amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Snowstorm Potential 1/21 Part II

earthlight

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, snow warnings have been discontinued.

That is not the criteria for a (HEAVY SNOW WARNING) yes I am aware they no longer exist.

That is Winter Storm Warning snowfall criteria right from the NWS website

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/winter.html

Some may also be suprised to see how high advisory level criteria is

12hrsnwadv.jpg

The criteria still hasn't changed.

1) Its better not to have people say snow warning and ask about snow warnings when they dont exist

2) Its not accurate in other ways as well. Read the definition and look at the last part

"A warning may still be warranted if the event is expected to exceed advisory criteria, but fall just short of warning criteria and will significantly impact mass transit and/or utilities."

The 12Z SPC WRF looks pretty good with snows from 09Z-18Z from NYC on the sim radar. It shows the best echoes late from 14-17Z or so for NYC as the coastal gets going and parts of SNE look to get hit quite hard...seems to have the same idea with more QPF barely south of NYC.

As a further update, the 18Z 6 hour forecast from this AM's 12Z run is about as dead on as possible, it has all the heavier bands in IL/WI/IN almost exactly as on the radar.

1) Its better not to have people say snow warning and ask about snow warnings when they dont exist

2) Its not accurate in other ways as well. Read the definition and look at the last part

"A warning may still be warranted if the event is expected to exceed advisory criteria, but fall just short of warning criteria and will significantly impact mass transit and/or utilities."

Either way, whether to issue a warning or an advisory is up to the sole discretion of the forecaster in charge. Of course they usually communicate with the surrounding offices so that everyone is on a similar page. Since this is all based on the confidence of the forecaster that warning level criteria will be met, not every storm is handeled identically.

Pretty much par for the course with most of precip even at coast falling as snow with some

IP/ZR mixed near the ending as precip rate falls off and we get some warming aloft.

I agree with this. Higher intensity precipitation on the southern periphery of the show shield should help overcome slightly above freezing mid-level temperatures, if the warm push materializes. I expect a mostly snow event north of Sayreville, NJ.

I agree with this. Higher intensity precipitation on the southern periphery of the show shield should help overcome slightly above freezing mid-level temperatures, if the warm push materializes. I expect a mostly snow event north of Sayreville, NJ.

It'll be interesting to see how the storm and precip enhance as it hits the ocean. There could be some decent bands somewhere in the snow shield over N NJ/S NY/CT and enhanced snow/ice/rain closer to the low. It'll be a fight at the end here but if we mix it won't be until the end. I still think the chance exists for a zone of ZR and sleet somewhere.

Guest Patrick

As a further update, the 18Z 6 hour forecast from this AM's 12Z run is about as dead on as possible, it has all the heavier bands in IL/WI/IN almost exactly as on the radar.

Snowgoose...I believe it was you who wisely suggested that we watch p-types in central/eastern PA for trends as to what we should expect here. It looks to me like that is pretty much on track in IL/WI/IN at this time. Is it too soon to deduce anything regarding ptype from those obs?

Looking forward to tonights run as it will be extra accurate.

The only problem I have with this event right now honestly is it appears there are not many banding signatures showing on much of the meso models and alot seem to just show light snow for an extensive period, it may not mean much but its something to keep in mind.

The only problem I have with this event right now honestly is it appears there are not many banding signatures showing on much of the meso models and alot seem to just show light snow for an extensive period, it may not mean much but its something to keep in mind.

That's been my thinking all along. If northern NJ doesn't see warning criteria snowfall it won't be because of mixing issues.

See what you could do to push that 'mostly snow' event about 5 miles south please. :whistle:

Warnings can also be issued for combinations. For exampkle, 4 or 5 inches of snow, followed by a tenth of an inch of ice can get a warning. It's up to the forecaster's discretion.

Archived