• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

Both worlds can exists, but the regular discussion threads have to meet a higher standard. 240 hour forecasts, maps, steve d, jb, dt posts that are utter nonsense designed to bring traffic to their sites, map only posts with no explanation, etc. must be stricken down or moved immediately to the banter thread.

No one should be afraid to participate, and thus why a banter thread is good so people can learn and not be afraid to post, but the other threads can't turn into a free for all.

And under no circumstances should anyone go to another board or OT to mock, make fun or, insult, or degrade a poster. If you got something to say, bring it up in the banter thread, keep it civil, and move on.

If over time there is no discussion outside of banter when there is an actual event going on, then we can begin to worry.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that i take any model in the long range to seriously but i have to say i do find it interesting that the period that i have been talking about now since the beginning of the month as a potential for a shot at snow in a gradient type storm is now showing up on some of the guidance...

Here is 198 hrs of the ECM

maybe someone should start a thread called the weenie thread...

its this thread. See, atown's post is absolutely fine in this thread. So is abc's.

Metfan could come in here and tell us how Steve D promised him 300 inches of snow in march, and all would still be well.

Just keep it out of the threads that are for serious disco, and for the record, anything beyond 5 days really can't be considered serious disco unless we are talking about pattern change and then you gotta back it up with something other than a 240 hour prog.

bad day Earthlight...?

you want to communist this whole board now and regulate the banter thread to the point that there is no banter? maybe you should just create a separate forum for advanced forecasters and professionals where only the experienced guys can post. where you need to have a met degree or some form of forecasting ability. or just use your powers at be and ban everyone besides yourself, Trials, and the mets. the rest of us will just watch you guys go back and forth about your predictions from the sidelines. yippee, so much fun for everyone involved.

come on man... not like there is ANYTHING going on weather wise.

bad day Earthlight...?

you want to communist this whole board now and regulate the banter thread to the point that there is no banter? maybe you should just create a separate forum for advanced forecasters and professionals where only the experienced guys can post. where you need to have a met degree or some form of forecasting ability. or just use your powers at be and ban everyone besides yourself, Trials, and the mets. the rest of us will just watch you guys go back and forth about your predictions from the sidelines. yippee, so much fun for everyone involved.

come on man...lighten up. not like there is ANYTHING going on weather wise.

dude, I would be the first one to get banned don't kid yourself, LOL.

John just wants to make sure there is separate threads during active times to have good non weenie disco. That's all.

bad day Earthlight...?

come on man... not like there is ANYTHING going on weather wise.

this post is a ridiculous overreaction. i said that i think the banter thread is becoming the only thread people post in and it has me concerned. it's very easy to come here and post bullsh*t about everything and make this the only place you post.

what i would encourage is more participation in the discussion threads. otherwise the people who are still learning will just come here and dance around with their weenies out and be weenies for life, never learning stuff from participation in the more regulated discussion threads.

and don't hit me with the "there's nothing going on" thing...thats bs and we both know it...during both "threats" this year, this thread was about as active if not more active than the discussion threads.

not a bad day, just some thoughts. we really need some improved post quality in the main threads.

Keep the banter thread as is. when there is an actual threat, (and I hardly call the last system a threat--most saw zero snow) the posts in the banter thread will be alot less-given that there is close to zero to track the next 7 days, posts in the banter thread are going to be high...I mean what are we going to talk bout in the model and pattern threads? The high cirrus clouds? It being 44 instead of the forecast 45...

If you have ever moderated the forums of a website, you would know his pain.

hardly.

its pretty simple. this is a banter thread created for banter because it was filling up the discussion thread. fine.

now there is too much banter so he talks about getting rid of the banter thread all together.

that would result in the discussion threads being filled with banter again. bad.

and around and around we go....the end result, like i said, would be to just ban everyone but the select few. that is the only way you can accomplish what John wants.

this post is a ridiculous overreaction. i said that i think the banter thread is becoming the only thread people post in and it has me concerned. it's very easy to come here and post bullsh*t about everything and make this the only place you post.

what i would encourage is more participation in the discussion threads. otherwise the people who are still learning will just come here and dance around with their weenies out and be weenies for life, never learning stuff from participation in the more regulated discussion threads.

and don't hit me with the "there's nothing going on" thing...thats bs and we both know it...during both "threats" this year, this thread was about as active if not more active than the discussion threads.

not a bad day, just some thoughts. we really need some improved post quality in the main threads.

I agree with almost everything posted here. It's just that moderating human behavior is next to impossible. What you are really hitting on is just how pointless most posts are. The best place to start is by encouraging the forum leaders, or the best posters, in a separate PM to contribute more to the important threads and try their best to avoid the Banter thread...

i totally agree on both counts.

however, you are overreacting as well. there are more people than can only post in banter threads than discussion threads. so during events, the banter thread will jump more. plus, during events, people want to throw their weenies out. its just how it is. you cannot control that. frankly, you and other mods did by creating the banter thread to begin with.

someone who wants to learn should be able to differentiate between banter and discussion threads. so im really not sure why you want the banter thread to be less banter.

if you want to encourage more participation in discussion threads, then there are other ways besides threatening to remove the banter thread, is all im saying.

nothing was threatened, it was under consideration.

also, i never said that the banter thread should be less banter. i said that i don't like the fact that everyone is defaulting to this thread as the main area of discussion. i think you misunderstood my point. the areas you bolded in the quote, that was my point.

nothing was threatened, it was under consideration.

also, i never said that the banter thread should be less banter. i said that i don't like the fact that everyone is defaulting to this thread as the main area of discussion. i think you misunderstood my point. the areas you bolded in the quote, that was my point.

i must have originally misunderstood then. no biggie. i get your points now, though.

but what would happen if the main area of discussion is moved to the discussion thread? i feel like it would get clogged up with weak posts, which im sure most of us dont want. id rather have lower volume but high quality posts in the discussion thread, is kind of my point, because im not sure how many folks can provide high quality content, myself included lol.

Archived