• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Severe threat Feb 28-Mar 1

Cheeznado

OK, here is the seprate thread. First wave which give the Midwest/Plains its snow will gring up GOM moisture with severe possible in TX/AR/LA Tuesday, maybe GA/Carolinas Wednesday. Then since this front only makes it to the northern GOM the pump should be primed for the next Pacific wave- which varies in intensity in the models but most suggest that this one could realy mean business- the Op Euro is pretty scary but an outlier for now in the extreme depth and negative tilt. In any event those of us who are severe hounds will be watching things unfold closerly.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, here is the seprate thread. First wave which give the Midwest/Plains its snow will gring up GOM moisture with severe possible in TX/AR/LA Tuesday, maybe GA/Carolinas Wednesday. Then since this front only makes it to the northern GOM the pump should be primed for the next Pacific wave- which varies in intensity in the models but most suggest that this one could realy mean business- the Op Euro is pretty scary but an outlier for now in the extreme depth and negative tilt. In any event those of us who are severe hounds will be watching things unfold closerly.

Who would the second Pacific wave affect? The Arklatex region or all of us?

12z Euro really loses all traces of a threat for next Friday...although Saturday in the Carolinas looks interesting on it.

If you read between the lines on the 12Z Euro, it is still in the process of coming to the same conclusion with the trough as it did on last night's run.... but for whatever reason... it is substantially slower in doing so. It's a phasing issue. The fact that it STILL pieces together that large trough, with a rapidly deepening surface low, when all the other models are trending stronger with the trough for the Thursday-Friday timeframe... still concerns me significantly.

If you read between the lines on the 12Z Euro, it is still in the process of coming to the same conclusion with the trough as it did on last night's run.... but for whatever reason... it is substantially slower in doing so. It's a phasing issue. The fact that it STILL pieces together that large trough, with a rapidly deepening surface low, when all the other models are trending stronger with the trough for the Thursday-Friday timeframe... still concerns me significantly.

Yeah, that's what I kinda thought as well, it is close to dropping the big trough, but it just happens for the Carolinas.

CMC's verbatim would probably be something significant across the Mid South and Lower OH Valley.

I have greater concerns with the 2nd system late next week. With a potent low-amplitude trough dropping into the Deep South crashing into a warm unstable air-mass across the Mid-South/Dixie Alley tends to lead to trouble across the region.

Even so there is increasing concerns with this topic's system, 12Z Euro like Andyhb mentioned has a large warm sector 60 Tds nosing into the Ohio Valley...Soundings show long clockwise curved hodo signatures with SReH ranging from 400-600 M^2/S^2 out ahead of main convective line, which supports discrete activity.

Quick look at 18Z GFS sounding for KFFC (only one I have atm). I'm seeing a better hydrolapse, rapid change of moisture with height, than with previous runs which has contributed to better instability shown with SBCAPE approaching 1000 J/KG and LI falling to -4. Wind profiles unidirectional in nature when instability is maximized. With 6KM bulk shear 50-65KTs, and 0-6KM helicity 35-40 M/S or 250-350 M2/S2 which should support severe storms with damaging winds main threat...This will of course change with still 4-5 days out.

capturebuycj.jpg

DAY 3 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0230 AM CST SUN FEB 26 2012

VALID 281200Z - 291200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS PORTIONS ARKLATEX...ERN OK AND

SERN KS TO WRN MID-SOUTH REGION...

...SYNOPSIS...

STG SHORTWAVE TROUGH...MENTIONED IN DAY-2 OUTLOOK OVER WRN

CONUS...IS FCST TO CONSOLIDATE INTO COMPACT MID-UPPER CYCLONE DURING

FIRST HALF OF DAY-3 PERIOD...WHILE MOVING ENEWD FROM CENTRAL ROCKIES

ACROSS ADJACENT HIGH PLAINS. BY 29/00Z...500-MB CYCLONE SHOULD BE

LOCATED OVER NEB/SD...REACHING IA/MN BORDER REGION BY END OF PERIOD.

TRAILING SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO EXTEND SSW OF MID-UPPER

CYCLONE CENTER...AT SOMEWHAT LOWER AMPLITUDE THAN PROGGED BY

PREVIOUS MODEL CYCLES.

AT SFC...DEEPENING CYCLONE WILL EJECT NEWD FROM CENTRAL HIGH PLAINS

TO SRN MN...BECOMING NEARLY STACKED WITH RESPECT TO MID-UPPER LOW BY

END OF PERIOD. ATTACHED COLD FRONT SHOULD MOVE EWD OUT OF

CENTRAL/SRN ROCKIES EARLY IN PERIOD...REACHING ERN KS...CENTRAL OK

AND PERMIAN BASIN REGION OF W TX BY 29/00Z. COLD FRONT SHOULD REACH

CENTRAL/SRN IL...S-CENTRAL AR AND S-CENTRAL TX BY 29/12Z.

SUFFICIENT MOISTURE SHOULD INFUSE WARM SECTOR TO YIELD DRYLINE BY

EARLY AFTERNOON FROM NRN COAHUILA NNEWD TO SWRN OK. THIS BOUNDARY

THEN WILL BE OVERTAKEN BY COLD FRONT FROM N-S THROUGH REMAINDER

PERIOD.

