• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Lake Effect Snow

Jim Martin

SBN, as of 7PM tonight, has now doubled their season total to date (6.5" today which puts them now at 13.0" for the season). Have to start somewhere. :lol:

Several reports of a foot of snow in parts of South Bend. The meterologist on ch. 16 this morning had 12.8" and she lives on the east side of the city. The airport is on the far west side.

Here, picked up close to 2" during the night, but up around syracuse, 10 miles from here, picked up much more. Still snowing very lightly.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 inches overnight, so it looks like about 10" total locally here in the SW part of the city. Interesting that the airport in the NE part of the city already had that much by 10 pm. I've already been out and shovelled the driveway. The radar was showing the heaviest snow on the east side of the city again this morning, so I wonder what things look like over there. I'll find out shortly as work is very near the airport. Should be a very slow morning commute.

Darn wife took the camera when she and the kids left to visit her parents on Sunday. :axe:

Awesome Alan. I've had to rely on MTO and web cams to get a glipse of the white ecstasy you're experiencing. Any chance of a pic or two? :whistle:

Awesome Alan. I've had to rely on MTO and web cams to get a glipse of the white ecstasy you're experiencing. Any chance of a pic or two? :whistle:

Sorry MIke. As I indicated earlier, my wife took the camera with her when she went to visit her parents. I had to stay home because I work this whole week including yesterday. They return tomorrow so I'll get some aftermath pics.

By the look of radar, we're still getting pounded. Should let up in a few hours at most.

Sorry MIke. As I indicated earlier, my wife took the camera with her when she went to visit her parents. I had to stay home because I work this whole week including yesterday. They return tomorrow so I'll get some aftermath pics.

By the look of radar, we're still getting pounded. Should let up in a few hours at most.

:lmao:

My reading comprehension first thing in the morning ain't too good.

London Airport reporting +SN +BLSN with 1/4 vis in the last half hour.

1-2 feet expected there. The LES band has set up and become stationary right over the city of 450,000.

The amount we got in the city was unexpected at least by me.....

Earlier on Monday the snow bands kept moving around and there were more breaks than snow, and even later on in the early evening, most of the activity looked to be east of the city. When the bands started dropping back west I thought they would probably move right thru and set up shop to the west of the city. Wrongooo. The WRF QPF model output really didn't look very impressive either so I suppose that helped to lower my expectations.

The drive to work this morning was pretty intense with visibility probably dropping below a couple hundred feet at times. Looks like every part of the city got in on the action. The amount of snow is about the same everywhere. Probably a little over a foot here at home. Score another one for EC. They can be bad on synoptic stuff, but when they forecast LES, you have to pay close attention..........

Yes. And the winds are still gusting. In fact, the wind today sublimated our 0.4" of snow to just skiffs in the grass with a little more on the edges. One thing we never really should complain about in metro-Detroit (esp east side) is LES. If you are right under a band you can score, otherwise a dusting is your safest bet in most LES setups (Jan-Feb 2007 notwithstanding, of course that was a synoptic nightmare). All I can say is Im really pining for some action by midmonth in line with some of the ramblings Ive heard.

I love lake effect snow. Places like Toronto, Detroit and Pittsburgh can score relatively well (even better than Chicago and Milwaukee) on it if the wind direction is right. I'm convinced a portion of the averages does factor in Lake Effect Snow.

I'm sure there has been a time or two or three in Detriot's history where a stationary LES band set up over the city and dumped several inches. In fact, while it busted, there was a time back in 2007 I believe where somebody out this way during a west wind LES event was expected to get 4-6" of snow, DTX issued a Winter Weather Advisory and everything for it. Even last season we had that band set up along I-96 that dumped locally 2-4" out in Oakland County.

I'm sure it'll happen (again?) however...

I love lake effect snow. Places like Toronto, Detroit and Pittsburgh can score relatively well (even better than Chicago and Milwaukee) on it if the wind direction is right. I'm convinced a portion of the averages does factor in Lake Effect Snow.

I'm sure there has been a time or two or three in Detriot's history where a stationary LES band set up over the city and dumped several inches. In fact, while it busted, there was a time back in 2007 I believe where somebody out this way during a west wind LES event was expected to get 4-6" of snow, DTX issued a Winter Weather Advisory and everything for it. Even last season we had that band set up along I-96 that dumped locally 2-4" out in Oakland County.

For my area... ended up with 0.7" total bust

I don't know about that. They get it more often but areas along western Lake Michigan can get 6-12" of pure LES (even more on rare occasions) if the setup is right.

I don't know about that. They get it more often but areas along western Lake Michigan can get 6-12" of pure LES (even more on rare occasions) if the setup is right.

Just for the record, we can get directly impacted by LES (from Lk Ontario), as well as the scraps from Lk Huron.

Jan 26-27, 2004 produced ~20" near the southwest lakeshore of Toronto, about 12-14" of that being pure LES.

Just for the record, we can get directly impacted by LES (from Lk Ontario), as well as the scraps from Lk Huron.

Jan 26-27, 2004 produced ~20" near the southwest lakeshore of Toronto, about 12-14" of that being pure LES.

Also, the February 13 2007 LES band that dropped some 70cm or so on Hamilton and Burlington.

It can happen west of the Lakes.

Also, the February 13 2007 LES band that dropped some 70cm or so on Hamilton and Burlington.

It can happen west of the Lakes.

That one was even more impreessive, although from what I recall the really crazy numbers were up on the mountain. Lakeshore got less.

Here's a small snapshot of the Jan 26 2004 band courtesy of BUF. It really didn't intensify until the predawn hours of the 26th but you get a taste of the situation:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/lakeffect/lake0304/h/radar/radloop2.html

Nice to have another NE Ohioan. You must have been in the jackpot zone out in Ashtabula County.

Welcome aboard; there are quite a few of us that post here from northeast Ohio. We also have a general northern Ohio weather and LES thread as well.

Nice to have another NE Ohioan. You must have been in the jackpot zone out in Ashtabula County.

Welcome aboard; there are quite a few of us that post here from northeast Ohio. We also have a general northern Ohio weather and LES thread as well.

Hey thanks for the welcome. I'm actually out of northern portage county. We typically do pretty well with a NW flow. Where is this northern ohio thread under?

Hey thanks for the welcome. I'm actually out of northern portage county. We typically do pretty well with a NW flow. Where is this northern ohio thread under?

This has turned into a general Northern Ohio/LES thread:

Seems like lake effect snow might make an appearance the west side of the lake for a time Thursday before swinging into IN/MI.

Quote from LOT:

FRONTAL BOUNDARY APPEARS TO ARRIVE AROUND DAYBREAK THUR...AS PHASING OF THE TWO SYSTEMS BEGINS TO TAKE PLACE OVER SOUTHEAST ONTARIO/SOUTHWEST QUEBEC. FOR A PERIOD OF TIME WINDS OVER NORTHEAST IL/NORTHWEST IN COULD BE NORTHEASTERLY. THIS COULD EASILY FAVOR A LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND FOR A PERIOD OF TIME THUR...THEN WINDS BACK TO THE NORTHWEST IN THE COLD POOL AND PUSHES ANY LAKE EFFECT CONCERNS TO NORTHWEST IN AND SOUTHWEST LOWER MICHIGAN.

Archived