joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Gloria

CT Rain

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget, 26 years ago....we had less coastal build up and population in general. You take Gloria into the same area in 2011...guaranteed damage would be more than projected damage in 2011 dollars.

Absolutely. Just using inflation to adjust for losses only gives you part of the story. Property values have also increased much faster than inflation particularly on the shoreline.

sandbag fetish FTW

Why denigrate a discussion. Societal impacts from an entity of tropical origin are not entirely based on wind effect, the totality of impact must be taken into consideration. There were some nice winds in Irene too just not as high as Gloria but combined with all other elements, is there a doubt Irene was more damaging than Gloria?

Don't forget, 26 years ago....we had less coastal build up and population in general. You take Gloria into the same area in 2011...guaranteed damage would be more than projected damage in 2011 dollars.

How many homes were destroyed by Gloria? By the way as far as II read none of the homes destroyed in LIS were new construction.

METAR KBDR 271600Z 09055G70KT 3/4SM -RA FG OVC007 22/21 A2895 RMK PRESFR PK WND 0970/45 SLP804 P0009 T02220206

METAR KBDR 271700Z 09060G72KT 1/2SM -RA FG OVC008 21/19 A2859 RMK PRESFR SLPNO P0011 T02110194

SPECI KBDR 271720Z 18064G80KT 3SM -RA FG OVC008 A2859 RMK PRESRR/LOWEST PRES 850/WSHFT APRNT EYE OVHD SLPNO 5100/

METAR KBDR 271800Z 28026G32KT 20SM BKN008 23/20 A2878 RMK PRESRR SLP746 P0002 T02330200

METAR KBDR 272000Z 26027G32KT 20SM SCT025 SCT150 22/17 A2928 RMK PRESRR SLP915 T02220167

How did you get obs like that? I don't recall METARs being used back then. Obs came over the wire with SA or SP and the three letter identifier as far as I can remember. I think they changed over to METARs a few years after I finished college.

Some where I have a box with obs from Gloria...If I find them, I'll add them to the discussion.

How did you get obs like that? I don't recall METARs being used back then. Obs came over the wire with SA or SP and the three letter identifier as far as I can remember. I think they changed over to METARs a few years after I finished college.

Some where I have a box with obs from Gloria...If I find them, I'll add them to the discussion.

Wunderground converted the old SA and SP to METAR. The conversions aren't always perfect so you get some funky things.

Wunderground converted the old SA and SP to METAR. The conversions aren't always perfect so you get some funky things.

I have the SVC "A" obs here old format!

My scanner is screwed up so i took a snapshot of one of the RECCO's (vortex message) that I have.

The eye diameter was C13 @ the time of the recco. RMKS as follow;

FREQ LTNG

CLR ABV

BEAUTIFUL EYE=

Approx 2 hours later it was C8 pressr was down to 919 mbs EXTRAPOLATED FROM 700HpA

ADDITIONAL REMARKS:

CLR ABV

STADIUM EFFECT WALL CLOUD

I have the SVC "A" obs here old format!

My scanner is screwed up so i took a snapshot of one of the RECCO's (vortex message) that I have.

FREQ LTNG

CLR ABV

BEAUTIFUL EYE=

Approx 2 hours later it was C8 pressr was down to 919 mbs EXTRAPOLATED FROM 700HpA

ADDITIONAL REMARKS:

CLR ABV

Wow, that's pretty cool. Gloria was a beast.

OK....just wondering. I kinda miss the old school stuff sometimes. I left the business in the early 90s and didn't really get back into things until a few years ago so I'm still picking up new things.

For what ever reason, I think Gloria had a bigger impact than Irene had. I recall much more preparation type stories on the news and then afterward I remember there was much more of a relief effort. I lived in Somers and was without power for 8 days and volunteered to work at the fire department to supply water for people like we were (without water). I just remember more stuff like that going on after Gloria than Irene.

