Newest Member
    12bet1 net
And we're off - first threat for a few mangled flakes

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy the euro storm more than what the NAM is putting out for the 1st wave

It's the opposite for me. Just from an anecdotal perspective, if there are 2 waves on the proggs, most of the time the first ends up being more impressive than progged, and the second is often nothing. Not really scientific, but I remember countless cases where this has happened. In addition, we're out at 50-55 hrs for the first wave, not too far, and certainly not in the NAMs fantasty range. The GFS had a similar output but not as much precip in the sub 0c 850mb air as the NAM at 18z.

Also drops everyone, including the city, into the low 30's, Friday morning.

And highs only in the 40's, before the euro storm.

Regardless of what happens storm wise, this should put an end to the growing season for the vast majority of us (thank God). Kill off the allergies and mosquitos already.

It's the opposite for me. Just from an anecdotal perspective, if there are 2 waves on the proggs, most of the time the first ends up being more impressive than progged, and the second is often nothing. Not really scientific, but I remember countless cases where this has happened. In addition, we're out at 50-55 hrs for the first wave, not too far, and certainly not in the NAMs fantasty range. The GFS had a similar output but not as much precip in the sub 0c 850mb air as the NAM at 18z.

NAM is consistently too wet and too cold in these situations re: first storm.

As to the the two wave theory, these are far enough apart and two separate systems, so while I agree with you the two waves generally don't work out, this isn't that setup.

The 2nd storm threat is clearly there on the GFS. This run will probably still miss east with the slp track and development, but it shows just about everything you'd want to see in a 4-day model prog to get a little excited in October. The GFS also supports the NAM in giving snow to the Catskills, Bershires, and Taconics, with an outside shot of some flakes in the Hudson Highlands and elevated NNJ.

All the GFS needs to do is have it's upper energy more focused over Western PA and WV like the Euro and it will have a surface low position similar to the Euro.

Correct--great images. The upper air pattern depicted on the 18z GFS is highly similar to the 12z Euro run.

For a laugh, check out the differences between the 06z and 18z GFS.

All the GFS needs to do is have it's upper energy more focused over Western PA and WV like the Euro and it will have a surface low position similar to the Euro.

Great post, you can really see how the GFS is moving towards the Euro step by step. Its just missing that full phase that would wind up the vort enough to put the storm on the coast. In a nina pattern you would expect a more GFS like pattern but with whats going on upstream, I think a Euro solution is more likely.

Archived