Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
forget about the 12/12-13 storm threat

forkyfork

the blocking is gone by that point and every model cuts the storm west

also notice the big vortex in northern canada... not favorable for us

i was telling people not to jump ship yesterday and wait it out, but now i lost most hope for big city snows. Oh well

The models don't seem to be too consistent yet like atownwxwatcher said, but if I had to make a first call for this storm, I'd go with a mainly, if not plain rain event for NYC, with the potential for heavy rainfall and windy conditions once again if the models showing the storm to our west verify. Unless we see some major changes with the models, it looks like this storm is going to stay near or west of NYC.

As much as the models have been flip flopping and as well as they have been doing with high temperatures ..I think i will take my chances and spin the roulette before taking there word at 7 days out...

Just make sure you buy in with at least twenty nickels and cover the roulette chart before you spin that wheel. You hit - It's 35 to 1 odds. Give yourslef every chance to win there is.......... ;)

amazing how good the pattern looked like a week ago on models for this upcoming mid week-weekend and now almost opposite. this is definitely telling me that the models are gonna have huge problems this winter. Don't trust anything 3+ days out.. arrowheadsmiley.png

At the very least I'd be worried about a secondary popping east of the Appalachains considering the neg nao/ao in place. 9 times out of 10, models become more bullish w/ low level CAD and weaken the primary lows w/ a -NAO/AO regime. It could very well be all rain if the trough acquires a neg tilt too early, but when have we ever been confident in D6-7 model projections? If all snow was shown right now I'd be just as concerned.

Remember the neutral to weak Nina just 2 yrs ago? Almost all models (EC excluded) held a solution from five to eight days out then at hours 60 to 48 bam, models changed, usually in the form of rain that yr. Perhaps we,re seeing Nina model inconsistency again this year, but hrs 144 - still way to far out.

At the very least I'd be worried about a secondary popping east of the Appalachains considering the neg nao/ao in place. 9 times out of 10, models become more bullish w/ low level CAD and weaken the primary lows w/ a -NAO/AO regime. It could very well be all rain if the trough acquires a neg tilt too early, but when have we ever been confident in D6-7 model projections? If all snow was shown right now I'd be just as concerned.

How about a track like this?

Obviously this would not be too well for the big cities...but the means & the ops have been bouncing back and forth to a track similar to something along these lines ...

with an Apps runner like is currently modeled, I would normally expect CAD and some over-running snow to start.

BUT, with the SE flow ahead of the Clipper, and the lack of an active STJ, we're dealing with warmer temps and limited moisture on the front end, which probably eliminates all over-running snow potential.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Of course, that is not to say we don't get snow on the back end if it decides NOT to occlude into W NY.

Have seen it many times with coastals, waiting for the precip. to change over to snow. But as the precip. ends then the cold air comes rushing in. Probably pretty much what will happen in SE Pa. with reguards to this storm. You need the transfer off the Va. coast for snow in S. Pa. Any farther North its to late.

interestingly enough, Mount Holly puts chc of snow in the grids:

Sunday: Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday Night: A chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Monday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

What I'm mainly surprised about is Monday, and that they went all snow. I mean yeah it's 6 days out and just a gridded forecast, but I expected almost all rain.

Archived