• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Gloria

CT Rain

METAR KBDR 271600Z 09055G70KT 3/4SM -RA FG OVC007 22/21 A2895 RMK PRESFR PK WND 0970/45 SLP804 P0009 T02220206

METAR KBDR 271700Z 09060G72KT 1/2SM -RA FG OVC008 21/19 A2859 RMK PRESFR SLPNO P0011 T02110194

SPECI KBDR 271720Z 18064G80KT 3SM -RA FG OVC008 A2859 RMK PRESRR/LOWEST PRES 850/WSHFT APRNT EYE OVHD SLPNO 5100/

METAR KBDR 271800Z 28026G32KT 20SM BKN008 23/20 A2878 RMK PRESRR SLP746 P0002 T02330200

METAR KBDR 272000Z 26027G32KT 20SM SCT025 SCT150 22/17 A2928 RMK PRESRR SLP915 T02220167

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gloria was very intense at the height and brief. Irene was strong and steady here at the coast of branford for much longer period and did the same amount of damage because of that,but the tidal flooding from irene was much worse as all the old timers down here agree.I was out and on the beach for both events.Gloria is what kicked my storm chasing craze would pack up my davis ,weather box and chase storms and when asked what do you want to do with your life id stay chase storms!!! get laughed at and told no money in that " tv shows now" 1989 my first huge chase turned on twc in the morning saw storms comming out of canada moving sse said to my father north to southers!!! you know they make it to the coast without dying maritime air wont feed in ,father said check out the cirrus way high ,yep over 50,000 ..tornado weather.I made it to about albertus magnus that day before being stopped in my tracks.since then chased hundreds of severe t-storms and major some hurricanes also ..some close calls and my poor cars.

THANKS GLORIA!!!

gloria was very intense at the height and brief. Irene was strong and steady here at the coast of branford for much longer period and did the same amount of damage because of that,but the tidal flooding from irene was much worse as all the old timers down here agree.I was out and on the beach for both events.Gloria is what kicked my storm chasing craze would pack up my davis ,weather box and chase storms and when asked what do you want to do with your life id stay chase storms!!! get laughed at and told no money in that " tv shows now" 1989 my first huge chase turned on twc in the morning saw storms comming out of canada moving sse said to my father north to southers!!! you know they make it to the coast without dying maritime air wont feed in ,father said check out the cirrus way high ,yep over 50,000 ..tornado weather.I made it to about albertus magnus that day before being stopped in my tracks.since then chased hundreds of severe t-storms and major some hurricanes also ..some close calls and my poor cars.

THANKS GLORIA!!!

In terms of wind damage the 2 hours of 60-70 knot gusts during Gloria was enough to do more wind damage on the shoreline. The amount of debris on roads and on people's property was worse during Gloria than Irene... in some cases significantly.

For storm surge you're absolutely correct... Irene was much worse.

Well I don't think that's a fair comparison... the wind from Gloria and wind damage in most of CT was much more impressive than Irene.

When you add in the fresh water flooding and coastal flooding the impacts may have been similar as a whole.

Should be an interesting final insurance report comparison,. Last I heard 133 homes totally destroyed in Irene, any reports from Gloria?

From NC to VT?

An estimate released immediately after Irene by the Kinetic Analysis Corp., a Maryland-based consulting firm that uses computer models to estimate storm losses, put the damage at $7.2 billion in eight states and Washington, D.C.

That would eclipse damage from Hurricane Bob, which caused $1 billion in damage in New England in 1991 or the equivalent of about $1.7 billion today, and Hurricane Gloria, which swept through the region in 1985 and left $900 million in damage, the equivalent of $1.9 billion today, according to the Insurance Information Institute.

In CT, geographically do you think Irene had a larger impact in New England, the fresh water flooding after all is part of a hurricane, winds are not the only measure.

In terms of overall damage Irene was likely worst because after all most of the losses in hurricanes comes from flooding inland and surge at the coast.

In terms of wind and the storms intensity there is absolutely no doubt that Gloria was a stronger storm for SNE. Gloria produced little rain in CT and little coastal flooding so in terms of actual losses it will be less than Irene.

For weather weenies Gloria was by far the more impressive storm.

In terms of overall damage Irene was likely worst because after all most of the losses in hurricanes comes from flooding inland and surge at the coast.

In terms of wind and the storms intensity there is absolutely no doubt that Gloria was a stronger storm for SNE. Gloria produced little rain in CT and little coastal flooding so in terms of actual losses it will be less than Irene.

For weather weenies Gloria was by far the more impressive storm.

Violently agreed.

Archived