Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/Tri-State Area: Stumbling into January Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WillORH agrees with this assessment as well. Good job.

There is still a huge vortex over Baffin Island in the LR EC ensembles so even with a PAC shift, it would probably favor cold more in the northern tier with the -EPO/+NAO look...esp upper plains....but given the time range, I agree that jumping on any pattern change yet would be premature. I think the tendency for ensembles to rush such things makes me think we'll make it to Jan 15th with the current regime in the high latitudes.

It's pretty horrid with a dominant +EPO and torched CONUS until the AK block comes in at, oh, 336...Looks as we might be seeing a torch pattern with no high-latitude blocking and a strong trough building into CA/Southwest.

The GFS is cold for much of the run. -20c 850s come back at the end. Still no more than snow showers showing up, though.

The GFS is cold for much of the run. -20c 850s come back at the end. Still no more than snow showers showing up, though.

For some reason I am not seeing this as cold..

This looks pretty close to what the ECM showed at 12 Z

At the end of the run yes it seems to want to bring colder air back in but its always the long range ...and keep in mind the GFS has a cold bias in the long range as well...

It's not cold in the part of the run that matters, which is the Day 6-10 showing what happens after the PNA induced cold shot we are definitely getting. It's very mild at that timeframe with a death vortex over AK and a trough digging into the west. That is the consensus forecast with the 12z Euro and most of the ensembles agreeing. That AK block that it continually shows in the LR hasn't been getting any closer the past few days.

It's not cold in the part of the run that matters, which is the Day 6-10 showing what happens after the PNA induced cold shot we are definitely getting. It's very mild at that timeframe with a death vortex over AK and a trough digging into the west. That is the consensus forecast with the 12z Euro and most of the ensembles agreeing. That AK block that it continually shows in the LR hasn't been getting any closer the past few days.

If that stretch is short-lived, though, as the GFS is are showing, we could still get wintry weather this month.

For some reason I am not seeing this as cold..

This looks pretty close to what the ECM showed at 12 Z

At the end of the run yes it seems to want to bring colder air back in but its always the long range ...and keep in mind the GFS has a cold bias in the long range as well...

But it could also get better. Remember that we are heading into the most wintry part of the year traditionally. Plus, we knew it could be a step down to what we want.

That makes them a joke? BTW, Upton's forecast highs this morning for NYC metro were mid 30's and that's where temps wound up.

It certainly doesn't help their case. Either they are way to early or way to late, for example they were bullish on the oct 29th event, then went way overboard with 6-10" in NYC. They always seem to be off in something regardless of the season or situation.

It certainly doesn't help their case. Either they are way to early or way to late, for example they were bullish on the oct 29th event, then went way overboard with 6-10" in NYC. They always seem to be off in something regardless of the season or situation.

It seems like Mt holly and most of the offices do the same,must be a fed thing...lol.

I don't mean to be an apologist for Upton. However, the 10/29 event was exceptionally difficult to forecast snowfall amounts, particularly on the fringe of snow versus rain, which is precisely where NYC sat. A couple of miles (literally) to the west and northwest of NYC certainly received 6" to 10"+ snowfall amounts. Can't fault Upton for that one at all. On balance, I think they do an excellent job, and I would rank their accuracy higher than many (most?) private forecasting concerns which frequently go for the extreme, hype, or to be the first to report something, all at the expense of accuracy.

I personally favor Mt. Holly over Upton. The AFD are usually more detailed and updated more frequently. With that being said they have had there share of screw ups. For the February 5-6 2010 storm that burried DC, I only received virga with a WSW for 4-8". Forecasting that sharp cutoff wasn't easy, but I remeber the NAM catching on early and not wavering. They decided to go with the Euro fail. You win some you lose some. Btw, this probably belongs in the banter thread. :whistle:

I personally favor Mt. Holly over Upton. The AFD are usually more detailed and updated more frequently. With that being said they have had there share of screw ups. For the February 5-6 2010 storm that burried DC, I only received virga with a WSW for 4-8". Forecasting that sharp cutoff wasn't easy, but I remeber the NAM catching on early and not wavering. They decided to go with the Euro fail. You win some you lose some. Btw, this probably belongs in the banter thread. :whistle:

I read both OKX and PHI AFDs each morning. I just have to say that Walt Drag writes the most engaging AFDs. The Upton guys write their AFDs well, but are right to the point. I want to be able to walk away intrigued. :lol:

Archived