• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Banter/Obs Thread

wisconsinwx

hows that 2 or 3" of back end snow working out lol.. I can't believe its still struggling to get near freezing right now. Every time I look at the Zone forecast the past few days this cold early week gets a degree or two warmer. Guess the real cold day is friday now. Wonder how long we can squeeze out after that?

hows that 2 or 3" of back end snow working out lol.. I can't believe its still struggling to get near freezing right now. Every time I look at the Zone forecast the past few days this cold early week gets a degree or two warmer. Guess the real cold day is friday now. Wonder how long we can squeeze out after that?

Funny you should ask. I was wondering how that bs 0.3" of snow on the 1st and 2nd was recorded. I'm pretty sure not a flake stuck here; I guess it did at the airport, though.

Funny you should ask. I was wondering how that bs 0.3" of snow on the 1st and 2nd was recorded. I'm pretty sure not a flake stuck here; I guess it did at the airport, though.

lol.. you had nothing in the morning of the last storm? north facing side of the homes road here kept almost all of the whopping tenths all day.

Do most of you guys prefer a front-loaded or back-loaded winter? For me its back-loaded, which is odd in that...it feels like there HAS to be snow for Christmas, the anxiety of awaiting the first couple snows is killer, and the lower sun angle that Dec brings (and im all about snowcover). Despite this, I have to say Ive enjoyed the back-loaded winters much more. And not just because theyve been more common lately. I think to years like 2005-06, when the Christmas season was full of snow, but the rest of winter absolutely SUCKED, and even 2000-01, when Dec was buried in snow, and the rest of winter sucked, yes we got to feed off of Decembers deep but dirtying snowpack for a while after new years, unlike '06, but still...those are just not for me.

Do most of you guys prefer a front-loaded or back-loaded winter? For me its back-loaded, which is odd in that...it feels like there HAS to be snow for Christmas, the anxiety of awaiting the first couple snows is killer, and the lower sun angle that Dec brings (and im all about snowcover). Despite this, I have to say Ive enjoyed the back-loaded winters much more. And not just because theyve been more common lately. I think to years like 2005-06, when the Christmas season was full of snow, but the rest of winter absolutely SUCKED, and even 2000-01, when Dec was buried in snow, and the rest of winter sucked, yes we got to feed off of Decembers deep but dirtying snowpack for a while after new years, unlike '06, but still...those are just not for me.

I defiantly prefer a front loaded. why? because of sun angle. After March 20th snow is lame all it does inflates your yearly totals

I defiantly prefer a front loaded. why? because of sun angle. After March 20th snow is lame all it does inflates your yearly totals

Well yeah, March 20th is VERY backloaded :). If I had to define it, I guess Id say front-loaded would be if a majority of your snow falls before Jan 15th and backloaded if a majority falls after Jan 15th.

Mich-

By far I would prefer a back loaded.

If we get a lot of snow early, it seems like the pattern locks in and keeps us cold and dry...

Yeah. Whats weird, too, is that as overanxious and pessimistic as people get EVERY year at this time, Ive noticed that whatever happens in December (unless its historic) seems to sort of fly off the radar at the end of winter. For example, say winter a and winter b both see the exact same amount of snow. Winter a, however, sees a ton of snow in Nov/Dec but the 2nd half is filled with Jan/Feb torch and a few salvagable late March snows. Winter b starts off very slow through New Years, just a few light snows in a very mild regime in Nov/Dec but winter hits hard beginning in early Jan and lasting to March. In the end they will have the EXACT same amount of snow, but winter b gets a much higher grading from the majority.

Yeah. Whats weird, too, is that as overanxious and pessimistic as people get EVERY year at this time, Ive noticed that whatever happens in December (unless its historic) seems to sort of fly off the radar at the end of winter. For example, say winter a and winter b both see the exact same amount of snow. Winter a, however, sees a ton of snow in Nov/Dec but the 2nd half is filled with Jan/Feb torch and a few salvagable late March snows. Winter b starts off very slow through New Years, just a few light snows in a very mild regime in Nov/Dec but winter hits hard beginning in early Jan and lasting to March. In the end they will have the EXACT same amount of snow, but winter b gets a much higher grading from the majority.

I'll add some credence to your theory Josh. 2005-06 and 2006-2007 were those winters "a" and "b" imby. Both kinda sucked (seasonal totals in the mid 30 inches) and both were void of any large snowstorm or other noteworthy occurence. The only major difference was that in 05-06, winter was done by Christmas and in 06-07, winter didn't start really until the middle of January. I can say that if I was forced to relive one of those winters right now (the horror), I'd definitelly go with backloaded 2006-07. I guess it's better to anticipate things'll get better rather than have things going good and waiting for the hammer to come down. Or something like that, :unsure:

Archived