• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
West Pacific Tropical Action 2012

Wow those are some really nice loops!! With the core disrupted, do you think this will still be able to intensify back to typhoon??

Probably, yes although the current weakening exceeded the forecast weakening by a bit. The storm will be in a favorable environment for the next 48 hours or so with good SST's and excellent outflow to the south. It's forecast to do a counterclockwise loop which will bring it into an increasingly hostile environment due to interaction with very strong TY Bolaven.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably, yes although the current weakening exceeded the forecast weakening by a bit. The storm will be in a favorable environment for the next 48 hours or so with good SST's and excellent outflow to the south. It's forecast to do a counterclockwise loop which will bring it into an increasingly hostile environment due to interaction with very strong TY Bolaven.

Nice loops... Since the system tracked WSW up to landfall, the land interaction was more of a glancing blow rather than full on knockout of the central core, but there is an interesting bend back to the WNW after it emerged on the other side of Taiwan. I'm almost positive its terrain related although it moved in an unpredictable fashion unlike what previous research has shown for TC's over Taiwan.

I think it's relatively rare to see the potential for a cat 1 direct hit in North Korea...I can't remember it happening *that* often...

I know they get a lot of remnant/dying out stuff (or storms that hit South Korea that they're in the northern side of) that can flood them but to get a path where something hits head on is relatively (I would think) rare.

Microwave data indicates Bolaven has about three or four open concentric eyewalls, not surprising given the warmer cloud tops today, possible dry air entrainment, and large size of the storm. Given the internal structure, Bolaven is probably a strong Cat 2 in reality right now.

lolz, looks like a cinnamon roll.

Microwave data indicates Bolaven has about three or four open concentric eyewalls, not surprising given the warmer cloud tops today, possible dry air entrainment, and large size of the storm. Given the internal structure, Bolaven is probably a strong Cat 2 in reality right now.

Latest updates have the pressure at 920 mb and still 125 kt sustained winds.

It looks very, very cool, but I wonder what that structure means in terms of the wind radii. Like, are there three distinct maxima, and do the outer two sap energy from the inner one, or...?

Yup.

"The axisymmetric equivalent potential temperature budget analysis reveals that the demise of the inner eyewall is primarily due to the interception of the boundary layer inflow supply of entropy by the outer convective ring..."

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2011JAS3575.1

i'm kinda starting to doubt the intensity of this system.. sure the pressure reports are impressive (nearly 3hpa per hour drop) but none of the stations on JMA are reporting typhoon-force sustained... :unsure:

Not yet, anyway, and pressure has started to rise.

RODN 261325Z AUTO 27037G49KT 1 1/4SM R05/1600V3500FT -RA BR OVC005 27/27 A2817 RMK AO2 PK WND 28049/1314 PRESRR SLP538

post-138-0-37751700-1345989450_thumb.png

Yup.

"The axisymmetric equivalent potential temperature budget analysis reveals that the demise of the inner eyewall is primarily due to the interception of the boundary layer inflow supply of entropy by the outer convective ring..."

http://journals.amet...5/2011JAS3575.1

Thanks! I wonder if that's the explanation for the rather tepid surface obs.

Bolaven is a very large strom with a spread out windfield but a very small core of strongest winds which were probably located north of the eye. Backside could be heftier though. We saw this with Irma where the storm was large but on the leading side the strong winds were confined to the eyewall while the backside raged for hours.

Steve

Bolaven is a very large strom with a spread out windfield but a very small core of strongest winds which were probably located north of the eye. Backside could be heftier though. We saw this with Irma where the storm was large but on the leading side the strong winds were confined to the eyewall while the backside raged for hours.

Steve

Strongest winds so far with the center well past and pressure up 26 mb from thr minimum

RODN 262007Z AUTO 22045G59KT 2SM R05/3000V3500FT +RA BR OVC012 26/26 A2887 RMK AO2 PK WND 22059/1959 PRESRR SLP775

Kadena is probably around 20 miles or so to the south of the eye... Nago (where the eye moved through) reported a minimum pressure of 934hPa which is still very impressive despite the lack of typhoon winds; i think this is the lowest pressure ever recorded in Okinawa (gotta check this)... an airport just north of Okinawa reported sustained 60kt winds.. highest gust i could ever find was around 85kt... an islet east of Okinawa stopped reporting roughly 6 hours before landfall yesterday but i don't it recorded higher winds...

James Reynolds was in Higashi which is where the eye moved across... he reported calm conditions at one point so could've been right in the way...

Archived