mcd0076.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0076

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0216 PM CST THU JAN 26 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...GA...NRN FL

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 262016Z - 262215Z

ONE OR TWO ADDITIONAL WWS MAY BE NEEDED ACROSS PARTS OF THE EASTERN

GULF STATES AND SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS REGION BETWEEN NOW AND 00-01Z.

THE SQUALL LINE OVER THE NORTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO INTO THE

WESTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE HAS WEAKENED SOME. HOWEVER...IT APPEARS

TO BE MAINTAINING SUFFICIENT STRENGTH TO CONTINUE SUPPORTING A RISK

FOR DAMAGING WIND GUSTS/ISOLATED TORNADOES AS IT PROGRESSES EASTWARD

ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTHWEST GEORGIA AND THE FLORIDA BIG BEND REGION BY

23-00Z.

FARTHER NORTH...MORE UNCERTAINTY CONCERNING LONGER TERM CONVECTIVE

TRENDS EXISTS. BUT THERE STILL APPEARS POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

INTENSIFICATION OF CONVECTION LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. MORE

RAPID DEEPENING OF A SURFACE LOW NOW LIFTING OUT OF THE NORTH

CENTRAL GULF COAST STATES TOWARD CENTRAL/EASTERN KENTUCKY WILL

LIKELY CONTRIBUTE TO FURTHER INTENSIFICATION OF SOUTHERLY 850 MB

FLOW IN EXCESS OF 50-60 KTS...WHICH WILL ENLARGE LOW-LEVEL

HODOGRAPHS ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE RESIDUAL EASTWARD ADVANCING

CONVECTIVE BAND. THE INTERSECTION OF THIS CONVECTION WITH A REMNANT

NEAR SURFACE BAROCLINIC ZONE TO THE LEE OF THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS

COULD PROVIDE A FOCUS FOR ENHANCED SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL. THIS

MAY INCLUDE SUPERCELLS WITH TORNADOES...NEAR/NORTH OF ATLANTA INTO

WESTERN SOUTH CAROLINA...AS THE REMNANTS OF AN UPSTREAM LOW BEGIN

LIFTING THROUGH THE TENNESSEE VALLEY BY 00-03Z.

Big fail for metro-Atlanta. We will be lucky to clear .75" for the event imo. Severe isn't happening either this far north.

Doesn't look like it up here, have to agree yet the SPC's new mesoscale disco seems to think there's a chance some more isolated convection could fire ahead of the precip in Alabama, but it sure doesn't look that way based on the radar trends. Things have definitely warmed up, feels more soupy outside, but it's much warmer on the southside of ATL than up here in northern Gwinnett. Temps in Duluth on my way home were around 70 yet only 3 exits up temps are around 61.

Doesn't look like it up here, have to agree yet the SPC's new mesoscale disco seems to think there's a chance some more isolated convection could fire ahead of the precip in Alabama, but it sure doesn't look that way based on the radar trends. Things have definitely warmed up, feels more soupy outside, but it's much warmer on the southside of ATL than up here in northern Gwinnett. Temps in Duluth on my way home were around 70 yet only 3 exits up temps are around 61.

People at my office saying it's gonna flood because there is a flash flood watch. All I can do is sigh. Some of the FFC forecasters kinda blew this one. I remember hearing 1-3 inches a couple days today, and the severe doesn't seem like it's materializing like they thought it would. Maybe we get more rain than the radar is showing but I'm pretty skeptical at this point.

Big fail for metro-Atlanta. We will be lucky to clear .75" for the event imo. Severe isn't happening either this far north.

Yeah this is gonna be pretty lame by the way it looks right now. I've gotten .12" so far today.

Look at my forecast for tonight. :lol: Come on FFC.

Occasional showers and possibly a thunderstorm, mainly before 1am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1am. Low around 51. South wind 10 to 15 mph becoming west. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Somehow I see us falling short...

Radar indicated some weak rotation in the line about 15 miles southwest of

Columbus GA around 420 PM EST. Probably won't do anything but very

heavy rainfall should move into that area shortly along with gusty winds and

some lightning.

514 EST loop shows another flare-up about 5 miles west of Columbus.

Would not be surprised to see an SVR here. Otherwise, a couple of

other mesocyclones to the south, but nothing too impressive yet in

this Tornado Watch area.

looks like redevelopment is occurring right along the front in eastern Mississippi. The RUC has a strong vort rounding the base tonight and headed across Ga, so follow that for the possible redevelopment if theres enough moisture convergence and cape can recover enough. Actually with the primary lifting west of the Apps tonight it bodes pretty bad news possibly for northern Ga and Ala and into western Carolinas after midnight, esp. considering how the last event occurred very similarly to this one with an opening closed low lifting over the southern Apps (2 ef2 twisters in NC).

post-38-0-99235300-1327619465.jpg

Well, I'm pretty danged happy. .6 of rain and still coming down good. No thunder, no lightening, no wind. Just some soaking rains, so far. Hope ya'll what wants 'em get good storms...I'm pleased to just get some rain, for a change. I had enough thunder lately to get set up for about 10 snows down the line :) T

The line has super weakened for the CAE area. Nothing to even stay up for here. SPC doesn't even think it's worth a watch at all. Should have known when TWC said "possibility of severe weather" for this area it'd be the complete opposite. I don't even see good rain totals out of it.

Archived