• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Potential March 2nd/3rd: OV, TN Valley, Mid-South, Deep South, Mid-Atlantic, Carolinas

Posted in the OV winter thread, might as well post here too. Also likely why many of the SREF members are all amped up too. Worth watching to see if the globals take more of a rapid intensification approach as it will have a significant influence on the warm sector development/low level flow response.

Usually there are strong reasons to be suspect of anything the NAM does, especially when it tends to be a big outlier on the synoptic handling of a system, but the NAM here does (considering it is initializing correctly...always a big "if" these days it seems) have some utility here as this system will be deepening strongly off relatively extreme low level frontogenetic/upper jet scale properties. The cyclone itself is pretty small, and it will also have a strong warm sector moisture feed, so this will also have a tendency to force rapid pressure falls if this comes together correctly. Moist frontogenesis has been known to be drivers for storm intensification...rather rapidly sometimes. The meso models will have a slight "edge" w.r.t. this. 0Z RGEM is not too far off the NAM either.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted in the OV winter thread, might as well post here too. Also likely why many of the SREF members are all amped up too. Worth watching to see if the globals take more of a rapid intensification approach as it will have a significant influence on the warm sector development/low level flow response.

Usually there are strong reasons to be suspect of anything the NAM does, especially when it tends to be a big outlier on the synoptic handling of a system, but the NAM here does (considering it is initializing correctly...always a big "if" these days it seems) have some utility here as this system will be deepening strongly off relatively extreme low level frontogenetic/upper jet scale properties. The cyclone itself is pretty small, and it will also have a strong warm sector moisture feed, so this will also have a tendency to force rapid pressure falls if this comes together correctly. Moist frontogenesis has been known to be drivers for storm intensification...rather rapidly sometimes. The meso models will have a slight "edge" w.r.t. this. 0Z RGEM is not too far off the NAM either.

I copied this into the GLOV thread also, very very good points here. GFS stepping in the direction of a stronger solution with the 00z also..

I too am wary of the secondary low development in the South, which has been hinted at by the various models over at least the past few runs. Even if it were to pan out as currently progged, the local backing of the surface winds and the enhanced LLJ would increase helicities and could result in an elevated evening/overnight tornado threat over portions of northern AL/GA and into SC by dawn, despite the possibly quasi-linear convective mode. As noted by others, the next couple model runs are really important as the main vorticity max comes onshore.

As it stands now, I don't see a high risk type of event out of this, but some subtle changes in the trough evolution could change that.

Some of the guidance, namely the stronger bombed solutions like NAM/RGEM, completely wipe out the cap across a broad region of the low level WAA zone feeding into the rapidly bombing cyclone across KY and initiate clusters of discrete supercells. That would pose big problems. It seems SPC is definitely siding with the stronger regional/mesoscale guidance.

Mods, just a suggestion, since this threat is spread out over 3 different subforums, with separate threads in each, is there any way we could possibly do 1 obs thread for the now casting part of the event at least, in this forum? This way everyone isn't spread out.

Mods, just a suggestion, since this threat is spread out over 3 different subforums, with separate threads in each, is there any way we could possibly do 1 obs thread for the now casting part of the event at least, in this forum? This way everyone isn't spread out.

Discussing this. Trying to see if we can find a better way to have all disco in one thread for the bigger outbreaks spanning multiple subforums. Doesn't really make sense to have multiple threads discussing the same event, at least IMO.

Discussing this. Trying to see if we can find a better way to have all disco in one thread for the bigger outbreaks spanning multiple subforums. Doesn't really make sense to have multiple threads discussing the same event, at least IMO.

Exactly, thanks man. I just worry a lot of good knowledge is getting missed by the different forums.

Amazing soundings and hodos in the OH valley. biggest question is why QPF output is so low in these locales. seems convection may pop by reaching convective temp... nam says that is 74 for sdf at 21z. seems attainable. For the record ECMWF does blow up warm sector QPF more so. thoughts?

Amazing soundings and hodos in the OH valley. biggest question is why QPF output is so low in these locales. seems convection may pop by reaching convective temp... nam says that is 74 for sdf at 21z. seems attainable. For the record ECMWF does blow up warm sector QPF more so. thoughts?

