• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Analysis and Guidance Page

Does anyone else have issues with it? Unless it's just me this page is absolutely awful...errors left and right with certain images not showing, or you'll see a random graphic of the central PAC, or the link is broken and you have to refresh about 5 times to get to it and it goes horribly, horribly slow at times.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you talking about the NCEP site? If so, I stopped using it because it was the epitome of bad website design and a major major step backwards from what they had before. I just use RaleighWx's site, which, while ugly and occasionally having broken links, allows me to get to what I want without thirty-seven clicks and actually supports opening images in multiple tabs (what a concept!).

Its not just you. Has been discussed before.

One day, it showed me the entire run 15 minutes after initialization.

The specs on the maps change, its slow as balls.

Just a poor job by the designers.

I do like the new layout actually, at first I didn't like it but it was very easy getting used to and I love the shortcut keys to advance or go back by 3 HRs.

Definitely agree...very poor job though with how this runs.

It's taken me about 5-10 minutes just to look at a total of 18 hours :arrowhead:

Are you talking about the NCEP site? If so, I stopped using it because it was the epitome of bad website design and a major major step backwards from what they had before. I just use RaleighWx's site, which, while ugly and occasionally having broken links, allows me to get to what I want without thirty-seven clicks and actually supports opening images in multiple tabs (what a concept!).

Yup

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller

Some of the new ideas are great i think...the ability to look at different regions/countries throughout the world and the shortcut keys...however, the errors on the site are disgusting.

Yup

http://mag.ncep.noaa...B/appcontroller

Some of the new ideas are great i think...the ability to look at different regions/countries throughout the world and the shortcut keys...however, the errors on the site are disgusting.

All of those new ideas could have been implemented using the old format, or using a new format that ****ing makes sense.

From their FAQ Document:

"If you experience problems while using the Model Analysis and Guidance web site, please let us know. We test as much as possible, but it is not possible to test every operation on every browser and every Operating System. If you experience a re-occurring problem, please try to send us as much detail as possible surrounding the problem, what exactly happened, and the steps to reproduce the problem. We will try to address the issue or acknowledge its existence in this section."

Send them specific, detailed, constructive comments using either:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/mail_webmaster/index.shtml

or

email: [email protected]

They've responded to folks in the past and I get the impression that they are genuinely interested in improving the page....

How would you (or anyone who wants to respond) make the Raleigh WX page better? What features would you like to see?

From their FAQ Document:

"If you experience problems while using the Model Analysis and Guidance web site, please let us know. We test as much as possible, but it is not possible to test every operation on every browser and every Operating System. If you experience a re-occurring problem, please try to send us as much detail as possible surrounding the problem, what exactly happened, and the steps to reproduce the problem. We will try to address the issue or acknowledge its existence in this section."

http://mag.ncep.noaa...ter/index.shtml

or

They've responded to folks in the past and I get the impression that they are genuinely interested in improving the page....

Would they respond to someone saying that the system itself is just plain broken and flawed? I'm not talking about saying "hey, when I click this one link, it won't load" kind of stuff.

How would you (or anyone who wants to respond) make the Raleigh WX page better? What features would you like to see?

Mostly, just fixing the occasional broken links (e.g., on the Euro page, the US and NA 850 temps link to the same image starting at 168 or so). I suppose having an old-school NCEP style where the page doesn't show links for hours that aren't out yet would be cool too. I was supposed to fix some of this stuff, but I was a ****head back then, and still kind of am, so it'll have to be someone else.

From their FAQ Document:

http://mag.ncep.noaa...ter/index.shtml

or

I did not see this.

Thanks for posting.

I will send along some of the issues I have encountered.

Would they respond to someone saying that the system itself is just plain broken and flawed? I'm not talking about saying "hey, when I click this one link, it won't load" kind of stuff.

Honestly? Probably not (but I don't know that for certain. I'm not part of NCO, nor the MAG team). However, I would send the comments along anyway (but do so in a professional manner). At least your thoughts will then be documented and seen by those in charge of the thing.

