northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still clinging onto 33, the freeze-free period (*cough* growing season *cough*) is on it's death bed.

March 28, 2011 ~ December 11, 2011 (258 days)

Edit: and just like that it's over, dipped to freezing.

Btw I'm a little surprised Central Park didn't last until 10/11, it could've held for 50 more minutes. Not that it makes a difference anyways.

Still clinging onto 33, the freeze-free period (*cough* growing season *cough*) is on it's death bed.

March 28, 2011 ~ December 11, 2011 (258 days)

Edit: and just like that it's over, dipped to freezing.

Btw I'm a little surprised Central Park didn't last until 10/11, it could've held for 50 more minutes. Not that it makes a difference anyways.

A 258 day growing season for this location is beyond comprehension...even Macon, Georgia averages a shorter one...no wonder, for so many years before the current snow windfall, a member of the NE.Weather newsgoup used to say "there is a roof over NYC that prevents it from snowing there".

???

That would create the mother of all SE ridges without blocking.

To snow in this pattern, we need weak waves, clipper like storms and maybe get lucky with a clipper, developing into a miller b.

Energy being held back without a block is a recipe for a SE ridge, lakes cutter disaster.

1984 and 1990 had massive SE ridges for large portions of December but there were snow events late in each. Both from remarkably similar setups and ones similar to what you mention, the weak disturbances more or less running into arctic highs.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1984/us1227.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1990/us1228.php

If the Euro stratospheric maps are correct we should be seeing some signs of change after Christmas. So maybe the first or second week of January we can get into something good.

Here's a link to a

I did today for the pattern through the holidays. (Nothing exciting re: snow)

John fantastic discussion, well done. I agree 100% Couple sneaky events 23rd-1st, then true change. Did you talk to Mary Jane just before the discussion? (clearing of throat) lol, well done, well done.pimp.gif

Anyone see 06z GFS? Love how the cold air at 150 to like 192 sits over us for 4 whole days and while we're freezing in the icebox, the energy out in the plains ALSO sits there for 4 days and then ever so kindly ejects itself when the cold air finally starts to move out. Gotta love this winter.

that is what you get in a nina with no blocking and why we are cooked for at least three weeks.

i can't take anyone seriously who thinks blizzard of 96 was over-rated.

36 straight hours of snow.

(how often do you get 10 inches of snow... and then 24 more hours of continuous snowfall?)

the highest winds i've ever seen during a snowstorm.

27"+ of snow routinely reported from one end of the state (NJ) to the other.

it's the reason i use "96" in many of my passwords.

i can't take anyone seriously who thinks blizzard of 96 was over-rated.

And I have seen the maps, the atmosphere just doesnt turn on a dime, there is a lag. So best case, very end of december into first week of January which is the time a lot of us have been putting out there.

I was kidding numb nuts.....obviously it was a great storm, Im dissapointed I dont remember it.

And I never said the atmosphere was going to turn in a matter of days, I think that by christmas we'll be in a transition to a better pattern

Archived