• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
TS Nate

I find this one interesting. (I usually don't host individual cyclone threads-- since I have my hands full with the main NATL and EPAC threads, and also my chase threads-- but I thought I would this time-- so I hope y'all don't mind. :sun:)

The latest Euro solution-- accelerating a strong, compact cyclone NNE across the Gulf-- is pure hawtness.

I notice the SHIPS is not terribly enthused just yet, bringing it up to only 44 kt by Day 5.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

95L is now Disturbance 14 looking at SHIPs/BAMs...

WHXX01 KWBC 061852  

CHGHUR  

TROPICAL CYCLONE GUIDANCE MESSAGE  

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL  

1852 UTC TUE SEP 6 2011  

DISCLAIMER...NUMERICAL MODELS ARE SUBJECT TO LARGE ERRORS.  

PLEASE REFER TO NHC OFFICIAL FORECASTS FOR TROPICAL CYCLONE  

AND SUBTROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION.  

ATLANTIC OBJECTIVE AIDS FOR  

DISTURBANCE INVEST (AL962011) 20110906 1800 UTC  

...00 HRS...   ...12 HRS...   ...24 HRS. ..   ...36 HRS...  

110906  1800   110907  0600   110907  1800   110908  0600  

LAT    LON     LAT    LON     LAT    LON     LAT    LON  

BAMS    20.6N  93.8W   19.7N  94.8W   19.0N  95.9W   18.0N  96.8W  

BAMD    20.6N  93.8W   19.7N  94.7W   18.6N  95.9W   17.8N  97.2W  

BAMM    20.6N  93.8W   19.9N  94.8W   19.0N  95.9W   17.9N  97.1W  

LBAR    20.6N  93.8W   20.3N  94.1W   20.8N  94.8W   21.6N  95.3W  

SHIP        25KTS          29KTS          38KTS          47KTS  

DSHP        25KTS          29KTS          38KTS          29KTS  

...48 HRS...   ...72 HRS...   ...96 HRS. ..   ..120 HRS...  

110908  1800   110909  1800   110910  1800   110911  1800  

LAT    LON     LAT    LON     LAT    LON     LAT    LON  

BAMS    16.9N  97.5W   15.5N  98.0W   13.7N  98.6W   12.6N 101.5W  

BAMD    17.2N  98.6W   16.6N 101.3W   16.8N 104.0W   17.6N 107.6W  

BAMM    17.0N  98.3W   15.6N 100.2W   14.3N 102.1W   12.8N 105.2W  

LBAR    23.0N  95.3W   27.5N  93.3W   33.9N  86.6W   40.9N  72.8W  

SHIP        56KTS          68KTS          73KTS          75KTS  

DSHP        28KTS          37KTS          42KTS          44KTS  

...INITIAL CONDITIONS...  

LATCUR =  20.6N LONCUR =  93.8W DIRCUR = 155DEG SPDCUR =   3KT  

LATM12 =  21.5N LONM12 =  94.3W DIRM12 = 153DEG SPDM12 =   5KT  

LATM24 =  23.0N LONM24 =  95.0W  

WNDCUR =   25KT RMAXWD =   60NM WNDM12 =   25KT  

CENPRS = 1008MB OUTPRS = 1010MB OUTRAD =  120NM SDEPTH =   S  

RD34NE =    0NM RD34SE =    0NM RD34SW =    0NM RD34NW =   0NM  

$$  

I find this one interesting. (I usually don't host individual cyclone threads-- since I have my hands full with the main NATL and EPAC threads, and also my chase threads-- but I thought I would this time-- so I hope y'all don't mind. :sun:)

I notice the SHIPS is not terribly enthused just yet, bringing it up to 44 kt by Day 5.

Opinion of DSHP notwithstanding, I believe 96L has the potential to develop into a strong tropical storm or even a hurricane over the next 5 days.. With 96L developing over waters of 30°C-31°C and later crossing waters >29°C for much of its journey northward, I believe the system has a reasonable chance to reach Category 1 status. Initially, development will probably be slow. But at some point, it could really take off, perhaps with the storm increasing its maximum sustained winds by 25-30 knots over a 36-48-hour period to bring it to hurricane strength.

In terms of track, for a rough idea based on the forecast 500 mb pattern, something between the tracks of Tropical Storm #5 (1898) and Hurricane #4 (1902) is probably more likely than other ideas. The 9/6 12z ECMWF takes the system on a track not too far to the west of the latter storm's track.

The high will be our friend this time is Euro is to be trusted, no way it comes near us, fairly weak pressure gradient this far away from the microcane. No more gusty winds downing power lines or spreading the fires. The trees will still all die, but I am all about finding the silver lining.

post-138-0-65773100-1315338211.gif

Opinion of DSHP notwithstanding, I believe 96L has the potential to develop into a strong tropical storm or even a hurricane over the next 5 days.. With 96L developing over waters of 30°C-31°C and later crossing waters >29°C for much of its journey northward, I believe the system has a reasonable chance to reach Category 1 status. Initially, development will probably be slow. But at some point, it could really take off, perhaps with the storm increasing its maximum sustained winds by 25-30 knots over a 36-48-hour period to bring it to hurricane strength.

In terms of track, for a rough idea based on the forecast 500 mb pattern, something between the tracks of Tropical Storm #5 (1898) and Hurricane #4 (1902) is probably more likely than other ideas. The 9/6 12z ECMWF takes the system on a track not too far to the west of the latter storm's track.

