northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 18-20 Potential Talking Points

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When models jump around like this like they have been the last few days it reminds me if an old Dave Wert rule, Dave worked at the WSO at NWS Newark back in the day where we only had 2 models availalbe the LFM and NGM, Rainshadow may recall Dave they wrote an excellent paper together on Hurricane Gloria, anyway Dave's rule was even systems that look perfect in the month of December have a way of falling apart. Anyway just thought I throw it out there, I am a little concerned here of the storm not happening to many of the models have it now as a fish storm for the NYC metro area where my concerns are. " Like Joey B says we shall see what we shall see " By the way Great discussion everyone like Jim Eberwine, NWS Mount Holly once told me a good forecaster should never be on an island when forecasting we take a little something from everyone. Have a great day !!

06Z NAM looks like it would be a miss but its hard to say given it could begin really amplyfing at 90 or 96.

Yeah, it got closer than 00z though. At 84 hours you can see the energy in the trough now over the Central US. Not totally a bad solution but obviously you want to see this trend continue.

84hr 300mb jet is ominous if it's about 4-6 hours slower, as it is the look of it isn't too bad anyways.

It really does look quite appetizing to say the least. we need that s/w to be a bit more juiced up. Per the Euro, and even the 00z GFS, the northern stream looks like it wants to play, the s/w has to do it's part. There is ample time to have these individual trends of a stronger s/w and more PV interaction continue. Potential is there for a great phase or even a nice bomb off the coast without a phase.

lol epic fail tn wrt to the models...why does tracking the weather have to be so damn frustrating. I guess its that aspect of it that makes it so exciting at the same time...

It doesn't have to be if you factor in climo, past performance of these paper storms, and if folks don't live and die by each damn computer model run.

The 6z NAM is basically better in every aspect than the 0z NAM was. Much less confluence, and 300mb is much more amplified.

And this is random, but I see that iverson3 is posting in this thread...just as I was watching youtube videos of Iverson putting up 58 points...lol.

Nice, what a coincidence lol, one of his greatest individual performances ever, though the game didn't mean much. Hope this storm can come through with the same flare he had in his game.

Nice, what a coincidence lol, one of his greatest individual performances ever, though the game didn't mean much. Hope this storm can come through with the same flare he had in his game.

It was actually game 1 against the New Orleans Hornets in a playoff series...it's unreal.

I'm actually a diehard Knicks fan, but I always loved AI.

And yes, maybe me watching the videos and you posting will bring flare to this darn shortwave!

If we don't get anything out of this southern shortwave, then what is the northern stream going to phase into?

It was actually game 1 against the New Orleans Hornets in a playoff series...it's unreal.

I'm actually a diehard Knicks fan, but I always loved AI.

And yes, maybe me watching the videos and you posting will bring flare to this darn shortwave!

If we don't get anything out of this southern shortwave, then what is the northern stream going to phase into?

Amen, glad to have a fellow AI fan here. It should definitely bring good luck. It is easier to get the southern s/w to amplify with than getting the PV interaction. If this were last year, we know that s/w would be trending stronger in future runs with that stj, but that's not the case this year. Let's get a couple strong jet streaks to get that low going off the coast there.

awful gfs run, cold and dry with a lake cutter at the very end. Fits La Nina well...I am increasingly worried the pattern takes a turn for the warm in Jan.

I'm not panicking yet, BUT....if this is going to be a common theme for the winter, then a warm-up would be a blessing. If it just isn't going to snow, then give me 40's and 50's the rest of the season.

This baby is coming back west for 12z. The trough goes negative earlier pulling the low to the coast a bit more. The trough axis of the 300mb jet is also aligned further west through 108 hr. Minor improvements, so even though 5h looked a little flat early on, end result is better than 12z. Look for that s/w to come in stronger at 12z and a solution even a bit closer to the coast with a little more significant northern stream interaction.

This baby is coming back west for 12z. The trough goes negative earlier pulling the low to the coast a bit more. The trough axis of the 300mb jet is also aligned further west through 108 hr. Minor improvements, so even though 5h looked a little flat early on, end result is better than 12z. Look for that s/w to come in stronger at 12z and a solution even a bit closer to the coast with a little more significant northern stream interaction.

What makes you think the shortwave will come in stronger at 12z?

Archived