joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have little confidence in any guidance beyond day 4. As HM pointed out in the main page medium discussions a couple of days ago, the models will struggle with this transition pattern from run to run. Expect daily changes, IMO.

Well the 12z GFS cuts off a storm system over the SW and leaves us pretty dry until it kicks out as rain, however, the ensemble mean suggests there is probably quite a spread in the solutions. The GGEM(Canadian) has a storm it looks like that would bring wraparound snow to NE OK, SE KS, SW MO.

12z Euro looks to phase the N stream and S stream system. It probably isn't that far off yesterdays fantasy GFS run but farther south.

Actually the models have changed position with the 12z GFS now showing a cutoff over the SW which the Euro was showing yesterday and the 12z Euro now phasing the streams together and making a decent storm out of it like the GFS was doing yesterday.

Waiting on wunderground to update but I am fairly certain there will be snow in at least Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Edit: It does show snow in the area but not as robust as I thought it would have, surface temps aren't that cold.

Edit 2: 12z Euro/Canadian look pretty similar.

Yeah the Euro was a bit disappointing in its snowfall projection. Was expecting a bit more than that based on the upper air charts. I guess temps are a bit warm. But at least it has taken a step more toward the GFS solution from yesterday, which was prolly a bit extreme. As 24/7 says at least maybe we have something to watch this week.

00z Euro wants to cut the system off over the SW. It does produce some snow that is along a Wichita to KC line and farther NW.

00z GFS isn't gonna do it, too warm at the surface. May get some snow though, but meh.

00z Canadian may have some wrap around snow showers or something.

:axe: Seriously, I'm so over this "winter"! Apparently, the east coast may get a bomb next week, no hope for us...I think I'm done. It's official, I'm throwing in the towel. Onto to tornado season:)

I gave up a week or so ago. I wish we could skip to next winter and bypass severe season, lol

I gave up a week or so ago. I wish we could skip to next winter and bypass severe season, lol

That's understandable...if the tornados could just be out in the middle of nowhere, that would cool with me! BTW..the GFS ensembles look nothing like the OP GFS...what the heck?

That's understandable...if the tornados could just be out in the middle of nowhere, that would cool with me! BTW..the GFS ensembles look nothing like the OP GFS...what the heck?

Long range or short range? The 12z OP GFS was a cold outlier in the long range.

Yea, the 12Z OP GFS is the cold outlier. Just an example, but at hr264 12Z GFS Ensemble forecast doesn't have Houston anywhere near freezing at that same time as the 12Z run says the highs in Houston would be 30s and 20s for lows, indicating that the 12Z run is quite an extreme.

Archived