northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2012 Winter Banter Thread

CooL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never remember a winter where so much of the country had no snow. Sure, here it happened a lot, but midwest, new england AND the west...unheard of...any analogs?

01-02 is probably the closest, but I think the midwest did ok that year-so this might be unprecedented in the last 30-40 years at least.

Well I remember him calling for warm Dec in 06 and a flip in mid January of 07

07-08 we did get some snow/ice in Dec but not much else until late Feb.

I mean nobody in their right mind would predict less than 10" of snow for the entire winter for NYC before the season even begins, but at the same time we're not going to get 30 to 40" every year either.

JB went warm one year and then we got a good December with a bunch of frozen events...he was right come Jan, Feb and March--want to say 06-07 or maybe 07-08?

I was watching the movie Fargo last night and I was just thinking.. wow... look at all the snow and the cold weather.. I don't know when the movie was filmed.. (i know it's a 1995 film) - In fact, I don't remember where it was filmed exactly, but i'm pretty sure it was in MINN and/or N. Dakota.. i'm assuming it was filmed in January of 1994- but it's funny to think of how cold and relatively snow covered (i know they don't get over 40-60" of snow up there - maybe less per year) but it sticks around from December to March.. And yet this year, there is nothing up there.. It's truly bizarre..

I checked it out on wikipedia and found this: The unseasonably mild winter of early 1995 forced the crew to move locations frequently to find suitably snow-covered landscapes. Fake snow had to be used for many scenes. Pools and streams of meltwater are visible in many scenes.

It was funny because I caught the first episode of Homeland last night and its amazing how the scenery changes from shot to shot (something only a weather weenie would notice). You can see shadows of trees in full foliage, in the next shot there is obvious fake snow on the ground, in the next its brown and no leaves on the trees but no snow either.

I was watching the movie Fargo last night and I was just thinking.. wow... look at all the snow and the cold weather.. I don't know when the movie was filmed.. (i know it's a 1995 film) - In fact, I don't remember where it was filmed exactly, but i'm pretty sure it was in MINN and/or N. Dakota.. i'm assuming it was filmed in January of 1994- but it's funny to think of how cold and relatively snow covered (i know they don't get over 40-60" of snow up there - maybe less per year) but it sticks around from December to March.. And yet this year, there is nothing up there.. It's truly bizarre..

I checked it out on wikipedia and found this: The unseasonably mild winter of early 1995 forced the crew to move locations frequently to find suitably snow-covered landscapes. Fake snow had to be used for many scenes. Pools and streams of meltwater are visible in many scenes.

It was funny because I caught the first episode of Homeland last night and its amazing how the scenery changes from shot to shot (something only a weather weenie would notice). You can see shadows of trees in full foliage, in the next shot there is obvious fake snow on the ground, in the next its brown and no leaves on the trees but no snow either.

I'll notice that sometimes as well such as progression of seasons or sometimes see they filmed portions of it at different times so it goes from summer to fall to summer again. Another movie they had problems with was A Christmas Story, it was filmed in the 82-83 winter and they had to use fake snow and move to film in Canada.

That should tell you something.

That being a met does not mean that you are qualified to speak about climatology? Last I checked people that studied the climate were called climatologists, not meteorologists. This is not a swipe at you btw just a general pet peeve of mine.

From nj.com/star ledger: oy

The National Weather Service at Mount Holly cautions that travel could become hazardous at times, especially on secondary roads, where conditions could become slick quickly. Freezing rain is especially dangerous because it freezes on contact with the surface, and turning what looks like a wet roadway into an icy mess.

For the rest of the state, a steady, soaking rain is expected, which could be heavy at times. Minor flooding is not out of the question where heavier rain falls, according to forecasters.

The forecast gets even more complex Thursday night into Friday morning, when a strong cold front diving in from Canada sweeps across the northeast. The National Weather Service said temperatures should fall fast tomorrow night, and rain could quickly change to snow across northern New Jersey.

Enough energy may be present in the atmosphere to create lines of snow squalls, or brief and often extremely intense bursts of snow typically accompanied by heavy winds, the weather service said. Snow squalls can be dangerous and downright frightening to drive through, as snowfall rates can easily exceed 1 inch per hour and visibilities can be reduced to almost nothing in moments.

