• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
And we're off - first threat for a few mangled flakes

earthlight

Isn't the NAM the coldest solution though, the other models are definitely warmer at the surface even though they show a strong coastal storm like the NAM does, plus I know the NAM has a bias of being too cold, i need the other models to trend colder. Probably the only way to do that would be to show a stronger storm.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the NAM the coldest solution though, the other models are definitely warmer at the surface even though they show a strong coastal storm like the NAM does, plus I know the NAM has a bias of being too cold, i need the other models to trend colder. Probably the only way to do that would be to show a stronger storm.

The Euro was cold and showed snow right down to Long Island too. The GFS is hinting at the same, but might be missing out on the mesoscale dynamics a model like the NAM might pick up on.

OMG (2-3"/hr!!!)

CONUS1_MESO-ETA212_SFC_3HR-NEW-SNOWFALL_54HR.gif

Actually...

usaasnowi3sfc054.gif

You have to be careful when posting something that includes the moment it changes over... InstantWeatherMaps.com does "a specially weighted average" to the ratios before multiplying by precip. Granted, unlike most other sites with snow maps, Earl Barker's maps do not use faulty logic. They just count a little more rain as snow than they should (and on the back end they do the opposite if it's changing from snow to rain).

Actually...

You have to be careful when posting something that includes the moment it changes over... InstantWeatherMaps.com does "a specially weighted average" to the ratios before multiplying by precip. Granted, unlike most other sites with snow maps, Earl Barker's maps do not use faulty logic. They just count a little more rain as snow than they should (and on the back end they do the opposite if it's changing from snow to rain).

That map still shows 6" in a 3 hour period which is insane to begin with.

Pretty sure Thanksgiving of '89 had one but most of the time when we do get snow around these parts this early its more of a surprise. The fact that we are seeing this 2 days out and issuing watches is unreal.

I can't even remember one for November. I doubt they will issue one for the City. Possibly for NENJ, the lower HV, and interior CT.

High water content huge squirrel squashing plastering gigantic snowflakes would be bad for power/trees..but wtf, we are all extremists in here, bring it on :P

I think this is true but with 30 to 40 mph winds much will not stay on leaves thus averting a disaster for power.

Rossi

Temps dropping rapidly in the lower Hudson Valley. Winds suddenly very gusty about 50 miles north of midtown. A few pings of sleet suggest mid-levels have cooled below freezing. Snowflakes can't be too far to the north. Highest elevations (Fahnestock State Park?) likely to get dusted white tonight. Great sign that this airmass is respectably cold.

Pretty sure Thanksgiving of '89 had one but most of the time when we do get snow around these parts this early its more of a surprise. The fact that we are seeing this 2 days out and issuing watches is unreal.

There was a Winter Storm Watch in November 2002 for the entire area but it was dropped quickly after being issued.

Archived