• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Quick thump potential Wed night (12/7-12/8/11)

snowgeek

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like we have to put up with rain longer tomorrow evening, but it also looks like we may be in a great comma head snow situation for several intense hours later evening. Hard and fast several inches probably.

BTW 11 PM tv guys forecasts didn't reflect the reality at all....lazy or prudent? They didn't seem to pay attention to the 0Z runs at all.

Temp has been steadily falling in ALB. 39/37 with a light north wind. NWS forecast is for steady temps in low 40's tonight.....hmmmmm.

00z GFS is now fully on board for a pretty significant precipitation event. Its also significantly warmer than the ECMWF in the early going, although it still sends the 850mb low east of KALB, so we should see a transition at some point Wednesday Night as the heaviest precipitation moves in. If the ECWMF ends up verifying though, this transition could be earlier.

00z GFS is now fully on board for a pretty significant precipitation event. Its also significantly warmer than the ECMWF in the early going, although it still sends the 850mb low east of KALB, so we should see a transition at some point Wednesday Night as the heaviest precipitation moves in. If the ECWMF ends up verifying though, this transition could be earlier.

It would be nice to see the 00z euro hold steady.. a slight westward adjustment wouldn't hurt too much as we'd get in on some nice CCB snows as the storm pulls away. 00z ukmet looked almost identical to 12z.

00z euro looks good.. very similar to 12z just slightly northwest with the precip shield. temps look almost identical maybe a hair warmer to begin with but crashes quick.

Pretty much exactly what we wanted to see for Albany... it seems the models are finally starting to lock in their solutions. Again we might start slightly too warm (till around 9-10pm) when things should quickly change over to very heavy wet snow, with 1"+ snowfall rates for a good 6 hour period. That 850mb low never gets west of our location, but it doesn't tighten up fast enough (thanks to the low being a bit strung out initially) so we don't get very efficient CAA till the middle part of tomorrow night.

This one is going to be close. Euro and NAM are in pretty close agreement it seems. For the capital region, column seems to get cold enough to support the flip sometime between 10pm and midnight. Both the NAM and Euro then put out somewhere around 0.5" QPF after that point...with given what may be some lousy ratios should still equate to a 2-4" snow for valley...more in the higher elevations. If the area were to get into the heaviest banding (which I'm thinking may set up just to the south as it did for the Halloween storm), then the potential is there for some even higher amounts...but given how quickly this thing will be moving and the uncertainty with the changeover, it tough to justify a forecast any higher than that (for the valley anyway). Higher elevations to the south could easily pick up 4-8" with this. They'll flip a little earlier and potentially get into some of the heavier banding. Bottom line is everything hinges on how quickly the changeover occurs. Bust potential is still pretty high...shift the precip shield 25 miles south of where modeled and Albany misses out on heavier precip rates which will have a hard time generating decent accumulations even after the flip. Wouldn't take much for this to bust and turn into nothing but a slushy inch or less for the valley.

Really a shame there's nothing to slow this storm down.

Well it puts out over an inch of qpf here (maybe 1.2") after the 0C 850 line crosses us at 0Z.... Dunno if we will have some lag after 0Z to get the changeover, but certainly looks like a snow bomb for awhile tonight.

35.6/34 now

12z NAM seems to want to bring the banding into ALB...can we flip early enough to take advantage?

Helderberg's gonna get creamed!!!!! Dynamic cooing FTW!!! I have bad memories of watching it pour and watching the temperature crawl ever so slowly towards freezing. 12Z NAM looked a smidge colder at 850mb. Looking like a hard to predict slushy mess. Bust potential feels high either way.

12z NAM seems to want to bring the banding into ALB...can we flip early enough to take advantage?

Well it puts out over an inch of qpf here (maybe 1.2") after the 0C 850 line crosses us at 0Z.... Dunno if we will have some lag after 0Z to get the changeover, but certainly looks like a snow bomb for awhile tonight.

35.6/34 now

Looking at the sounding data...it does look a tad cooler as well. The 6z run had SFC temps at 3.2C in Albany at 3z...with 850 just above 0 still at 3z. 12z run much cooler at the surface at 3z...0.7C...with 850 now just below 0. It then brings in the heaviest banding after that point dropping 0.75-1.0" QPF. That suggests all the lowball calls for this system are in serious jeopardy. We'll see if this run gets support from the rest of the 12z models.

In any case...I think you do well up there in the hills. Even before the 12z I would've said you'll make a run at 6". I don't know how this plays out in the valley...but I remain optimistic...which is a bit out of character for me. I'm usually as conservative when it comes to forecasting as it comes.

Latest 12z NAM bufkit for Albany has precipitation changing over at 03z Thursday with 6 hours of heavy snow following. It has around 1.25" of liquid equivalent precip as snowfall.

Any idea if these coolwx plots are based off Bufkit data?

http://coolwx.com/cgi-bin/getbufr.cgi?region=NY&stn=KALB&model=nam&time=2011120712&field=prec

Pretty much agrees with what you said...and I notice in the url it says 'getbufr'...just curious. I haven't bothered to download bufkit...but I do look at those coolwx plots from time to time.

WITH REGARD TO TONIGHT/S STORM...THE FIRST ISSUE WILL BE UPDATING

THE CURRENT SUITE OF WINTER WEATHER STATEMENTS EARLY THIS

AFTERNOON. LATEST 12Z/NAM CONTINUES TO SUGGEST HEAVY

QPF...ALTHOUGH LINGERING A BIT LONGER...PAST 06Z...WHEN THE COLDER

AIR ARRIVES. EXTREME MID LEVEL F-GEN SUGGESTS THAT...WHEN THE

CHANGEOVER TO SNOW OCCURS...IT COULD BE VERY HEAVY...EVEN IF FOR

ONLY A COUPLE OF HOURS. CAN NOT RULE OUT SNOWFALL RATES OF 2-3

INCHES/HOUR...OR EVEN HIGHER...WITHIN THE FIRST HOUR OR TWO AFTER

CHANGEOVER. NOW...SHOULD THE PRECIP LINGER ONLY AN HOUR OR MORE

THAN CURRENTLY EXPECTED...HIGHER TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS COULD

EASILY BE REACHED...PERHAPS ALMOST DOUBLE WHAT IS CURRENTLY

INDICATED. WILL ASSESS THIS VERY CLOSELY OVER THE NEXT 1-3