Snow squalls are similar to thunderstorms in their brief, dramatic intensity and how they form. A rumble of thunder is not out of the question as the atmosphere becomes unstable with the passage of the cold front, according to AccuWeather meteorologist Henry Margusity. This should primarily affect northern and central New Jersey, the weather service said.

From nj.com/star ledger: oy

The National Weather Service at Mount Holly cautions that travel could become hazardous at times, especially on secondary roads, where conditions could become slick quickly. Freezing rain is especially dangerous because it freezes on contact with the surface, and turning what looks like a wet roadway into an icy mess.

For the rest of the state, a steady, soaking rain is expected, which could be heavy at times. Minor flooding is not out of the question where heavier rain falls, according to forecasters.

The forecast gets even more complex Thursday night into Friday morning, when a strong cold front diving in from Canada sweeps across the northeast. The National Weather Service said temperatures should fall fast tomorrow night, and rain could quickly change to snow across northern New Jersey.

Enough energy may be present in the atmosphere to create lines of snow squalls, or brief and often extremely intense bursts of snow typically accompanied by heavy winds, the weather service said. Snow squalls can be dangerous and downright frightening to drive through, as snowfall rates can easily exceed 1 inch per hour and visibilities can be reduced to almost nothing in moments.

Snow squalls are similar to thunderstorms in their brief, dramatic intensity and how they form. A rumble of thunder is not out of the question as the atmosphere becomes unstable with the passage of the cold front, according to AccuWeather meteorologist Henry Margusity. This should primarily affect northern and central New Jersey, the weather service said.

There will be no moisture now,anywhere. Why do media outlets still use AccuWX?

That being a met does not mean that you are qualified to speak about climatology? Last I checked people that studied the climate were called climatologists, not meteorologists. This is not a swipe at you btw just a general pet peeve of mine.

You missed the point completely. Most mets also take climatology...

You missed the point completely. Most mets also take climatology...

And I took undergrad meteorology and taking a graduate meteorology course this semester, but that doesn't qualify me to speak on the same level as those that specifically studied climatology. Btw I know your original point; the climate change forum is a sh-thole so they won't bother going in there. I don't think it's that bad.

Let me ask what a criminal attorney asks, what is the motive for liberals to argue climate change??

Several, most notably potential financial gain and reduction of national sovereignty...

I have never heard of a liberal profiting off of this theory. .

So you would characterize Albert Gore as a conservative?

Go watch the movie Religilous by Bill Maher.

i think the movie should be a mandatory academic curriculum for young minds....

Oh my.. first the Left forbid teaching any religious principles in the schools...now they wish to teach contempt for the very doctrines they expelled...First Amendment manipulation at its finest...they can make a person feel like a living violation of the Separation of Church & State...

Oh my.. first the Left forbid teaching any religious principles in the schools...now they wish to teach contempt for the very doctrines they expelled...First Amendment manipulation at its finest...they can make a person feel like a living violation of the Separation of Church & State...

ok you can stop now. this conversation was over hours ago...and moved to the other forums.

im not going to get into it with you....nobody wins but both sides want to.

Guest Patrick

No separation of church and state in the weather arena... case in point, earthlight's "MOTHER OF GOD" comment when posting NOAA-related maps during the winter of 2010-2011. LOL :lmao:

Left wing hates any limit on their ability to live as they want to <just insert reverse from original> etc...Except when it comes to things they do not want to do, such as <just insert reverse from original>, that they try and control. The hypocrisy is insane.

Fixed...

No separation of church and state in the weather arena... case in point, earthlight's "MOTHER OF GOD" comment when posting NOAA-related maps during the winter of 2010-2011. LOL :lmao:

haha that was awesome dude.

On an ending note, Al Gore did not decide one day to get rich off of climate change.

Once again, William, reading is fundamental. Al Gore donated all proceeds from his movies and books on climate change to non-profit organizations.

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-denver/al-gore-to-pen-new-book-donate-proceeds-to-own-group

And yes, you are right, normal people who care about the environment want the UN to rule the country. Further, schools teach the stories and beliefs of the greeks, romans, chinese, native americans, etc, and treat them as past nonsense, so teaching Christianity, Judaism and everything else would be no different.

A class on "Religion" is 100% fine. Reading and teaching the bible as history and truth is NOT ok. Everything is not black and white.

Archived