Awesome, Don! I was just wondering, "What does Don think about this?" and here is your post. :sun: Cool that you see some 'cane potential in this!

I have to admit, I had to look up those analogs-- I was not aware of them, despite being a self-proclaimed history nerd. :D

For those of you who aren't familiar with these examples, Don is suggesting landfall on the Middle Gulf Coast, between Lake Charles, LA, and Pensacola, FL.

About the SHIPS... it uses the BAMM model for track, until there's an official NHC forecast... so it's quite useless at the moment, especially if we consider that there won't be a closed low for at least 24-36 hours.

Right now the Euro is the right outlier... my guess is that all GFS offspring will have a MX LF (not saying they are right, but since they are based on the more leftward global model, it's natural to think that is gonna happen... the BAMs are one example). CMC is a bit north of the GFS, extrapolating it would be a MX landfall... Ukie is a bit to the right of the CMC, slower, and could go either way. If it's a N GOM landfall, shear and the possible start of some baroclinical transition would limit it's intensity to no more than a strong cat 1 probably, IMO... though the Euro thinks shear will not be that detrimental.

About the SHIPS... it uses the BAMM model for track, until there's an official NHC forecast... so it's quite useless at the moment, especially if we consider that there won't be a closed low for at least 24-36 hours.

Right now the Euro is the right outlier... my guess is that all GFS offspring will have a MX LF (not saying they are right, but since they are based on the more leftward global model, it's natural to think that is gonna happen happen). CMC is a bit north of the GFS, extrapolating it would be a MX landfall... Ukie is a bit to the right of the CMC, slower, and could go either way... if it's a N GOM landfall, shear and the possible start of some baroclinical transition would limit it's intensity to no more than a strong cat 1 probably, IMO

Ah, OK. I see the BAMs all bring it SW into MX, so no wonder the DSHIPS intensities are so blah.

Euro ensemble members are spread out from just west of Tampico NE to the central/east Gulf Coast- most are SW of the Op.

If you can see the individual members, I assume its fairly binary, with Southeast Texas 'protected' from drought relief by the ridge? All Mexico/extreme DST or all North/Central Gulf?

The entrainment of dry air would be a significant negative for intensification if it took a track toward the northern Gulf Coast as the ECMWF suggests. Not sold on this one yet...

shear looks like an issue, too, given the upper system (remnant lee) still in place over the midwest/mississippi valley.

Environment is extremely dry to the north of the system, advecting southward on the backside of the remnant circulation of Lee. I would think this would inhibit development at least for the next few days.

As long as this stays in the low-shear environment in the Bay of Campeche or Central GOM, the dry air really shouldn't be an issue since it's not necessarily advecting radially inward towards the center. The dryness of the environmental air may constrict the TC's size, which is suggested by some papers in the literature and shown by the global models' depiction of a microcane-type of TC.

As long as this stays in the low-shear environment in the Bay of Campeche or Central GOM, the dry air really shouldn't be an issue since it's not necessarily advecting radially inward towards the center. The dryness of the environmental air may constrict the TC's size, which is suggested by some papers in the literature and shown by the global models' depiction of a microcane-type of TC.

Interesting-- I never realized there could be a relationship, but it makes sense. Which general direction do you see it going-- and do you feel the system has potential?

Interesting-- I never realized there could be a relationship, but it makes sense. Which general direction do you see it going-- and do you feel the system has potential?

It will be trapped down there in the Bay of Campeche for at least the next 3 days, that's about the only thing I'm confident of as far as track is concerned. Beyond that there seems to be two camps, with one accelerating the storm towards the northern Gulf coast, while the other has it continuing to drift towards the west or northwest. I do think this has considerable potential if this doesn't accelerate too quickly towards the northern Gulf coast. The small size, copius ocean heat content and low shear environment all point to quick intensification once it organizes its core.

I really don't know which way this one is going to go yet. Given the bias that normally occurs during a La Nina year, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the ridging builds in stronger than the ECWMF is expecting... then again it just blew a forecast where it was doing just that last week with Lee. The main difference here is that 96L is a much smaller circulation and would likely be more susceptible to even a weaker ridge than what we were dealing with for Lee. The SOI dailies have also been running significantly more positive the last few days, so that also points towards more ridging potentially than currently forecasted.

If I had to lean one way, I think the GFS has the better idea here, but I'd prefer to wait and see the circulation become established before making any sort of bold call.

It needs to stay small and form fairly far S if it's going to take that southern route. If it gets to be a larger storm or forms farther N than the GFS implies, I cannot see it staying on that southern track unless the EC and its ensembles are just totally wrong with their 5 day mid/upper level pattern.

It needs to stay small and form fairly far S if it's going to take that southern route. If it gets to be a larger storm or forms farther N than the GFS implies, I cannot see it staying on that southern track unless the EC and its ensembles are just totally wrong with their 5 day mid/upper level pattern.

FWIW, the 12Z GFS EnKF is way NE of the op run, has it about 200 miles S of Vermilion Bay, LA as a deep cyclone (965 mb) at day 7. 12Z FIMY is more similar to the ECMWF as far as timing but is farther E, landfalling a 992 mb low near Destin on day 5.

It's just like any tropical system, where/when it develops is going to be key to whether it does the western or northeastern track. BTW, NHC has it as mandarin now.

Archived