• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Snowstorm Potential 1/21 Part II

earthlight

A few areas between Northeast New Jersey and Montauk Point should get 6+. Just the luck of the draw.

I don't think anyone east of the Suffolk County line stands a chance at seeing 6.0"+. There is a reason why the watches have not been expanded south and east. Even up my way, I think 3-5" is much more reasonable than the forecasted 4-8". Some people may be underestimating the lack of intensity in precip as you travel north.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS looks warmer. :axe:

I'm thinking it's more and more likely central NJ and southern Long Island (maybe even up into and through NYC) flip to sleet or ZR mid-morning, before it ends by midday or so. But still several inches of snow before then.

I would trust the NAM more with surface temps. Wherever winds stay NE or ENE won't go to liquid rain, unless it's coastal NJ where that's still onshore flow.

I cant answer completely for him, but since your my sounding buddy, I use Bufkit and can get these in between soundings but not until the run is completely done so it may be awhile. I do think like you said its warming the mid levels as the best lift and precip move away so most of the snow is ending anyway.

Is Tmagan here or is he still eating dinner? wanna find out how he gets the in between hour soundings.

It's also not a coincedence that the GFS got wetter as well as warmer. More moisture means more warm air being lifted and transported north. Hopefully it's not a last second trend.

It's good that the coastal front is still south of us as of 15z. Probably some mixing beyond that as the precip winds down.

I cant answer completely for him, but since your my sounding buddy, I use Bufkit and can get these in between soundings but not until the run is completely done so it may be awhile. I do think like you said its warming the mid levels as the best lift and precip move away so most of the snow is ending anyway.

Yeah, bufkit will be later, he seems to get them like right when its running.

It's also not a coincedence that the GFS got wetter as well as warmer. More moisture means more warm air being lifted and transported north. Hopefully it's not a last second trend.

0.5" QPF line is almost to High Point, NJ on the 12z GFS vs south of KMMU on the 12z NAM. Even so, 850 freezing line never makes it west of the NJ turnpike and actually crashes back south and east as the precip is shutting off.

There have been plenty of events though where QPF amounts are lower but ratios are higher and the jackpot ends up being N&W. Remember the 12/5/02 event. Most of northern NJ/Hudson valley was not in a watch and some spots got over 10" across Sussex and Orange counties out of barely half an inch of precip. I've seen this happen many times especially when we're talking about these types of events rather than coastal lows where some areas end up too far away from the low and get shafted.

I don't think anyone east of the Suffolk County line stands a chance at seeing 6.0"+. There is a reason why the watches have not been expanded south and east. Even up my way, I think 3-5" is much more reasonable than the forecasted 4-8". Some people may be underestimating the lack of intensity in precip as you travel north.

A lot of them come from you, so that should weed things out, lol.

LOL-hello pot, my name is kettle...wont be on much--going to wake up, take the boys outside to enjoy with some sledding and clearing the driveway with their new "cars" snow shovels-doing this one old school. Not going to sit behind a computer fretting that someone in NJ is getting heavier echos than me in a moderate run of the mill storm for around here

Archived