• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 18-20 Potential Talking Points

earthlight

agreed earthlight this is drastically different than the look of some of the other models at same time frame sans the EURO which I didn't actually see but heard you guys talking about the much better PV orientation. I hate to get pulled back in here, and it is the 84hr nam but it sure looks a lot better than the last couple runs.

84 hr is the start of the NAM's good range.... inside 48 hours its awesome.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM has jumped back tremendously in the right direction. The PV is in a much better position and the trough axis is 150-200 miles further west. Might not pull it off verbatim but at the least it's going to be right off the coast.

I agree. I think extrapolated, the storm would be further north and stronger Also note there is good piece of the PV left behind that would severe as 50/50 low. And would help force the trough turn negative sooner.

2 things can be said...

1)its the 84 hr NAM and it is likely wrong, mostly because of the lack of other model support but also because it is at this range that it tends to be pretty awful.

2)first the EURO last night and now 12z NAM, the PV orientation is becoming better, albeit for now or until more models say otherwise, and unlike the euro it doesn't have a dead southern stream so it looks like it would be decent at LEAST for coastal areas.

We'll see if we can get some good trends today but as many said last night it isn't time to throw in the towel just yet but the trends last night were very disconcerting.

12z NAM at 84 and 06Z GFS at 90

trough further west and heights higher along east coast. The PV split is helping with the height rise

The big difference between the two is the orientation of the PV (I think it is the PV), on the GFS it is horizontal, on the NAM more vertical.

What affect does that have on the overall system?

2 things can be said...

1)its the 84 hr NAM and it is likely wrong, mostly because of the lack of other model support but also because it is at this range that it tends to be pretty awful.

2)first the EURO last night and now 12z NAM, the PV orientation is becoming better, albeit for now or until more models say otherwise, and unlike the euro it doesn't have a dead southern stream so it looks like it would be decent at LEAST for coastal areas.

We'll see if we can get some good trends today but as many said last night it isn't time to throw in the towel just yet but the trends last night were very disconcerting.

1) no 84 hrs is the threshold of the NAM's range where you have to look at it seriously.... of course we need a trend lol.  48 hours is where it really excells.  It has some suppport with the 6z GFS..... lets see where the 12z goes.

2 things can be said...

I mostly agree. 84 hr NAM is to be taken with a grain of salt. I wouldn't say it doesn't have support though yet, as it is one of the first models of the 12Z suite to come out, so we dont have anything with fresh data to compare it to yet.

I think the key here is getting that PV to split and be in a decent orientation to allow the trough to go negative soon enough and bring the storm up the coast.

1) no 84 hrs is the threshold of the NAM's range where you have to look at it seriously.... of course we need a trend lol. 48 hours is where it really excells. It has some suppport with the 6z GFS..... lets see where the 12z goes.

No, 84 hrs is the furthest out the NAM goes. ;) It is to be considered at this range, but as you said much more so within about 48 hrs.

1) no 84 hrs is the threshold of the NAM's range where you have to look at it seriously.... of course we need a trend lol. 48 hours is where it really excells. It has some suppport with the 6z GFS..... lets see where the 12z goes.

84hr NAM is just not good I'm sorry there is no denying that, I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me on that one. And 6z GFS did look better but the amount of variables is starting to make my head spin lol

The big difference between the two is the orientation of the PV (I think it is the PV), on the GFS it is horizontal, on the NAM more vertical.

What affect does that have on the overall system?

If the PV is too strong and southeast, it can push the storm out to sea. If we get it to split and/or phase with our system, it can allow the storm to come up the coast.

84hr NAM is just not good I'm sorry there is no denying that, I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me on that one. And 6z GFS did look better but the amount of variables is starting to make my head spin lol

Sorry for not being more clear-- I mean anything beyond 84 hrs on the NAM is fantasy range, starting at 84 hrs you start looking at it and trying to establish trends with future runs-- by 48 hours it becomes very good.  I remember the NAM didnt catch onto the northward movement of the 12/19/09 storm until right at 48 hours.  The earlier runs had it missing NYC.  Of course, 2/6/10 took care of that lol.

I don't usually trust the NAM or SREF too much beyond 48hrs. But it's a little interesting to me that they both shifted somewhat back in the right direction.

The NAM at 84 tends to be over amplified most of the time with storm systems so its not a surprise to me right now to see it be more west.

Wait, do you mean it doesn't look good on this run, or that it's not good in general?

Sorry for not being more clear-- I mean anything beyond 84 hrs on the NAM is fantasy range, starting at 84 hrs you start looking at it and trying to establish trends with future runs-- by 48 hours it becomes very good. I remember the NAM didnt catch onto the northward movement of the 12/19/09 storm until right at 48 hours. The earlier runs had it missing NYC. Of course, 2/6/10 took care of that lol.

Anything beyond 84 hours on the NAM is doesn't exist range, because it doesn't run beyond 84 hours.

This might be strictly true, but the 84hr chart sequentially follows the 81hr, which follows 78hr, and so on... and I think the 60hr NAM already looked pretty encouraging. So this has to have some value.

Also, when I compare today's 12z 84hr NAM charts to yesterday's 12z GFS jackpot run, h5 is comparable enough (specifically the 102hr panel) to convince me that the NAM is in the same ballpark. Interestingly, the NAM clearly has more northern stream cooperation than yesterday's GFS. That could hinder development initially (compared to yesterday's prog), but should ultimately help if it's right.

sorry, should've been more clear. Looks good on this run, is likely wrong, may be on to something, and I just dont think the threat looks good overall but thats obvious at this point.

If the Euro looks better today, wouldn't you feel better? There's still time for trending in the right direction, at least for a moderate event.

Archived