OK....just wondering. I kinda miss the old school stuff sometimes. I left the business in the early 90s and didn't really get back into things until a few years ago so I'm still picking up new things.

For what ever reason, I think Gloria had a bigger impact than Irene had. I recall much more preparation type stories on the news and then afterward I remember there was much more of a relief effort. I lived in Somers and was without power for 8 days and volunteered to work at the fire department to supply water for people like we were (without water). I just remember more stuff like that going on after Gloria than Irene.

For starters Gloria was probably the first national media hyped hurricane I remember all that too especially across LI and SE CT. LILCO was atrocious in its power restoration attempts. However I have to disagree on your impact assessment IMO IRENE was far more damaging than Gloria was. If you include the total population that was impacted by both storms hands down Irene affected way more people directly and indirectly.

Another off-shoot of Gloria - the birth of the Canadian Hurricane Center

JUST A RANDOM THOUGHT ON MY PART : If hurricanes had a NESDIS type impact scale like snowstorms do, I would think IRENE would have a higher ranking than GLORIA

FREQ LTNG

CLR ABV

BEAUTIFUL EYE=

ADDITIONAL REMARKS:

CLR ABV

Funny seeing those old "teletype" reports. I remember them well! I have a bunch of them from when I was in college from Hurricane Glibert. I also have some handwritten notes that a fellow Lyndon grad had made when he was on a reconnaissance flight and recorded the lowest pressure recorded in the western hemisphere. It was pretty neat. I also have some from Gloria including some DIFAX charts. One of them is a satellite photo....imagine that!

Funny seeing those old "teletype" reports. I remember them well! I have a bunch of them from when I was in college from Hurricane Glibert. I also have some handwritten notes that a fellow Lyndon grad had made when he was on a reconnaissance flight and recorded the lowest pressure recorded in the western hemisphere. It was pretty neat. I also have some from Gloria including some DIFAX charts. One of them is a satellite photo....imagine that!

LOL.. Same here Herb. The difax map paper is still in pretty decent shape maybe even a bit more flammable than usual!

Surprisingly Gloria peak gust in CT was 83, not much stronger than Irenes 81.At Blue Hill which also recorded an 83 in Gloria. I suspect many inland areas in CT during Irene ecorded higher gusts than coastal areas and that's pretty obvious with much more tree damage at elevation, Glorias max winds seemed concentrated on Central and coastal central CT.

Surprisingly Gloria peak gust in CT was 83, not much stronger than Irenes 81.At Blue Hill which also recorded an 83 in Gloria. I suspect many inland areas in CT during Irene ecorded higher gusts than coastal areas and that's pretty obvious with much more tree damage at elevation, Glorias max winds seemed concentrated on Central and coastal central CT.

Totally disagree. Irenes winds were strongest at the coast, not inland.

Bdr was sustained at 74 gusting to 92 are you nuts in saying they're even close to equal???

Totally disagree. Irenes winds were strongest at the coast, not inland.

Bdr was sustained at 74 gusting to 92 are you nuts in saying they're even close to equal???

[/ No I am saying that Central CT got hammered by Gloria while areas to the East got hammered by Irene wind wise.

Hurricane Gloria produced weak category two hurricane conditions across southern Connecticut. Gloria continued to lose intensity as it passed over Long Island. Peak wind gusts in southcentral and southeastern Connecticut were likely near 95-mph as the tropical cyclone swept over the region. The metropolitan New Haven area was hit with wind gusts of 90-mph and heavy rain. There were only a few reports of minimal structural damage in southern Connecticut during Gloria. Tree damage in Connecticut was modestly heavy within 10 to 20-miles of the coast, and along the coast from around Bridgeport to the Lymes. The entire causeway in the Fenwick section of Old Saybrook was under water at the height of the hurricane, while several fishing piers near New Haven were also destroyed. Two persons were reported to have been killed by falling trees limbs in southern Connecticut - tragically one one these was a six year old girl.

Archived