Just sent in the issues I have been experiencing. I'm sure over time all the issues will be resolved and improvements will continue to be made.

i have sent them 4 emails in the last month..they say they are working on it..does anybody over there have computer skills?..it's absurd, but it's the goverment

i have sent them 4 emails in the last month..they say they are working on it..does anybody over there have computer skills?..it's absurd, but it's the goverment

Interesting.

These issues have been going on since the site was first put online...it's been like 9 months now. How hard could these issues really be to fix?

I hate how you can't loop the run, but pause it to scroll each frame individually witqhout using the arrow keys on my board. You use tone ble to click on the pic and then scroll. Now you have to use the arrow buttons on the page. Pain in the ass bc the "medium" image size never fits on the screen.

Nice additions. But its not user friendly.

My site (http://www.instantweathermaps.com) has NCEP-like maps for the GFS, NAM, and RUC. Also, if you wanted the NCEP maps but with a different interface, my app ($5) features maps and loops of every map available on the NCEP page.

I've just started using your site and I must say, I'm quickly growing to it. So many different options and it's very easy to use.

Do you take suggestions for things to ad?

I've just started using your site and I must say, I'm quickly growing to it. So many different options and it's very easy to use.

Do you take suggestions for things to ad?

No but I take suggestions on things to add. If your only suggestion is loops then note that in order to keep my site operating at maximum performance, I currently have no plans to ever add loops to any free portion of my site. For a reasonable subscription fee ($1.50 per month) you will be able to access loops of any variable on my site, and eventually a couple of other models, via my app. More details in about a week. So what are your suggestions?

No but I take suggestions on things to add. If your only suggestion is loops then note that in order to keep my site operating at maximum performance, I currently have no plans to ever add loops to any free portion of my site. For a reasonable subscription fee ($1.50 per month) you will be able to access loops of any variable on my site, and eventually a couple of other models, via my app. More details in about a week. So what are your suggestions?

Meant to say add :lol:

Anyways is it possible to add anomaly maps?

Such as model projections for like 850mb temp anomalies, 500mb temp anomalies/height anomalies. I know such maps exist but I just can't seem to find them...I believe they are probably more on the pay sites.

I do definitely plan on getting a subscription to your page as well...pretty cost efficient.

the problems continue

takes forever to load a page during a model run...have to wait for an hour after the model runs to be able to open pages with normal speed

when i hit next on the 4 panel page to get to the next hour...i see wrong images..missing images...i see images from the last run etc...

those people over there are absolute morons for taking what they had and making it worse and then after months of crappy performance, they still havent fixed it.

Morons and Idiots..

No but I take suggestions on things to add. If your only suggestion is loops then note that in order to keep my site operating at maximum performance, I currently have no plans to ever add loops to any free portion of my site. For a reasonable subscription fee ($1.50 per month) you will be able to access loops of any variable on my site, and eventually a couple of other models, via my app.

Yikes, a pretty hostile response from a website owner who is trying to draw more viewers. :lol:

the problems continue

takes forever to load a page during a model run...have to wait for an hour after the model runs to be able to open pages with normal speed

when i hit next on the 4 panel page to get to the next hour...i see wrong images..missing images...i see images from the last run etc...

those people over there are absolute morons for taking what they had and making it worse and then after months of crappy performance, they still havent fixed it.

Morons and Idiots..

totally agree I have sent 5 emails and I get back the same response,they are working at it..Either they are totally inept or they just don't care

totally agree I have sent 5 emails and I get back the same response,they are working at it..Either they are totally inept or they just don't care

working on it?? Its been like this since November? It was fine last year? What are they working on? They are probably inept and they certainly do not care.

What a classless bunch of people

working on it?? Its been like this since November? It was fine last year? What are they working on? They are probably inept and they certainly do not care.

What a classless bunch of people

This is probably a little overdone. But I do understand the frustration.

The way I see it, the website worked perfectly the way it was before. I haven't liked the new set up from the moment it was introduced for testing.

Archived