Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential snow event on the 9th?

Snow_Miser

Upton

Models have trended northward with precipitation shield with this

system...so have increased probability of precipitation to chance Wednesday night. With

limited moisture to work with...liquid equivalent amounts will be

light. With precipitation falling at night...and low level thermal profiles

in all models supporting all snow...went with chance of light snow

throughout the area. For lows blended fairly similar mav/met

guidance.

http://www.wunderground.com/DisplayDisc.asp?DiscussionCode=OKX&StateCode=NY&SafeCityName=Brooklyn

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z nam shifted the shield south by a good bit. Northern fringe was in N. Mass at 12Z, LI sound at 18Z. Looks more like the 12Z Euro. But it is all splitting hairs anyway. LGA went from .06 to .02. White Plains from .06 to .01. Literally looking at differences of hundreths on the models at this point.

18z nam shifted the shield south by a good bit. Northern fringe was in N. Mass at 12Z, LI sound at 18Z. Looks more like the 12Z Euro. But it is all splitting hairs anyway. LGA went from .06 to .02. White Plains from .06 to .01. Literally looking at differences of hundreths on the models at this point.

GFS is north while the Nam is south lol. The 700 RH field is alright on the GFS.

Just when we finally have a chance for light snow the models once again keep the best of it to our south... the Mid Atlantic had something like 4 small snow events this winter and we haven't had any yet. Regardless of these other storms, this one looks good for at least some light snow showers on Wednesday afternoon and evening, which in the best case scenario could perhaps accumulate up to 1/2 or 1 inch if more QPF than modeled falls.

Just when we finally have a chance for light snow the models once again keep the best of it to our south... the Mid Atlantic had something like 4 small snow events this winter and we haven't had any yet.

Impressive 2011-12 seasonal totals (through today) continue to be racked up to our south, causing New York snow fans to turn green with envy...

Wilmington, DE: 2.9"

Philadelphia: 2.8"

Atlantic City: 2.3"

Washington D.C. (Dulles): 2.3"

Washington D.C. (National): 1.7"

Baltimore (BWI): 1.3"

Just when we finally have a chance for light snow the models once again keep the best of it to our south... the Mid Atlantic had something like 4 small snow events this winter and we haven't had any yet.

Impressive 2011-12 seasonal totals (through today) continue to be racked up to our south, causing New York snow fans to turn green with envy...

They must have been *really* small...

+1

Just when we finally have a chance for light snow the models once again keep the best of it to our south... the Mid Atlantic had something like 4 small snow events this winter and we haven't had any yet. Regardless of these other storms, this one looks good for at least some light snow showers on Wednesday afternoon and evening, which in the best case scenario could perhaps accumulate up to 1/2 or 1 inch if more QPF than modeled falls.

Yeah, 4 events of 0.5" each. I would never envy those to the south of the dreaded 40N line...I'm much too elitist.

You're never too young to install that BS detector. I had surgery for mine a few years ago and have been a different man ever since.

Just combed the meteorology / theology commentary on your blog...interesting read!

And those Jersey snow maps are top notch.

Just combed the meteorology / theology commentary on your blog...interesting read!

And those Jersey snow maps are top notch.

Thanks William, means a lot coming from you. Re the snow maps, some of those took quite awhile to draw up, but this year's may be a 10-15 minute one like 2007-08, if we continue on the same path for the next couple months.

Thanks William, means a lot coming from you. Re the snow maps, some of those took quite awhile to draw up, but this year's may be a 10-15 minute one like 2007-08, if we continue on the same path for the next couple months.

Speaking of 07-08, was just thinking the other day how that winter would feel bitterly cold compared to this one. I definitely recall a handful of very cold days in 07-08. I think my lowest temp was 9 that winter, with a day in January at 18-19 for a high temp.

Speaking of 07-08, was just thinking the other day how that winter would feel bitterly cold compared to this one. I definitely recall a handful of very cold days in 07-08. I think my lowest temp was 9 that winter, with a day in January at 18-19 for a high temp.

First week into Feb and most sites running near 10 above normal. I dont remember Jan 08 being that cold? You must be thinking of Jan 2009 (1/16-17)

First week into Feb and most sites running near 10 above normal. I dont remember Jan 08 being that cold? You must be thinking of Jan 2009 (1/16-17)

Yeah Jan 08 was a torch, but the winter as a whole, DJF, finished about +1.7 in NYC. This winter will probably finish +3 minimum (if feb is near normal). So probably double 07-08's positive departure.

Just checked, Jan 3rd 2008 was a 20/12 day in NYC.

Yeah Jan 08 was a torch, but the winter as a whole, DJF, finished about +1.7 in NYC. This winter will probably finish +3 minimum (if feb is near normal). So probably double 07-08's positive departure.

Just checked, Jan 3rd 2008 was a 20/12 day in NYC.

Looks like NYC's coldest high temp so far this winter is an unimpressive 27F. If some modelling is correct, we'll beat that Sunday/Monday.

RSM has about .10 for the NYC area on Wednesday

http://www.meteo.psu...0z/rsmloop.html

It has the .22 inches of QPF max right over my location in C NJ. :lol:

Of course, this is probably bound to change in its next run, and it is probably overdoing the precipitation like the RSM likes to do right before a snow event here.

Ridiculous... Maryland gets 0.25" QPF with most of, if not all of it as snow, and we get a couple of flakes. Our best hope is for a north trend or for a closer/somewhat stronger storm pnce it reaches the coast, otherwise the best snow could miss us to the south once again leaving us with just some snow showers.

post-1753-0-90708600-1328582168.gif

Ridiculous... Maryland gets 0.25" QPF with most of, if not all of it as snow, and we get a couple of flakes. Our best hope is for a north trend or for a closer/somewhat stronger storm pnce it reaches the coast, otherwise the best snow could miss us to the south once again leaving us with just some snow showers.

post-1753-0-90708600-1328582168.gif

Not as ridiculous as February 6 2010 with them getting 30", while we saw zip.

You guys cashed in time after time last winter while we got squat except our one big 14" storm. We may get 1-3" on Wed but as a snow lover i would much rather live in your area.

To be honest, I rather experienced Feb 1-10, 2010 in Manchester MD, than anything else...

30" and 30". over 5 feet on the ground!!! :snowing:

Archived