OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

TUL

MON 06Z 13-FEB   2.9	-3.3	1022	  47	 100	0.01	 560	 543	
MON 12Z 13-FEB   0.9	-2.4	1018	  81	  80	0.08	 556	 542	
MON 18Z 13-FEB   1.5	-0.4	1014	  91	 100	0.11	 552	 541	
TUE 00Z 14-FEB   1.9	-0.6	1010	  96	  67	0.08	 548	 540	
TUE 06Z 14-FEB   2.4	-1.2	1012	  98	  61	0.01	 551	 542	

Thank you so much!!! Now, if you could just tell me which numbers I should be looking at:) The 2.9? 3.3? or .01? LOL, I'm not a met.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much!!! Now, if you could just tell me which numbers I should be looking at:) The 2.9? 3.3? or .01? LOL, I'm not a met.

The 2.9, -3.3 are the temp and dewpoint in degrees Celsius. The 1022 is the pressure in millibars. The 47, I believe represents the percentage of cloud cover. The 560 and 543 represent the maximum and minimum thickness values. Hope this helps.

The 2.9, -3.3 are the temp and dewpoint in degrees Celsius. The 1022 is the pressure in millibars. The 47, I believe represents the percentage of cloud cover. The 560 and 543 represent the maximum and minimum thickness values. Hope this helps.

I appreciate it, thank you.

BTW, the NWS Tulsa just mentioned this, and frankly, I'm a little bothered by the "freezing rain/sleet" scenario they are referring to. YUCK!

EXTENDED DISCUSSION...

ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM WILL BRING MORE PRECIPITATION

TO EASTERN OKLAHOMA AND NORTHWEST ARKANSAS LATE SUNDAY

AND MONDAY. CURRENT NUMERICAL MODEL TEMPERATURE PROFILES

FOR LATE SUNDAY AND MONDAY ARE VARIED. THUS A DEFINITIVE

FORECAST OF PRECIPITATION TYPE...OR TYPES...IS UNWISE AT

THIS TIME. A MOST LIKELY SCENARIO SUGGEST POSSIBLE SNOW

OR SLEET NORTH NEAR THE KANSAS BORDER AND RAIN SOUTH...

WITH SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN CENTRAL. SOUTHERLY WINDS IN

LOWER LEVELS DURING THIS TIME PERIOD STRONGLY SUGGEST

ANY WINTRY PRECIPITATION THAT DOES MATERIALIZE WILL BE

RELATIVELY SHORT IN DURATION...MAYBE AROUND SIX HOURS OR

LESS BEFORE A TRANSITION TO JUST RAIN.

The 18Z GFS is really wanting to make primarily sleet/freezing rain event from 1-40 North to the border of Kansas. Around the border of KS/OK is where it would be primarily snow. This is not good!!! :axe: The system slowed down and would not come into my area until temps have warmed up during the day on Monday...

Yeah, we'll see.. There will be changes as we get closer to the event. Hoping it goes colder.... The precip really ramped up on the 18z. I saw Tulsa note that not many snow events happen with a southerly wind.

FYI, Beau posted that the NWS will be testing out tiered severe warnings.

Looks like Wichita, Springfield, Topeka, KC, and St. Louis will be participating in the test.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/32568-tiered-warnings-coming/

You know it's been a pretty terrible winter when you are hoping for snow even though it will more than likely melt off pretty quickly or change to rain. I've seen more fantasy snowstorms on the GFS during the last 2-3 day than I have on all the models this entire winter.

A mostly rain event is what I have been fearing the last few days.

Any reason why you believe it will be a mostly rain event?

Not trying to be mean or anything, but I'm just curious why you say that, is it a 'gut' feeling or something else?

It seems like the models have over done the cold all winter and closer to the event they progressively warm plus I think this storm will slow down more and come through when the temps are warmer. I hope im wrong I want a good snow. =)

Well, you may be right. We'll be dealing with an airmass that has been around a day or two and the sun angle is increasing this time of year. I hope it comes in colder closer to the event though ;)

Well JoMo or Doug anyone got any idea of what the Sunday night To Tues time frame hold for us and any ice accums or duration of that stuff we may encounter ????

Accumulations are difficult to say currently as well as precip type. It would be nice to have Springfield's dual-pol upgrade complete so it would be easier to determine precip type but the radar will be down starting tomorrow for a week to week and a half.

Local met from KNWA jumping on the latest model bandwagon. Thinks NWS will issue an Advisory or Winter Storm Watch by the weekend. Calling for 2-4 inches in NW Ark.

I'm with WeatherMatrix. I'm not sold on the cold air sticking around. These WAA situations tend to warm the lower layer just enough to piss us all off.

Time will tell...

I think on any normal winter season, we wouldn't be analyzing a trace-4in system. Anyhow, glad to see the GFS going colder...would really like for some of the best precip to come back towards Tulsa, but whatever...I'll take my 1in and be content. Problem is I will just want more

I think on any normal winter season, we wouldn't be analyzing a trace-4in system. Anyhow, glad to see the GFS going colder...would really like for some of the best precip to come back towards Tulsa, but whatever...I'll take my 1in and be content. Problem is I will just want more

Oh no, we still would be, lol.. It's not like we get a lot of snow.

Based on the B&W charts the 00z GGEM probably came in pretty much the same.

Am I reading the GFS right? It is putting out 1" of snow across far SW MO overnight?

I'm not seeing that. Oh, you're looking at twisterdata... Not sure what the deal is with that, must be some sort of error since the surface temps never fall below mid-30's

The instantweathermaps map doesn't show any snow tonight.

I'm not seeing that. Oh, you're looking at twisterdata... Not sure what the deal is with that, must be some sort of error since the surface temps never fall below mid-30's

The instantweathermaps map doesn't show any snow tonight.

I must have missed a memo. The twisterdata stuff is not accurate?

Archived