• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    vokive3692
    Newest Member
    vokive3692
February 20-21 Potential Storm

wisconsinwx

8th floor of Beaumont Hospital really gives a nice birds eye view of this plastering. Woodward Ave is completely covered and the last leg of rush hour has been delayed.

You would think there would at least be a special weather statement for that snow you guys are getting. I've seen SWS issued for a line of showers before, so heavy snow should qualify as SWS material.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had 0.6" of slushy snow this morning, approximate 5-1 ratio, and then a few light rain showers later, total precip 0.14". Our season total slowly keeps climbing, now at 23". Naturally the snow is completely melted now. Detroits northern burbs had 1-1.5", yet another small snowfall that overperformed this winter. I also want to note..temp was 36 at onset of snow, dropping to 33 in heaviest snow but never freezing, and snow stuck to the roads just fine, albeit a slushy snow. I hope this is a reminder than the increasing sun angle that we hear so much about this time of year becomes a moot point for accumulating snow as long as its not too light in intensity.

Visib was nowhere near the whiteout of 0-0.1mi visib we saw on Jan 29 or Feb 10, but it was probably the 3rd heaviest snowfall Ive seen this winter

3089-800.jpg

Lol. I don't know how to report a visibility below a 1/4 mile. Maybe an 1/8? Ripping cats and dogs. Cement style snow. Plastering everything it touches.

I have seen 0.0mi visib reported in snow before, but more common is 0.1 mi.

DTW briefly saw 0.1 mi on Jan 29th as well as Feb 10th this winter....(they bottomed out at 0.5 mi today). They saw 0.1 mi visib for like 3 hours straight with the Feb 20, 2011 snowstorm...and both Jan 22, 2005 and Jan 2, 1999 saw several hours of 0.0 mi visib reported.

lol congrats SEMI again

1.2" , snow look to be done here

Its comical how almost every little snow event has overperformed. Id say if you look at every measurable snow this winter (today was the 21st day with measurable snowfall, though obviously some of those days the same snowfall took place over two days)...Id bet 70% of them overperformed, 20% met expectations, and 10% underperformed. Of course there are two ways to look at this...that we have certainly made the most out of what chances weve had...OR...that its a lot of "stat-padding" that is making the winter seem better than it has been.

Had 0.6" of slushy snow this morning, approximate 5-1 ratio, and then a few light rain showers later, total precip 0.14". Our season total slowly keeps climbing, now at 23". Naturally the snow is completely melted now. Detroits northern burbs had 1-1.5", yet another small snowfall that overperformed this winter. I also want to note..temp was 36 at onset of snow, dropping to 33 in heaviest snow but never freezing, and snow stuck to the roads just fine, albeit a slushy snow. I hope this is a reminder than the increasing sun angle that we hear so much about this time of year becomes a moot point for accumulating snow as long as its not too light in intensity.

Visib was nowhere near the whiteout of 0-0.1mi visib we saw on Jan 29 or Feb 10, but it was probably the 3rd heaviest snowfall Ive seen this winter

3089-800.jpg

Nice pic, good sized snowflakes!

I have seen 0.0mi visib reported in snow before, but more common is 0.1 mi.

DTW briefly saw 0.1 mi on Jan 29th as well as Feb 10th this winter....(they bottomed out at 0.5 mi today). They saw 0.1 mi visib for like 3 hours straight with the Feb 20, 2011 snowstorm...and both Jan 22, 2005 and Jan 2, 1999 saw several hours of 0.0 mi visib reported.

After 1/4SM it goes to 1/8SM then 1/16SM then 0SM. Lowest I have been here at DTW was 1/16SM with very very dense fog.

Its comical how almost every little snow event has overperformed. Id say if you look at every measurable snow this winter (today was the 21st day with measurable snowfall, though obviously some of those days the same snowfall took place over two days)...Id bet 70% of them overperformed, 20% met expectations, and 10% underperformed. Of course there are two ways to look at this...that we have certainly made the most out of what chances weve had...OR...that its a lot of "stat-padding" that is making the winter seem better than it has been.

Gonna be really weird when were complaining about how bad the winter was in a couple months and we're only like 10" below normal >_>

I hope this is a reminder than the increasing sun angle that we hear so much about this time of year becomes a moot point for accumulating snow as long as its not too light in intensity.

The bolded is why that point isn't hardly moot.

Most events have light/moderate intensity snow (or snow that starts and stops) than than type of snow we saw this morning.

Yes but once the snow has started sticking its not much of an issue. Ive seen enough March snow events to know better.

So have I and truthfully most of them suck. Only positive asspect of March snows is that its photo friendly. Its usally a plaster or cement and sticks to everything. Problem is the lack of time before that sun burns it away or chips away at it. Today wasnt so much sun as it was temps. We wont have sun angle issues really effect things for a least a couple more weeks. But you can start to feel the suns power when its out.

+So have I and truthfully most of them suck. Only positive asspect of March snows is that its photo friendly. Its usally a plaster or cement and sticks to everything. Problem is the lack of time before that sun burns it away or chips away at it. Today wasnt so much sun as it was temps. We wont have sun angle issues really effect things for a least a couple more weeks. But you can start to feel the suns power when its out.

Oh I fully agree that March snows do not have the lasting power of DJF and that is sun angle right there. But every year this time we start hearing of sun angle as a hinderance for snowfall accumulations when thats not the case....a snowstorm in March can often have the same immediate affect as if it had hit in January...the difference is say you get a 6" snowstorm with temps in the upper 20s followed by two days of sun and low 30s. Whether the storm hits in Jan or Mar, the storm post-mortum is snow-choked roads, travel nightmares, and snowbanks. The difference is after two days of sun in Jan, the snowpack looks nearly identical, maybe having settled to 5" if that, while in March two days later you see about 5" in the shade with a few inches and grass patches in the sun.

Oh I fully agree that March snows do not have the lasting power of DJF and that is sun angle right there. But every year this time we start hearing of sun angle as a hinderance for snowfall accumulations when thats not the case....a snowstorm in March can often have the same immediate affect as if it had hit in January...the difference is say you get a 6" snowstorm with temps in the upper 20s followed by two days of sun and low 30s. Whether the storm hits in Jan or Mar, the storm post-mortum is snow-choked roads, travel nightmares, and snowbanks. The difference is after two days of sun in Jan, the snowpack looks nearly identical, maybe having settled to 5" if that, while in March two days later you see about 5" in the shade with a few inches and grass patches in the sun.

This!

Archived