Kane County)

1 October to date (water year to date): 21.50" (least in Kane County)

After Saturday afternoon's rain, the topsoil is quite dry again already. Lawns in my neighborhood, although not at their worst of the year, are hardly the lush green that's being reported to my east across Metro Chicago. Vegetable yields in my garden have been fair to average but only because of supplemental irrigation by hose. If I had to make a call, I would say that 2012 will be a sub-30-inch year for precipitation at my location, and there is a chance that it could be a sub-25-inch year.

As of 8 August:

1 August to date: 0.62" (second least of Kane County CoCoRaHS stations having minimal missing data)

1 June to date: 4.56" (least in Kane County)

1 April to date: 8.65" (least in Kane County)

1 January to date: 13.39" (least in Kane County)

1 October to date (water year to date): 21.50" (least in Kane County)

After Saturday afternoon's rain, the topsoil is quite dry again already. Lawns in my neighborhood, although not at their worst of the year, are hardly the lush green that's being reported to my east across Metro Chicago. Vegetable yields in my garden have been fair to average but only because of supplemental irrigation by hose. If I had to make a call, I would say that 2012 will be a sub-30-inch year for precipitation at my location, and there is a chance that it could be a sub-25-inch year.

You have a good amount of lush green out to your west as well. Yards in the Dekalb area look fantastic, however we are starting to dry a bit.

Archived