• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
West Pacific Tropical Action 2012

A few hours? Landfall is about 24 hr away.

But, yeah, it is looking really good on recent imagery. Given how much time James has had to plan and wait for it, I'm hoping he's going to perfectly punch this one. The JTWC moves it in a straight line, toward the coast at a right angle, strengthening up to 120 kt at landfall. You don't get a cleaner, better setup than that.

oops, earlier today they were forecasting a landfall at 23/06z now it's 24/00z... :bag:

anyway, yeah James said on his tweet he's at Chenggong in Taitung County... if Tembin continues to move west, he might be very near the landfall point... :pimp:

looks like Chenggong is a fairly sized town, safe place yet right at the coast... :popcorn:

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn! Very nice recovery by Tembin, anyone chasing there will get a good typhoon. Compact size and a bit farther south than forecasted might have helped to counteract mountain interaction...could still get adversely affected, but it will be very close to landfall, and intensity wont vary much (sort of like Karl, but a little stronger). Radar

.post-29-0-19738000-1345730251_thumb.jpg

Damn! Very nice recovery by Tembin, anyone chasing there will get a good typhoon. Compact size and a bit farther south than forecasted might have helped to counteract mountain interaction...could still get adversely affected, but it will be very close to landfall, and intensity wont vary much (sort of like Karl, but a little stronger). Radar

.post-29-0-19738000-1345730251_thumb.jpg

Its a shame its about to be majorly disrupted by the Taiwan terrain. We should see the eye start to lose definition even before the center crosses the shoreline.

Have a friend who moved to Tainan last November after living in Md. all his life. This will be his first typhoon. He's counting on the mountains to wreck the storm before it reaches the western part of the island. :unsure:

Last email I had from him an hour ago says nothing has been cancelled for the morning there yet, and that decisions won't be made until 5 a.m. Apparently, there was a lot of outcry previously when schools and businesses closed and the expected storm didn't produce severe conditions.

Those radar shots are gorgeous-- wow. I wonder how it would look on our radar, though, as I noticed Soala last week also looked mega-amazing (right before it disintegrated).

The JTWC has it at 105 kt-- a Cat 3. The MW imagery from earlier today looked really solid, however, with a thick, complete, closed eyewall.

Great loop!! It does look like it's intensifying up to landfall-- wow.

Also interesting is the big S wobble as it gets near the coast-- kind of like what Saola did.

Here's a link to the closeup on the southern end of the island.

https://yvu0og.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pzi7WrALi0nJz4rQDOKmBkDpM8NIGwrpSan43kvccixjVHpoiZPVgaFh4wYSobwRpJQBW7R4m1KUqnpOjoOLI8Sj0vhMK5Ykf/Tembin%20HiRez.gif

I won't embed it so that it does not slow down the thread. Just for kicks, I'll ask for another FTP dump in the morning so anyone interested can see the full duration loop as the storm transits the island (and maybe starts the forecasted loop).

https://yvu0og.blu.l...embin HiRez.gif

I won't embed it so that it does not slow down the thread. Just for kicks, I'll ask for another FTP dump in the morning so anyone interested can see the full duration loop as the storm transits the island (and maybe starts the forecasted loop).

Nice loop! The wsw motion is pretty interesting right now... not really well forecasted by the JWTC. However, it does look like the motion was well forecasted by the GFS as the storm begins to interact with the Taiwan terrain. The eye will probably collapse in the next 3-6 hours as the energy starts to transfer to the lee cyclone.

https://yvu0og.blu.l...embin HiRez.gif

Omg-- that is just sooooo beautiful, Yummy yummy yummy.

Thank you for posting this.

Those radar shots are gorgeous-- wow. I wonder how it would look on our radar, though, as I noticed Soala last week also looked mega-amazing (right before it disintegrated).

The color scale is a bit misconceiving compared to the standard NWS dBZ color scale here. Most color scales you see around here have reds starting at 50 dbz and yellows at 35-40 dBZ, compared to the scale we're seeing in thsi thread which has 40 and 25 for red and yellow respectively.

Team Okinawa,

Take this message seriously; your life may depend on it! I can't stress enough how dangerous this typhoon may be when it hits Okinawa. This is the most powerful typhoon forecast to hit the island in 13 years; we expect damaging winds to arrive by early Sunday morning.

So be prepared! Take the time today and tomorrow to secure your outdoor items, and get the supplies you need t...

o whether this storm. Tie down your outdoor items and work with your neighbors to help them--especially those whose spouses are deployed/TDY/TAD.

During the typhoon, do not go outside. With expected sustained winds of 140 miles per hour and gusts up to 170 mph, anything not tied down, even smaller items, could become a deadly projectile.

This is not just another typhoon. If we all follow the typhoon procedures and take care of each other, we will all make it safe through this typhoon. God Bless and Stay safe!

Brig Gen Matt Molloy

18th Wing Commander

JTWC predicting a direct hit from a Cat 4.

post-138-0-04915500-1345806586_thumb.jpg

Nice loop! The wsw motion is pretty interesting right now... not really well forecasted by the JWTC. However, it does look like the motion was well forecasted by the GFS as the storm begins to interact with the Taiwan terrain. The eye will probably collapse in the next 3-6 hours as the energy starts to transfer to the lee cyclone.

The collapse is well represented in both of these loops. Those 2,000m-3,300m mountains in the northern circulation did quite a number on the core.

Island-wide radar (31mb):

https://yvu0og.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pIYluYeQGgdKQbUw79kNkMO-YvMcJR_zY3-__E1bL7TQpWSOucKlVUHlmVdmf9QL1w1LsZPwEaVgZbl_8W7PdNChJQgAlVFzI/Tembin%20Full.gif

Southern end zoomed radar (20mb):

https://yvu0og.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pMTHjltTcolDGWSsjY_1LUbQRft-EngO6Eg4IJq5kXinj5M4uZhICnL7GZWTNsnqnUd5wsh1kGy6deKqi0pPbJUgojrThAuHX/Tembin%20HiRez%20Full.gif

Wow those are some really nice loops!! With the core disrupted, do you think this will still be able to intensify back to typhoon??

Archived