...PORTIONS ARKLATEX...ERN OK AND SERN KS TO WRN MID-SOUTH REGION...

SCATTERED TSTMS SHOULD FORM DURING AFTERNOON/EVENING ALONG/AHEAD OF

SFC COLD FRONT AND NE OF DRYLINE...AS SRN FRINGES OF MOST VIGOROUS

LARGE-SCALE ASCENT OVERLAP INCREASING LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE...WITH SFC

DEW POINTS REACHING 60S F. ACTIVITY MAY GROW UPSCALE WITH

INCREASING COVERAGE IN 29/00Z-29/06Z TIME FRAME. ALTHOUGH SFC FLOW

IS FCST TO VEER WITH TIME AHEAD OF COLD FROPA...SPEED SHEAR SHOULD

BE SUFFICIENT TO SUPPORT ENLARGED LOW-LEVEL HODOGRAPHS. LINEAR AND

SUPERCELLULAR MODES ARE POSSIBLE...WITH FULL SPECTRUM OF SVR

THREATS...MAINLY IN FORM OF WIND AND TORNADO RISK. SVR POTENTIAL

SHOULD DIMINISH GRADUALLY WITH TIME AND WITH NEWD EXTENT AS

CONVECTIVE REGIME MOVES INTO PROGRESSIVELY WEAKER BUOYANCY.

FARTHER NE...TSTMS ARE EXPECTED TO OCCUR IN ZONE OF ELEVATED

LOW-LEVEL WAA OVERNIGHT...MOVING NEWD OVER OH VALLEY REGION. FCST

SOUNDINGS SUGGEST WEAK LAPSE RATES ALOFT WITH ELEVATED MUCAPE AOB

500 J/KG AND EFFECTIVE SHEAR MAGNITUDES IN 30-35 KT

RANGE...PRECLUDING ORGANIZED HAIL THREAT.

...CENTRAL PLAINS...

WIDELY SCATTERED TO SCATTERED AND LOW-TOPPED TSTMS...PERHAPS WITH

SUPERCELL STRUCTURES...ARE POSSIBLE MIDDAY INTO LATE AFTERNOON INVOF

KS/NEB BORDER...IN ZONE OF STG DEEP-LAYER ASCENT. STG COOLING

ALOFT...AND NARROW CORRIDOR OF FAVORABLE SFC THETAE AIDED BY

DIABATIC HEATING...SHOULD WEAKEN CINH AND SUPPORT CONVECTIVE

DEVELOPMENT NEAR FRONTAL ZONE. MLCAPE NEAR 500 J/KG IS

POSSIBLE...WITH ENHANCED LOW-LEVEL SHEAR NEAR BOUNDARY. THREAT

APPEARS TOO CONDITIONAL AND MESOSCALE IN NATURE FOR CATEGORICAL

OUTLOOK ATTM.

..EDWARDS.. 02/26/2012

TWC (I know, I know) is actually advertising a severe wx outbreak for my area next saturday in the extended local on the 8's Saturday is actually highlighted in RED with a description at the bottom below the forecast. Ive never seen that on there, especially 6 days out.

I noticed that also. They have a LOT of areas shaded in red.

I noticed that also. They have a LOT of areas shaded in red.

One thing that will be interesting this spring is to see if the awareness is going to be higher than usual. It does seem that last year's horrendous season has pumped up the urgency with some of the media outlets, so we'll see if that translates to the general public paying more attention. It still boggles my mind that during an April 2011-like event, there are still people that are completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

One thing that will be interesting this spring is to see if the awareness is going to be higher than usual. It does seem that last year's horrendous season has pumped up the urgency with some of the media outlets, so we'll see if that translates to the general public paying more attention. It still boggles my mind that during an April 2011-like event, there are still people that are completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

Well I just looked again and we are no longer in the red shaded area. I'm anxious to see what this spring and summer brings. I know I shouldn't say that I'm sick of the rain, but I would love it if we would have just one DRY week. My yard is a soppy mess. Remind me of this when I'm begging for rain this summer for my gardens.

18z GFS has trended upward with the second system and the GFS ensembles/Euro continue to go knucklebusters with it. CMC has more pronounced shortwave diving out of the broader long wave trough and also looks significant, especially with the sfc cyclogenesis.

Definitely a growing concern with late next week's potential system. LLJs at 850-925MB are screaming, with hodographs just plain crazy even into the overnight hours...If 0Z models can hold serve to 18Z GFS/GFS ensembles I wouldn't doubt SPC outline a risk in their Day 4-8 outlooks.

0Z GFS continues to show quite an ominous system later this week. Rapidly deepening SLP tracking at 998MB over Kansas to 980MB over Michigan in a 12 hour time span! Instability isn't going to be problem with 60 Tds nosing into S IL and 65+ Tds moving into E AR/ N MS/ and W AL....CAPE shown as 1000+ J/KG with LI's in the -4 to -8 range, keep in mind still 5 days out...

No wedge on the euro either. Lots of times we have a great setup but it gets ruined by NE winds/cad. Temps around 70 the day before and maybe over east ga the day of, but unfortunately the 0z run has it coming in during the morning. Hopefully it speeds up a bit to bring it in during the afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing storms, although nothing impressive, when there was some lightning and thunder the other day..I got excited.

Archived