• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 31st - Potential Wintry Precip (formerly the March Torch Thread)

tornadojay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope the rubber band does not snap as we go into april and may....my fear is this happens...

Just that we go into april or may and have a cooler/rainy pattern....im sure we get a week or two stretch with crappy weather like every spring....but my fear is longer then that.....2010 we torch and never stop.....very early leaf out and green up.....so it does not mean my fear will happen

1956-57 was a torch weak nina winter in the East, reversed to neutral by spring 1957 and weak nino by summer 1957.

34gq0c5.png

Problem is it turned quite cold for the South in March 1957, so it loses credibility as an analog. Also the Nino coming on was much stronger than what we're likely to see this spring/summer. Very difficult to find analogs for the past 5 month period.

30w2zrd.png

LMAO, this zone forecast for DC is beyond lol-worthy:

Monday partlysunny.gif Partly sunny in the morning...then becoming mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Monday Night nt_chancerain.gif Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers. Lows in the mid 50s.

Tuesday cloudy.gif Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70s.

Tuesday Night nt_sunny.gif Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 50s.

Wednesday sunny.gif Sunny. Highs in the mid 70s.

Wednesday Night nt_sunny.gif Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 50s.

Thursday partlycloudy.gif Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s.

Thursday Night nt_chancerain.gif Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers. Lows in the mid 50s.

Friday chancerain.gif Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 70s.

What month is it again?

Incredible.

Probably won't be a good analog for this year though - warmth will be much more expansive in the CONUS compared to 98.

289d4xz.png

March so far:

65seis.png

It will probably be the warmest March that we have seen since 1945 if the models are correct.

NYC needs a +8.7 for the new March record.

Next week's warmth looks to be surpassed by the warmth the following week. 12z GEFS has 582dm heat ridge over Lower Mid-Atlantic and Southeast by 240hr. 850mb temps 10C or higher into Southern New England:

There could still be some relatively colder (yet still warmer than average) temperatures left over the region, especially if there is rain over the region as at least currently modeled and/or another back door cold front, so I'd think that the highest temperature departures focus over the Great Lakes region and near the central US with warmth in NYC but not a complete torch, although with such a large ridge over the East Coast, it would not surprise me if at the very least 1-3 days, if not more, could end up above the mid 70s for highs after next weekend.

There could still be some relatively colder (yet still warmer than average) temperatures left over the region, especially if there is rain over the region as at least currently modeled and/or another back door cold front, so I'd think that the highest temperature departures focus over the Great Lakes region and near the central US with warmth in NYC but not a complete torch, although with such a large ridge over the East Coast, it would not surprise me if at the very least 1-3 days, if not more, could end up above the mid 70s for highs after next weekend.

Mark these words down right now, so that we can bump when it happens. EWR will get to 85 or higher for at least one day in the Mar 18-22 time frame.

Mark these words down right now, so that we can bump when it happens. EWR will get to 85 or higher for at least one day in the Mar 18-22 time frame.

I've got the link to this post saved should it happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens as well; with these conditions probably lasting through next week as well I find it hard to believe that it won't be very warm at least for a day or two.

The 18z DGEX finally backed away from the Friday cold front and is a complete torch going into the weekend. It already was too warm for this week as it didn't handle the cutoff low correctly, although hopefully it's actually onto something this time:

post-1753-0-18733400-1331417452.gif

Archived