• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tornado near Tokyo kills 1 and injures dozens

EF rating for this would be a challenge because from my understanding, Japanese walls aren't necessarily that strongly built, but they have these incredibly heavy tile roofs. Definitely different construction modes than the US, though.

Any video or radar loops?

EF rating for this would be a challenge because from my understanding, Japanese walls aren't necessarily that strongly built, but they have these incredibly heavy tile roofs. Definitely different construction modes than the US, though.

Any video or radar loops?

They have typhoons and frequent earthquakes... I'm sure they have a comparable building code.

Looking at Japanese news media, it looks like they're worried there could be more tornadoes in the coming days, as with unusually cold air in the upper atmosphere, strong southerly surface winds, and a higher sun in the sky, this sort of thing could happen more. They're warning people that if they start seeing dark cumulonimbus clouds, then they should seek sturdy shelter because of the threat of tornadoes. I see too that there have been tornado watches issued off and on over the past few days across the country.

There was also a story in Ibaraki Prefecture about the Oozeki family, composed of a man named Hideya, his wife Mariko, and a boy (whose name I don't remember!), that had a dog chained to a doghouse; both the dog--named Wan-Tarou*--and the doghouse were apparently sucked up by the tornado and the dog was thought to be gone; the boy was crying, worried he would never see his dog again. But on Tuesday, Mariko spotted the dog about 100 metres from the house and the dog was OK! The boy was very happy to get his dog back!

*Wan comes from the Japanese onomatopoeia for dog barking and Tarou is a standard boy's name.

Looking at media, it was a 14-year old boy who died. His name was Yoshiyuki Suzuki, lived in Tsukuba City in Ibaraki Prefecture, and was a third-grade middle school student (roughly equivalent to ninth grade here in the U.S.). He died in his own house. That is tragic.

The tornado looks like it had winds of at least 60 m/s, which would place it in the F2 class. Japan uses the Fujita Scale like we do, but not the Enhanced Fujita Scale.

They have typhoons and frequent earthquakes... I'm sure they have a comparable building code.

One of the reasons 6,000 people were killed in the Kobe earthquake were the heavy tile roofs of private residences - walls couldn't hold them up.

A standard US wooden stick-built house would have fared much better.

Looking at Japanese news media, it looks like they're worried there could be more tornadoes in the coming days, as with unusually cold air in the upper atmosphere, strong southerly surface winds, and a higher sun in the sky, this sort of thing could happen more. They're warning people that if they start seeing dark cumulonimbus clouds, then they should seek sturdy shelter because of the threat of tornadoes. I see too that there have been tornado watches issued off and on over the past few days across the country.

Do you know if the JMA issues tornado warnings, too? I remember a couple of years ago there was a 1/2-1 mile wide tornado somewhere in central Japan.

Do you know if the JMA issues tornado warnings, too? I remember a couple of years ago there was a 1/2-1 mile wide tornado somewhere in central Japan.

I saw it being issued once when I was searching for tornado videos on Nico Douga, which is a Japanese video site. It was while the person was watching TV and the warning popped up. It said 竜巻警報 tatsumaki keihou, meaning "tornado warning." I couldn't find it mentioned as an official product on the JMA site anywhere, though.

On TV Japan, I just watched a 30-minute NHK documentary on the tornado called "Today's Close Up." They showed a radar animation of the storm that produced the tornado, a classic supercell with the flying eagle and a well-defined hook. They noted how this type of storm was rare in Japan, but common in America. They showed the 14-year old victim's house, which had been turned upside down, literally. The concrete foundation had toppled over with the house and was now facing up away from the ground. The question came up about how it was that the tornado could have done this, when it wasn't much stronger than some typhoons, which would never have done that. It was explained that with a typhoon you just have the horizontal motion, which the house can withstand, but with a tornado you have not just the horizontal motion, but also a very strong vertical motion that helps the horizontal winds topple the house. Before watching this, I had not understood that about vertical motion

The man they interviewed was Fumi'aki Kobayashi, a meteorologist who specializes in the study of tornadoes, and he surveyed the damage and did a really good job of explaining how supercells form, how tornadoes form, and what goes on inside them.

How big is it? I wonder if it could be uploaded somewhere?

Well, it's in Japanese, but here's the page about that episode:

http://www.nhk.or.jp/gendai/kiroku/detail_3193.html

I can't play the streaming video right now, so I can't tell you if it would have it, but you can see a snapshot from the really close-up tornado video that I couldn't find on YouTube on that page. That was quite a video, with the tornado so close; you can hear the freight train sound very clearly!

Well, it's in Japanese, but here's the page about that episode:

http://www.nhk.or.jp...etail_3193.html

I can't play the streaming video right now, so I can't tell you if it would have it, but you can see a snapshot from the really close-up tornado video that I couldn't find on YouTube on that page. That was quite a video, with the tornado so close; you can hear the freight train sound very clearly!

The really impressive video I couldn't find on YouTube starts at about 5:45 on the streaming media, which is from a clip of that episode, available on that page.

I did not see the radar animation, however, on the streaming media.

apparently, here's a series of radar images that day

319759_3273761407777_1379684021_32141809_1401764950_n.jpg

Ja, the resolution, though, isn't as good as the one I saw on Today's Close Up. On the one I saw, you can clearly see the hook throughout the whole time and you can even see a debris ball toward the end.

I really hope to find a way to upload that.

Archived