• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Gloria

CT Rain

Totally disagree. Irenes winds were strongest at the coast, not inland.

Bdr was sustained at 74 gusting to 92 are you nuts in saying they're even close to equal???

[/ No I am saying that Central CT got hammered by Gloria while areas to the East got hammered by Irene wind wise.

Hurricane Gloria produced weak category two hurricane conditions across southern Connecticut. Gloria continued to lose intensity as it passed over Long Island. Peak wind gusts in southcentral and southeastern Connecticut were likely near 95-mph as the tropical cyclone swept over the region. The metropolitan New Haven area was hit with wind gusts of 90-mph and heavy rain. There were only a few reports of minimal structural damage in southern Connecticut during Gloria. Tree damage in Connecticut was modestly heavy within 10 to 20-miles of the coast, and along the coast from around Bridgeport to the Lymes. The entire causeway in the Fenwick section of Old Saybrook was under water at the height of the hurricane, while several fishing piers near New Haven were also destroyed. Two persons were reported to have been killed by falling trees limbs in southern Connecticut - tragically one one these was a six year old girl.

Winds in Gloria even in eastern mass were worse than Irene. I posted the bdr obs earlier in this thread.

Nowhere in sne were irenes winds worse than Gloria. In fact in many areas they weren't even close.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much the storm that solidified my interest in meteorology. I was 6, yet remember it like yesterday.

I was 8...I remember begging my teacher to turn the news on at noon time to get the latest update on the black and white tv in my classroom. Price is Right was ending and Bob Barker still had black hair.

HRD max wind analysis (sustained) with Irene.

ftp://ftp.aoml.noaa....nd_NY_knots.pdf

max winds were 40-45 kt sustained in coastal locations from SW Connecticut to Martha's Vineyard.

excellent graphic. I remember driving towards the center of the storm as it passed across Westchester and Dutchess counties. I realize the stronger winds are displaced east of the center, but I knew the winds could not have been very strong at all over there.

excellent graphic. I remember driving towards the center of the storm as it passed across Westchester and Dutchess counties. I realize the stronger winds are displaced east of the center, but I knew the winds could not have been very strong at all over there.

Perhaps you guys missed the thread but some Trop mets have big issues with that HRD map.

Winds were predominately calm here in Dutchess county... my analog barometer had 964.5mb pressure as the center passed overhead

Winds were predominately calm here in Dutchess county... my analog barometer had 964.5mb pressure as the center passed overhead

I know the pressure in and around NYC was not far off from breaking records. Even though we had a weakening TS, the pressures were quite impressive.

Conimicut Point was sustained at 60mph and gusted to 80mph.

okay...big deal...so they might have been slightly higher than the HRD analysis. Who is to say that wasn't caused by some relatively isolated convective mixing in the feeder band that morning?

Do you agree or disagree with the NHC 55 kt landfall intensity?

Irene also another storm with crap winds with such low pressure. Another example of the pressure wind relationship not always working out..especially for large systems. Tiny systems are the opposite.

Yeah exactly the pressure gradient weakened quickly with Irene as the storm's core fell apart.

okay...big deal...so they might have been slightly higher than the HRD analysis. Who is to say that wasn't caused by some relatively isolated convective mixing in the feeder band that morning?

Do you agree or disagree with the NHC 55 kt landfall intensity?

The feeder bands had winds sustained higher than HRD said, inland winds were stronger brought down, not isolated at all, look at the damage patterns. Ask anyone who lives near the coast about wind damage, look at how much more tree damage was done inland. Yep55 knots is about right,

The feeder bands had winds sustained higher than HRD said, inland winds were stronger brought down, not isolated at all, look at the damage patterns. Ask anyone who lives near the coast about wind damage, look at how much more tree damage was done inland. Yep55 knots is about right,

lol keeping posting to yourself

I responded to Nick, should I bump your, tidal flooding will not be that bad as the timing has sped up post?

lol you live in a fantasy world dude

If you can't understand the difference between my posts of various thoughts that come to mind while I'm working as a meteorologist and an actual forecast than you really don't understand my posting style.

lol you live in a fantasy world dude

If you can't understand the difference between my posts of various thoughts that come to mind while I'm working as a meteorologist and an actual forecast than you really don't understand my posting style.

KSSB.

Kevin Spin School of Broadcasting

Check the thread bro, you should have known with NL that high the surge was rolling in with the tide. I posted right after you a chart and told you. I understand rational out loud thinking but that was not smart.

KSSB.

Kevin Spin School of Broadcasting

Check the thread bro, you should have known with NL that high the surge was rolling in with the tide. I posted right after you a chart and told you. I understand rational out loud thinking but that was not smart.

Considering I was hitting the surge harder than anyone else in the market (or even the NWS for that matter) your post makes no sense and just isn't true.

I posted 36 hours prior that we may avoid the worst with a change in timing. That wasn't a forecast but and observation. The storm's speed didn't change and obviously we got the worst.

But don't for one second question what I said on the air because I made about as big of a deal out of the surge threat as possible including telling people that it could be worse than 92 in many areas and telling people to evacuate.

Gloria was flying north and probably cut down on the extreme rain rates, but no question.....no question winds were worse in Gloria. Case closed. Surge was worse thanks to timing of high tide, not because surge in Irene was worse.

Oh yeah. BDR had something pathetic like 0.25" of rain from Gloria lol

Considering I was hitting the surge harder than anyone else in the market (or even the NWS for that matter) your post makes no sense and just isn't true.

Uh thats subjective as TWC and 3 were banging it very hard

I posted 36 hours prior that we may avoid the worst with a change in timing. That wasn't a forecast but and observation. The storm's speed didn't change and obviously we got the worst.

Ryan check the thread here ya go Ct Rain Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:30 AM

Think we'll miss the worst wind/high tide combo. Storm is fast enough.

Ginx Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:38 AM IDK about that, pushing into the sound

But don't for one second question what I said on the air because I made about as big of a deal out of the surge threat as possible including telling people that it could be worse than 92 in many areas and telling people to evacuate.

LOL , just look at the thread Ryan at 0630 in the morning, you can dish it out but do not like it when you get called out. Who said anything about your on air time anyway/ You did a fantastic job, just do not tell me I live in a fooking fantasy world, that was BS

Archived