• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
And we're off - first threat for a few mangled flakes

earthlight

Why am I getting a warning when he was the one posting about the GFS in the 300-hour range? Are you serious? If anything 'shouldn't fly' it's the BS comments that derail threads--aka, anything relating to the GFS post-truncation (even post 96 hours).

rolleyes.gif

I asked if anybody has seen it. Did I say that I think that is what is going to happen? I thought it looked pretty cool seeing the first GFS run bringing a snowstorm here at any point during the run. It's a sign that Fall is here!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am I getting a warning when he was the one posting about the GFS in the 300-hour range? Are you serious? If anything 'shouldn't fly' it's the BS comments that derail threads--aka, anything relating to the GFS post-truncation (even post 96 hours).

rolleyes.gif

There is a BS and Banter thread right below this.

His post and ESPECIALLY your post belongs in there.

I asked if anybody has seen it. Did I say that I think that is what is going to happen? I thought it looked pretty cool seeing the first GFS run bringing a snowstorm here at any point during the run. It's a sign that Fall is here!

I have seen it - here is the MeteoStar 16 dayer at newark NJ - its heavy rain to heavy wet snow

Its a good sign that these coastals are showing up on a regular basis now - all we need is the AO to kick into the negative phase - its been positive since Hurricane Irene came through ...NAO has been negative also another good sign

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KEWR

I have seen it - here is the MeteoStar 16 dayer at newark NJ - its heavy rain to heavy wet snow

Its a good sign that these coastals are showing up on a regular basis now - all we need is the AO to kick into the negative phase - its been positive since Hurricane Irene came through ...NAO has been negative also another good sign

http://wxweb.meteost...shtml?text=KEWR

And it's actually accumuating snow, with temps getting into the 20s. It probably would never happen, but it's fun to look at.

2m temperatures are roasting so far (40's in the city and 50's in the NJ shore)---the timing is poor this run. The height of the storm is going to occur at 18z Saturday.

Probably pretty close to reality if we get a storm then. Snow is not that uncommon in the Poconos and Catskills that time of year, but down here it's incredibly hard to pull off.

Very important to note that the boundary layer temperatures portrayed are poor to begin with. The setup is nice but unfortunately it's like a whole bunch of rain changing to dynamic snow at the very tail end. The interior will fare better and may get some light accumulations.

If you have your hopes set higher than that--you're going to be disappointed.

Very important to note that the boundary layer temperatures portrayed are poor to begin with. The setup is nice but unfortunately it's like a whole bunch of rain changing to dynamic snow at the very tail end. The interior will fare better and may get some light accumulations.

on the island, i have zero hope of snow, im just pissed i need to get a halloween costume to begin with, and now ill be freezing in 40 degree rain on sat night. SOB.

Do you really think so? Honestly? With temps in the low to mid 30's, 850's at about -4 and heavy precip?

Mentioned it a bit last night--it's a generally smaller and more compact west based NAO but the positive height anomalies stand out pretty well for this time year. All of this is timed so precariously, too...makes you wonder if it just might work out to come closer to the coast. We will see.

I made several posts on it yesterday in the other thread

Gotcha, have only browsed through this thread really.. And yeah John, it is a cause to wonder at the very least.

Euro shows wintertime thickness and temp profiles. Doesn't matter that it's Oct. It would snow to the coast and in the valley (at least at the end).

Of course snow accumulations would still be strongly elevationally dependent with surface temps reluctant to fall through the 30s under 1000ft. But that happens even in the heart of winter. This progged airmass could definitely support snow, albeit marginally.

Amazing that the Catskills, Taconics, and Berkshires have two legitimate chances of 4" snowfalls within a 4 day period in late October!

Euro shows wintertime thickness and temp profiles. Doesn't matter that it's Oct. It would snow to the coast and in the valley (at least at the end).

Of course snow accumulations would still be strongly elevationally dependent with surface temps reluctant to fall through the 30s under 1000ft. But that happens even in the heart of winter. This progged airmass could definitely support snow, albeit marginally.

Amazing that the Catskills, Taconics, and Berkshires have two legitimate chances of 4" snowfalls within a 4 day period in late October!

With that exact setup, the euro just showed, I agree. That would be several hours of wet snow, even down to the coast.

Accumulations wouls be almost zero though, unless extremely heavy precip rates were occuring under a deformation band.

With that exact setup, the euro just showed, I agree. That would be several hours of wet snow, even down to the coast.

Accumulations will be almost zero though.

Yeah there would almost certainly be no accumulation below 500ft and within 50 miles of the ocean. But once in a while it does happen, when conditions are just perfect - usually at night - with a cold pool aloft and all the dynamical cooling processes working for us. And to have any chance of that semi-miracle occurring, we need a setup similar to the one depicted by the Euro for this weekend. And if it doesn't pan out perfectly, at least maybe the Highlands will be dusted white.

Archived