Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
August 22-31 Severe Weather Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics Tsnow! Love the stacked striations.

One thing we have going for us is a pretty strong low-level jet which could help quite a bit in advecting warm/humid air back in a little quicker than normal this afternoon. It may be close, but if we can get a decent period of insolation that could do wonders for this setup later today. The next outlook update should be interesting. :popcorn:

This setup could go either way imo. There are always exceptions but this is usually about the time when you want to see things starting to clear out.

I think the window is pretty much closed between MKE/ORD, still think places further southwest are in play, including Cyclone's area.

This setup could go either way imo. There are always exceptions but this is usually about the time when you want to see things starting to clear out.

Yeah, it's only 65 here as we approach noon lol. As I mentioned earlier though, the strong low-level wind fields may help bring back in much warmer/unstable air later on this afternoon. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Even if the 4KM WRF initialized poorly, it's not the only model showing action b/w ORD and MKE. If we can get these pesky clouds to break, there is still time until the vital features arrive.

It's possible but I personally think chances for widespread severe weather this far east are slim, storms sure. As was mentioned earlier, you're arleady seeing CU get going west across Iowa, i'm banking on things taking off to our west and eventually sliding south before any real instability builds in here. I'm open to being wrong.

It's possible but I personally think chances for widespread severe weather this far east are slim, storms sure. As was mentioned earlier, you're arleady seeing CU get going west across Iowa, i'm banking on things taking off to our west and eventually sliding south before any real instability builds in here. I'm open to being wrong.

Ya im banking on stuff to fire say northeast of DSM to north and east of DBQ and pushing SSE along the instability gradient. I'm sure we'll see storms here later tonight but the best svr threat will be west of I-39 to cyclone country IMO

clearing line through DBQ-DVN-MUT.

Pretty impressive contrast in conditions either side of the outflow/warm front over Iowa. Still in the mid 60s near DVN, but upper 80s just west of Iowa City. Dews are hovering in the lower 70s there as well. With all the rain this morning, even higher dews are possible once the warm front/outflow boundary retreats northeastward. Southeast Minnesota down into northeast Iowa look pretty decent later today. With that rockin' LLJ pointing at Chicago later today and this evening, they will eventually destabilize, but to what degree that remains to be seen. Looks like SPC has a pretty good handle on things based on their new outlook.

Pretty impressive contrast in conditions either side of the outflow/warm front over Iowa. Still in the mid 60s near DVN, but upper 80s just west of Iowa City. Dews are hovering in the lower 70s there as well. With all the rain this morning, even higher dews are possible once the warm front/outflow boundary retreats northeastward. Southeast Minnesota down into northeast Iowa look pretty decent later today. With that rockin' LLJ pointing at Chicago later today and this evening, they will eventually destabilize, but to what degree that remains to be seen. Looks like SPC has a pretty good handle on things based on their new outlook.

The RUC really destabilizes us by 0z so we'll see, the clearing line is moving at a decent speed. The NAM also gives us a decent amount of instability later on.

Archived