• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Quick thump potential Wed night (12/7-12/8/11)

snowgeek

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree with this! Its all about the mesoscale banding at this point.

The NAM does have some support from the HRRR, except its a couple hours faster with the mesoscale band setup over KALB. Still not too bad of an agreement.

If either the 4 km NAM or the HRRR pan out, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few reports of thundersnow overnight.

Well you could always take a drive. :) I have business in ITH occasionally and in the winter I always see snow depth increase a lot as you head east (and up in elevation) toward Dryden. In think that is route 13.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the eastern edge of Tompkins County got about twice as much snow as we did last year. Watching those LES bands in December crush Dryden while leaving Ithaca with nothing was very frustrating.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the eastern edge of Tompkins County got about twice as much snow as we did last year. Watching those LES bands in December crush Dryden while leaving Ithaca with nothing was very frustrating.

Take a ride just to the ne of campus, believe its called varna...turkey hill road gets up high, probably highest point in the gerenal ithaca area...use to drive up their on borderline situations and it was always snowing

I bet ALB is thinking about advisories for the CD and possibly upgrading the western zones. 3" is starting to look like a better lower end than upper end of a range.

I don't know how they can. Even the farther SE guidance would yield a solid 2-3". If the banding makes it into Albany things will go apesh** for a few hours and probably catch people off guard. I don't really see the downside of putting up an advisory at this point. Sure you bust if low end verifies...but if the NAM verifies you're borderline warning criteria.

NAM held strong though...just by guestimating from the graphics...probably cut back a bit on QPF after the switch (still around 10pm for ALB)...but its' still a solid 0.8-0.9" QPF after that.

EDIT: Just got the text that NWS pulled the trigger on the advisory as I posted this.

I don't know how they can. Even the farther SE guidance would yield a solid 2-3". If the banding makes it into Albany things will go apesh** for a few hours and probably catch people off guard. I don't really see the downside of putting up an advisory at this point. Sure you bust if low end verifies...but if the NAM verifies you're borderline warning criteria.

NAM held strong though...just by guestimating from the graphics...probably cut back a bit on QPF after the switch (still around 10pm for ALB)...but its' still a solid 0.8-0.9" QPF after that.

EDIT: Just got the text that NWS pulled the trigger on the advisory as I posted this.

It was as though they read my post :P ... or more likely your analysis. But they did exactly what I thought they would... upgrading the western counties to warning, posting advisories for the valleys, and setting 3" as the lower end of the snowfall range.

They're going for 4-8" in ALB now lol!

To me it looks like 1"+ after initial mixing between 8-9pm on the 18z NAM.

I should take a nap now.... I have to get the driveway cleared and then leave around 8:30 AM for Hamilton, Ontario...about a five hour ride west.

Too bad this couldn't have come a day earlier, but not complaining!

35.3 here now.... Report says that Charlotteville (1500') in southwest Schoharie County has an inch of snow down, +SN.....

20Z RUC has low tracking from Queens to Boston! Seems pretty far west. Sleep tonight??????? Fawgetaboudit!!

My mom and sister have been traveling up I-88 out of PA. Now they must be only about 30 minutes southwest of here .... They tell me that all along from BGM it has been snow on the higher ridges and then back to mix or rain in the low spots.... By now maybe it's snow everywhere at the southwest end in greater BGM, but they passed through there around 4:30....

Yup. Rain coming down pretty heavy at times. 37.6 here and no mixing yet.

Wow, if this had all been snow...

I'm headed home from East Greenbush now... I'll provide a report from up on the hill when I arrive home.

My mom and sister have been traveling up I-88 out of PA. Now they must be only about 30 minutes southwest of here .... They tell me that all along from BGM it has been snow on the higher ridges and then back to mix or rain in the low spots.... By now maybe it's snow everywhere at the southwest end in greater BGM, but they passed through there around 4:30....

My wife and kiddies, mother, mother-in-law, etc. are coming back from NYC on a bus trip to see the Rockets expecting to be in Oneonta between 10:00 and 11:00. That could be a fun ride.

Over to big fat flakes now. No real accumulation yet and I have apparently broken my outside thermometer by changing the batteries so I have no idea what the temp is.

36.1 here, dropping steadily. Mixing has commenced, no flakes yet, more like graupel.

I think when it does snow, it's going to be heavy.

Archived