Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/Tri-State Area: Stumbling into January Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the 2 day cold snap next week, I see no reason why the SE ridge doesn't rebuild, especially if the +PNA is broken down. If we loose the PNA, the pattern become a full torch and back into the 50s+

Its really more of transient ridges. The euro warms up day 7-10 but would go back into a cold snap as the next PNA ridge appoaches.

Not a good pattern at all, but its very possible we can time out a vort to drop down into the ridge and give us a perfectly timed snow event.

The 1st ridge early next week still has a chance of snow showers and a possible weak coastal towards day 6-7. There are so many pieces of energy diving in, its impossible for any model to correctly predict anything past day 4.

se ridge begins to disappear as the next ridge builds in, its very transient.

even 95-96 had se ridges from time to time, the key is to not have them for weeks on end like we have seen. the pattern overall still looks much better, even though that might not be saying much

Perhaps the only highlight this winter will be an over performing cold air mass with perhaps a few snow showers or squalls as well. Otherwise the whole pattern remains wretched with a likely warm up a few days after the cold snap, a major warm up if the Euro is correct actually. Even a quick inch in a squall would be a blessing at this point so that's all we have to go on.

even 95-96 had se ridges from time to time, the key is to not have them for weeks on end like we have seen. the pattern overall still looks much better, even though that might not be saying much

True, and you actually NEED a little SE Ridge to get a snowstorm, to help prevent the lows from sliding straight East.

This will make AG3 happy, after the SE Ridge ends around 240 hours, we def. transition to a very 93-94 type pattern with lots of impulses on the cold side of the gradient

this goes from 240 hours through the end of the ensemble run which is 360 hours and at the end the gradient is still shifting south which means the pattern is still establishing itself..

PV of death keeps spinning over Alaska throughout the latest couple of Euro runs. That to me pretty much equals the most horrid possible winter pattern over the East.

This will make AG3 happy, after the SE Ridge ends around 240 hours, we def. transition to a very 93-94 type pattern with lots of impulses on the cold side of the gradient

this goes from 240 hours through the end of the ensemble run which is 360 hours and at the end the gradient is still shifting south which means the pattern is still establishing itself..

Where do you see the ensemble run out to 360hrs?

The 12z Euro ensembles. I don't see a huge difference between OP and Ensemble mean with SE ridge. The SE ridge is quite as strong on ensemble mean. But I wouldn't expect to be at this range:

PV of death keeps spinning over Alaska throughout the latest couple of Euro runs. That to me pretty much equals the most horrid possible winter pattern over the East.

I have the full euro ensembles all the way to 360 hours with spaghetti plots and all sorts of stuff. The SE ridge goes away and we are in a cold pattern with plenty of impulses.

I don't see any big storm patterns but the death vortex and se ridge are not game players in the stuff i am looking after the small SE ridge disappears

if you read my post above, that fits in well with the SE Ridge which develops for a few days at that time. we cool down right after

I have done that but if i am reading it correctly you are suggesting a "gradient" pattern which if i remember the last time the ECM was showing a "gradient" pattern you were one of the people that were saying that the area does not do well in a "gradient" pattern but now you seem more excited?

So what is the difference between this "gradient pattern" being shown and the last?

I have done that but if i am reading it correctly you are suggesting a "gradient" pattern which if i remember the last time the ECM was showing a "gradient" pattern you were one of the people that were saying that the area does not do well in a "gradient" pattern but now you seem more excited?

So what is the difference between this "gradient pattern" being shown and the last?

Generally we don't fair well, but the pattern I am looking at, albeit on a smoother ensemble way out in time, would be fine for us

No I meant to say that the highs will stay below freezing for a day with lows mainly in the teens with some single digits well inland NW.

Should stay below both Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday has a chance also, but most likely has mid to upper 30's as highs.

Archived