SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man this is shaky ground we're treading on with these systems. Temps are so critical, as usual.

Yes, that's going to be a problem. The air itself should be of a polar variety so the models may not be cold enough and may try to move it out too quickly. But... there is not a lot of snow on the ground to the north so the airmass will modify.

This looks rather ominous (as well as being yet another GFS run with a potential big system in the 192 hr+ period):

What is more concerning is the huge reservoir of 65-70+ degree dews just waiting to be pulled northward in front of this system should it eject as a consolidated trough.

00z Euro is still cold enough for snow through 144 for all of the area. Although the thicknesses may indicate some warmer air somewhere which may produce a mix, not sure since it's the Euro. It's actually cooling the 850 MB level and keeping the cold air trapped at the surface as well.

This may be indicating a lot of lift with the system. It's also showing the 'convective' nature at times which may mean there is instability somewhere.

The 12Z GFS is saying the Sunday/Monday timeframe will be simply a VERY cold rain. Let's see what the Euro says. It would be really nice to have some agreement (for it to be colder) between the models:)

yeah it came in a bit warmer on the 06z as well. So frustrating, lol

What is making the GFS think it's going to be warmer, and why does the Euro think it's going to be colder?? What are they each seeing that the other doesn't? And is one better than the other at this range?

There are probably multiple factors. The one thing that jumps out is the 12z GFS has a surface low feature, while the 00z Euro did not. The cold high pressure was stronger on the Euro indicating a colder airmass. Euro is king at Day 5-6 range. I'm not sure about a cold or warm bias in the longer ranges this year.

It's also possible the GFS is eroding the cold air away too quickly, models try to get rid of arctic airmasses too quickly at times.

The 12z GFS ensembles at 126 show many colder than the OP at 850.

f126.gif

lol yeah I saw that, lock it in!

I'm just wishing for some snow before it turns to rain with the system in a few days.

We probably still have until mid-March to get some snow or one of those big snowstorms that we sometimes see in the first week of March.

lol yeah I saw that, lock it in!

I'm just wishing for some snow before it turns to rain with the system in a few days.

We probably still have until mid-March to get some snow or one of those big snowstorms that we sometimes see in the first week of March.

Im hoping for something also man, really I am this has been so drab and boring! This week coming up sounds and could be interesting though? Maybe we will get lucky, we shall see in time huh :)

Archived