Just said it prior...it's because there is subsidence being forecasted at 850/700/500 mb levels due to mid/upper level forcing synoptically/dynamically.

Just said it prior...it's because there is subsidence being forecasted at 850/700/500 mb levels due to mid/upper level forcing synoptically/dynamically.

Really not worried about this- I would be shocked to see little precip like the NAM has. This may actually help keep cells more discrete. There will be strong tornadoes tomorrow if the NAM is close to correct.

If one was to go with the GFS central MS and surrounding region at 18z is about the only place I would bet money on producing tornadoes for this whole event. Decent soundings over that area. Every place else seems borderline wrt to tornado genesis. Svr storms w/ strong wind likely in the other areas as already discussed by the SPC. NAM solution nothing really jumps out at me. It pretty much keeps the best lift to the west of the best thermodynamics and shear every where the entire time period of 18z-0z

If one was to go with the GFS central MS and surrounding region at 18z is about the only place I would bet money on producing tornadoes for this whole event. Decent soundings over that area. Every place else seems borderline wrt to tornado genesis. Svr storms w/ strong wind likely in the other areas as already discussed by the SPC. NAM solution nothing really jumps out at me. It pretty much keeps the best lift to the west of the best thermodynamics and shear every where the entire time period of 18z-0z

If you have too much lift, too much convection will go up and you'll get a linear mess.

Really not worried about this- I would be shocked to see little precip like the NAM has. This may actually help keep cells more discrete. There will be strong tornadoes tomorrow if the NAM is close to correct.

Yeah was discussing this with someone else. Zero QPF means nothing really...has to do more with the 12 km grid and subgrid scale params. Have to be careful with using model QPF as an "initiation confirmation".

Not surprising the 4 KM NAM initiates quite a bit of warm sector discrete action across the uncapped region. Shows the difference in how numerical model schemes handle various aspects of the atmosphere. But this is a different discussion.

post-999-0-14932800-1330594964.gif

Hope you're right ;) for radar viewing pleasure. Too many times I've fallen victim when I was younger to this thinking that all the CAPE in the world would over come progged subsidence and generate monsters. 9/10 doesn't happen...especially east of the Mississippi. Discrete cells will probably develop, go severe with mainly wind...switch over to QLCS with strong winds/bow echos and wawa...no tornadoes. Looking at the 3z, still strong subsidence, I would say there could be 1 or 2 tornadoes. Definitely don't see an outbreak like I would expect if we replaced the subsidence with some lift. But again this is all semantics since it's still 40+ hours away. Things will change between now and then

Hope you're right ;) for radar viewing pleasure. Too many times I've fallen victim when I was younger to this thinking that all the CAPE in the world would over come progged subsidence and generate monsters. 9/10 doesn't happen...especially east of the Mississippi. Discrete cells will probably develop, go severe with mainly wind...switch over to QLCS with strong winds/bow echos and wawa...no tornadoes. Looking at the 3z, still strong subsidence, I would say there could be 1 or 2 tornadoes. Definitely don't see an outbreak like I would expect if we replaced the subsidence with some lift. But again this is all semantics since it's still 40+ hours away. Things will change between now and then

I'm by no means sold on a major tornado outbreak either, but with the parameters shown, you'd think that even if convective mode is primarily linear, there'd be several spinups along the line.

I'm by no means sold on a major tornado outbreak either, but with the parameters shown, you'd think that even if convective mode is primarily linear, there'd be several spinups along the line.

yeah I agree however most model do show cellular convection except the gfs where the grid scale is too large to pick it up. In a situation like this especially considering how different the solution is wrt to the other models I would almost toss the gfs out right. As noted by others the gfs hass a tendancy to struggle with setups like these to begin with

http://www.eas.slu.e...&HH=-99&map=SVR

Total SPC storm reports based off top 15 CIPS Analogs for this set-up are pretty ominous, including several long-tracked tornadoes.

Yeah the difference between the GFS/NAM is pretty much only location of the significant part of the outbreak. GFS would argue South mostly, NAM says North then possibly in the South too.

Where are you seeing any widespread subsidence over Ohio? Sure the strongest ascent is still west, but that's still ascent. Or was that just in earlier runs?

post-378-0-31321800-1330617857.png

Archived