12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
West Pacific Tropical Action 2012

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TCFA now up... :popcorn:

what do you think for this year am19psu?? we've been kinda below normal for the past 2 years now...

Most stuff I am seeing is keeping the below normal trend. I don't have any skill in seasonal forecasting, but I would always forecast below normal preseason given the current PDO regime.

TY Pakhar is forecast to reach 80kt in 24 hours (JTWC) and then landfall in southern Vietnam with 65 kt winds NE of Ho Chi Minh City in 48 hours. March storms usually do not fare well in the SCS due to shear from the NE Monsoon but this one is pretty far south and so far has avoided that threat. The original disturbance tracked south of Zamboanga in Mindanao and across Borneo to get to where it's at now.

Steve

Not looking so good this AM

Yep. That little break in the shear yesterday as it switched from southerly to northeasterly was all it needed to blow up, but now that shear has increased again, it's getting eaten alive. If you believe the Euro, overnight tonight (EDT), there will be another break in shear, so it'll be interesting to see if it picks back up.

so sad only me and am19 get to read this thread i think... we have a typhoon people!! :popcorn:

1zdyre1.jpg

Call me a homer, but to get me to do more than browse WestPac TC threads, I need either a SS Cat 4 or 5, or a storm that threatens places I have been. Like Muifa. I'll upload juicy Cat 4 or Cat 5 typhoon images for posterity.

I shall try again-hit the wrong button and lost my reply. March storms in the SCS usually don't fare well because the shear and dry stable air from the NE monsoon is still present there. Pakhar was far enough south to escape this for a while but as it approached Vietnam a dry slot worked into the core and disrupted it plus after relaxing, the shear kicked back in. Though some rebuilding of the core has occurred, with landfall less than 24 hours out reintensification is going to be difficult. BTW, a clue-when off season storms in the SCS begin to move SW it's a sign that the NE monsoon is taking control of the situation. JTWC is conducting a contingency exercise so FNMOC is issuing the advisories. Position and track maps are available on the NRL site.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Archived