• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
September Snowstorms.

SpartyOn

I briefly did a google search on significant Midwest September snow storms. I came up with a very interesting write up by La Crosse WI WFO. We are talking about a rare thing for the rustbelt cities with the exception of freak LES outbreaks. If any of you guys got other info on previous freak September Snowstorms feel free to enlighten us..

http://www.crh.noaa....p1942_snowstorm

:snowman::snowman:

I briefly did a google search on significant Midwest September snow storms. I came up with a very interesting write up by La Crosse WI WFO. We are talking about a rare thing for the rustbelt cities with the exception of freak LES outbreaks. If any of you guys got other info on previous freak September Snowstorms feel free to enlighten us..

That avatar is ****ing epic!

Wow that was a highly unusual event to say the least. I knew that September 25th was the earliest measureable snow at MLI, but I had never seen what caused it. What surprises me is how widespread those snows were. Sounds like even down in Iowa the snow fell fairly heavily, but the warm ground kept much of it from sticking. This thread is making me really look forward to snowstorm season now. :snowing:

Cool, good luck! You should include Baro's quote lol.

slowly getting closer to winter.

I will be giving a talk in November at College of DuPage on the blizzard with another met major and hopefully Paul Merzlock, retired forecaster from LOT to join us. I can't wait for that.

I will be giving a talk in November at College of DuPage on the blizzard with another met major and hopefully Paul Merzlock, retired forecaster from LOT to join us. I can't wait for that.

Cool, good luck! You should include Baro's quote lol.

LMAO, you should definitely include it, haha. For real though, sounds awesome, should be a great opportunity. What are you going to discuss? I can contribute anything if you want.

I assume the main topic of discussion will be the widely accepted northwest trend algorithm? :tomato:

and how the GFS/NAM still didn't have clue even 12-24 hours from the event! haha

I remember the clown maps were showing 12+ here within a day or two of the event but the forecast soundings were so razor thin that you knew you better not get too excited.

Anyway, pretty impressive to see measurable snow so far south in September

From GRR.

Southwest Lower Michigan Weather History

The Weather History for September 27th

9/27/1942

Snowflakes fly across Lower Michigan as temperatures fall to the lower 30s and only rise into the 40s during the day.

However there is also this the day before in 1965.

9/26/1965

Wet snow mixes in with rain across parts of western Michigan for a very early taste of winter.

Others..

9/29/1967

Wet snowflakes fell at Grand Rapids and Lansing. The high of 42 degrees at Lansing is the coldest high temperature for the month of September.

Accumulating wise ( Inch or better ) one has to go to Oct 10th 1906.

10/10/1906

An early season snowstorm drops 4 to 8 inches of snow from Ludington to South Haven. Temperatures plunge into the teens the next morning, killing thousands of fruit trees, enough to alter the agricultural economy of southwest Lower Michigan.

Then ofcourse there is Oct 12th 2006 which brought that crazy LES event that dumped 6-10 between here and Hastings.

That is all i could find or recall.

What is also remarkable about the 1967 event is because of it 1967 is the only year in recorded history ( at places like KBTL ) which featured snow in every month except June, July, and August! Yes there was May flakes as well just prior to the September event and more in Oct as well. Why i call 1967 the gold standard as far as snow goes. Ofcourse this is the same year as the Jan 67 blizz which dumped 29-32" inches of snow here. For a snow lover in THIS area it does not get much better then that.

Earliest snowfall events.

SEPTEMBER 25

...CHICAGO... SEPTEMBER 25, 1928: THIS DATE HAS THE HONOR AS BEING THE EARLIEST TIME IN A FALL SEASON THAT SNOW FELL ACROSS CHICAGO. ONLY A TRACE OF SNOWFALL WAS RECORDED...AND IT MELTED QUICKLY AS THE HIGH TEMPERATURE REACHED 50 DEGREES. THERE WAS ALSO A TRACE OF SNOW TO FALL ON THIS DATE IN 1942.

On Sep 25 in weather history...

1942 -- Fort Wayne's earliest snowfall occurred when a few flurries fell. A trace of snow fell again on the 27th, and these remain the only two September snowfalls on record at Fort Wayne. It was South Bend's earliest snowfall as well, with 0.2" recorded.

On Sep 26 in weather history...

1942 -- Goshen received .3" of snowfall.

From GRR.

However there is also this the day before in 1965.

Others..

Accumulating wise ( Inch or better ) one has to go to Oct 10th 1906.

Then ofcourse there is Oct 12th 2006 which brought that crazy LES event that dumped 6-10 between here and Hastings.

That is all i could find or recall.

Officially Detroits first snowflakes were Oct 1, 1974. However, if Im not mistaken, I believe DTW reported a trace of snow in Sept 1942, but at the time DET ( no snow observed) was still the official station for Detroit. 1942-43 was by a MILE the best winter of the pathetic 1940s here. The total snowfall at Detroit of 44.4" was the snowiest for sure (next closest was 32.2"), and also snow depth peaked at 11" in January (though at DTW, which again was not yet the official, snow depth was as high as 16"). For comparison, the next highest snow depth (outside of '42-43) at any time in the 1940s was 8" in Jan 1945.

Not saying Sept snow is necessarily good...seeing that Sept 1965 snow makes me cringe, as 1965-66 was a sucky winter. Just goes to show that when looking at past data, there are always 2 sides!

Earliest snow storm in Oklahoma was on 17 September in 1971 with 3 inches in Kenton (the far northwest corner of the Panhandle). What may surprise some is that Amarillo received snow as early as 29 September in 1984. Other Texas locations picked up snow in September in 1936 and 1945 among other years.

And don't forget the hard freeze (32°F at Fort Gibson, Indian Territory, and cattle frozen to death near Fort Supply, Indian Territory [now Oklahoma]) and Iowa snow on 16 September 1881.

In Milwaukee, the earliest trace of snowfall was September 20 (tomorrow coincidentally), and its earliest measurable snowfall was October 6, 1889. However, when I see that its average first trace of snow is late October, and its average first snowfall of greater than 1" is Dec. 2, it reminds me how far away winter still is.

Archived