I'm Surprised By The Start Of This Winter

Coach McGuirk

we need snow soon or we might have to wait till march

That was basically what I was thinking :D

Official Call for DCA:

5-8" snowstorm by the end of December.

Two 1-2" snowfalls in Jan-Feb

Possible event of 2-4" in March.

Total snowfall: 9-16" (or 7-12" if the March storm doesn't pan out)

FWIW... My March forecast is cold.

we need snow soon or we might have to wait till march

Chill we will get 2 inches Thursday and 8 inches from the weekend storm. I have no knowledge nor meteorological basis for that but i have a feeling in my bones. Hey it probably has a better chance of being right than all of Dave's theories :popcorn: .

We had the hottest summer ever on the east coast.  October and November had their days of record heat too.  Now that December is here, winter really started to flex some muscles.

Im shocked to hell its been snowing all night here.

Mother Nature >>> Mets who think they can predict the weather (no offense to anyone here lol)

wow nice,you nailed it :thumbsup:

Still have half the month left :P though I don't think it will change too much.

My November was pretty bad because I didn't get the timing of the pattern change right... brought the cold east/warm southwest pattern in too early.

maybe not

looks like the Euro wants to hold the block over Canada for a while

http://www.accuweath...nto-january.asp

Euro monthlies from last month were showing warm anomalies throughout the CONUS, with a netural/negative Pac NW for both Jan and Feb. The new monthlies come out tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Jan: Torch.

Here's my maps from early Oct:

winterforecast_jan2011.png

Nice call so far. Was your Dec anamoly call based on Nina climatology or blocking? (or both). So, what are your thoughts about the big Jan torch represented on your maps if the blocking persists thru the 10th or 12th like progged?

Nice call so far. Was your Dec anamoly call based on Nina climatology or blocking? (or both). So, what are your thoughts about the big Jan torch represented on your maps if the blocking persists thru the 10th or 12th like progged?

More details (though there aren't really many) can be found here: http://madusweather.com/?p=250

The tl;dr version of my forecast is it's a combo. of Nina climo. and forecasted NAO values. A more persistent blocking pattern would certainly cause problems in the eastern half of the U.S., but my forecast only calls for a neutral NAO in Jan anyway, so I'm not that concerned as of yet if we can ease the intensity of the block.

My biggest concern is the amount of heat I have over the Northwest and Northern Plains... I have cooled it down a good amount (though still above normal) in updates I've made since that forecast, but it's still the area that can bust the biggest IMO.

The subtropical ridge is certainly TRYING to push further east... hopefully the pattern shift will take place early enough to give me the big +anoms that I need.

---

The ECMWF weeklies from last week are trending towards a neutral to slightly below normal area of temp. anomalies in the eastern U.S. during the first week of January, but it doesn't look nearly as persistent as the cold pool over western Canada fills in with aboves and the GOA low weakens.

Archived